Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 11-28-2019, 10:07 AM

Cable stops are on the frame because I may want to do mechanical on it at some point in the future. I waffled on Campy 12 and eTap and eTap won out for now.

All paint and fabrication was done in house at Scarab in Colombia. The California angle is the bike is living here, and combining two artists from the two places seemed like a fun concept to have the paint guys tackle.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:30 AM

Love love love this bike. I cannot wait to see it in person. Other than the paint which is off the charts, I am so impressed with how balanced the tubes are. It’s hard to believe that those bars are 35’s and look so balanced. Y’all nailed it.

Last edited by joosttx; 11-28-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:07 PM

From looking at the brake set up i would imagine it can fit 700x28 rubber easily.
Old 11-28-2019, 12:25 PM

Spectacular!
Please say more about how the paint and design process worked. Mock-ups? Or do you discuss the influences and then finally a person at Scarab takes it all and runs with it?
Old 11-28-2019, 01:12 PM

Not pretentious to reference great sources at all ... that paint job is STUNNING. Thanks for brightening my Turkey Day, gorgeous bike!
Old 11-28-2019, 01:12 PM

Really well done. I've ridden a Scarab and the ride is excellent. Nate knows what he is doing for sure.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:14 PM

Wow - that's a great looking bike - LOVE the paint - very Pegoretti.

Great... now I want one....
Old 11-28-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Spectacular!
Please say more about how the paint and design process worked. Mock-ups? Or do you discuss the influences and then finally a person at Scarab takes it all and runs with it?
I think it started with Nate and I generally discussing what I wanted, and I asked if he was fine with something weird, and he was into something weird. And we started talking artists, and I'd had a mind to have a bike done up Diebenkorn-esque one of these days, and then the Mayo stuff made sense for a logo motif, though that was all the Scarab guys. Essentially it was "I like Diebenkorn and Mayo, whattaya say to that?"

There was a mock-up after Nate and I hashed out the high level, but the caveat was there'd be some variability in what the finished product looked like once they got down to masking and all that. So we had a concept, but it really came down to the Scarab paint team, and I think it shows there's a lot of their own flavor in there as well.

I'm really happy with the finished product and honestly I'd be disappointed if it was just a stenciling of, say, the Ocean Park series on a frame.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:33 PM

Frankly, it looks more like a bupresid than a scarab.... that’s a little entomology humor.

Love this bike!!!
Old 11-28-2019, 06:22 PM

It's a testament to clear communication, trust, and creative talent. Coolest finish I've ever seen in a bike. Kudos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I think it started with Nate and I generally discussing what I wanted, and I asked if he was fine with something weird, and he was into something weird. And we started talking artists, and I'd had a mind to have a bike done up Diebenkorn-esque one of these days, and then the Mayo stuff made sense for a logo motif, though that was all the Scarab guys. Essentially it was "I like Diebenkorn and Mayo, whattaya say to that?"

There was a mock-up after Nate and I hashed out the high level, but the caveat was there'd be some variability in what the finished product looked like once they got down to masking and all that. So we had a concept, but it really came down to the Scarab paint team, and I think it shows there's a lot of their own flavor in there as well.

I'm really happy with the finished product and honestly I'd be disappointed if it was just a stenciling of, say, the Ocean Park series on a frame.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:58 AM

saaaaaweeeet
Old 12-02-2019, 05:41 PM

first and foremost - thanks to Joe for letting us go way off-piste with this one. my background in custom bikes has taught me that letting folks get funky with paint usually ends poorly (hence we have a pretty linear paint process), but a buncha mutual trust let this one end where it did. which is to say, killer!

we wrote a bit about it, just went up...now: https://www.scarabcycles.com/journal/presentingrauch

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
I am curious to hear Nate on this one. I have read some of his comments here and he mentions having his own ideas on those and other geom. numbers.
Nice paint!
it's not that weird. it rides the way it does because joe told me what he wanted in a bike. he already knew where his bars and saddle needed to be, which is 87% of the battle. i knew he wasn't the most confident descender, and drew up the geo to mirror that without sacrificing go-ness uphill/on the flats. my colleague santiago came in with the spirit tube selection based on my input/geo numbers, and this is...well, it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
Love that bike. Well done. Nice that there are cable stops on it even though you're not using them (now). Do you know any of the geometry? Partly self-interest, as it looks like it would fit me (bigger size and all).

Just out of curiosity, how do you like those wheels compared to others you may have ridden?

So, where was this made? You mention Colombia, and then California. Paint was done where?
we do everything in-house outside of medellín, Colombia. on rim-brake bikes, we make our own dropouts. our paint process has been a LONG time in the making, and i'd put it right up against most of the best. it's permanently evolving.

i run our US studio in san francisco and exist on a steady diet of slack video calls/bocadillos colombia tosses in frame boxes, hence the colombia/california confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post

honored, sir!
Old 12-02-2019, 10:09 PM

Loved the interview.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
first and foremost - thanks to Joe for letting us go way off-piste with this one. my background in custom bikes has taught me that letting folks get funky with paint usually ends poorly (hence we have a pretty linear paint process), but a buncha mutual trust let this one end where it did. which is to say, killer!

we wrote a bit about it, just went up...now: https://www.scarabcycles.com/journal/presentingrauch

it's not that weird. it rides the way it does because joe told me what he wanted in a bike. he already knew where his bars and saddle needed to be, which is 87% of the battle. i knew he wasn't the most confident descender, and drew up the geo to mirror that without sacrificing go-ness uphill/on the flats. my colleague santiago came in with the spirit tube selection based on my input/geo numbers, and this is...well, it.

we do everything in-house outside of medellín, Colombia. on rim-brake bikes, we make our own dropouts. our paint process has been a LONG time in the making, and i'd put it right up against most of the best. it's permanently evolving.

i run our US studio in san francisco and exist on a steady diet of slack video calls/bocadillos colombia tosses in frame boxes, hence the colombia/california confusion.

honored, sir!
Join the club. Meet you on top of Hiller. I'll bring the discs
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM

The RAUCH! Want to see this in person, love it.