Old 01-19-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
You can still buy one if you want one.
Yeah I know but it's not the same.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
I always enjoyed the Canadian ship visits, not the least because we could have a beer on board.
Rules changed recently. Apparently some sailors were having too good of a time. Alcohol consumption is now permitted only at captain's discretion. Christmas, Canada day, equator crossing etc.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:06 PM

try this place https://www.marlowwhite.com/sabers-landing-page
Old 01-19-2018, 02:12 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiowner View Post
Looks very similar to USN sword...not as cool as this.

USMC saber
https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...J1X1m4cQgaCUM:
Old 01-19-2018, 02:19 PM

I am a Navy guy and my recommendation is to buy her one. There is nothing wrong with following tradition and it will make a great keepsake to pass along to her future children.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:44 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

Navy guy who thinks that if she doesn't want one, then I would not get her one (esp at that price).
Old 01-19-2018, 02:51 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
I am a Navy guy and my recommendation is to buy her one. There is nothing wrong with following tradition and it will make a great keepsake to pass along to her future children.
I think it also depends on how ‘all in’ she is about the Navy. I was very interested in the history and traditions of the USN, so a sword was kinda part of that. Along with gold buttons with anchors on them, etc. but if she’s ‘meh’...I’d still buy one.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:05 PM

The Academy people always seemed a little burned out on the pomp and circumstance stuff.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:39 PM
Riding Along

My Father and Grandfather were both in the RCN and served during wartime (Korea and WWII). I spoke to my dad and relayed your story, his advice was to get her what she wants and not what you want. He said not to confuse traditions with trinkets. His words. If the sword is not a symbol of her achievements now it likely will not be so in the future. Anyways, free advice and I do see it from all sides here. Be proud and she at least will have wifi on board in the near future, like the rest of the western navies. Much better life than the long deployments my father was on with little or no contact with home
Old 01-19-2018, 06:16 PM

...a S&W 1911 in .40cal, stainless steel with Pach grips has a functional element. [/QUOTE]

Now that's a great gift idea for this young woman!

Except...they're in Canada. I have some of the most spirited "conversations" with my Canadian relatives re: guns and concealed carry.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:24 PM

In the USN, swords are usually required for ceremonies based on rank. From my experience, Lieutenant Commander and above were expected to have swords or be able to borrow one for ceremonies where service dress uniforms with medals and gloves. I was a Lieutenant Commander 5 of the 12 years I spent as an officer (15 years enlisted) but as an engineer that spent my days in blue coveralls and black steel toes, I was rarely expected to be in ceremonies.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:00 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
My Father and Grandfather were both in the RCN and served during wartime (Korea and WWII). I spoke to my dad and relayed your story, his advice was to get her what she wants and not what you want. He said not to confuse traditions with trinkets. His words. If the sword is not a symbol of her achievements now it likely will not be so in the future. Anyways, free advice and I do see it from all sides here. Be proud and she at least will have wifi on board in the near future, like the rest of the western navies. Much better life than the long deployments my father was on with little or no contact with home
I am grateful for their service but I wouldn’t call a sword for a naval officer a ‘trinket’, my opinion. Like your first shoulder board, a sword is a symbol of your achievement, your commission. Again, my opinion.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:16 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I am grateful for their service but I wouldn’t call a sword for a naval officer a ‘trinket’, my opinion. Like your first shoulder board, a sword is a symbol of your achievement, your commission. Again, my opinion.
No worries. The words of an old sea dog in his 80's. His point was more about upholding the honour and traditions of the service with day to day actions. He enlisted and later made the jump to officer, a rare thing at the time. Always had his head with the officers and heart with the enlisted, especially after years of secondment with the British navy as a submariner and seeing how deeply class structure ran in the Royal Navy. Quite a shock when compared to the RCN which was far more egalitarian. And closer to your heart old spud, he trained and flew as a naval aviator off the Boniventure (Canada's only aircraft carrier) before he switched to the submarine service.

Last edited by Black Dog; 01-19-2018 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Trinket is the wrong term. Unsharpened swords are technically "tchotchkes", while the Petty Officer cutlass is properly a "knickknack".
Old 01-20-2018, 06:30 AM
Proud Grandpa

good luck and let us know your decision..I donno, full dress and 'Navy' seems pretty cool to me.Since Canada IS still part of the UK..

Wish we(USN) could have worn belt outside of uniform, looked better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RoyalNavyDressSwordBelt.jpg (102.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg om_fulldressblue_lg.jpg (53.3 KB, 27 views)