Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2022, 02:33 PM

Chainring swap may have solved drivetrain noise

I've mentioned that the drivetrain I built up for my Strong, now on the Bingham, is the noisiest I've ever had. Cassette is Shimano 11s 11-34 and chain is a KMC X11 (I think the EL - the one with the slot in the side plates). These are the same on two other bikes. RD is DA 9100, same as the Firefly. Lube is some Silca wax drip-on and some Squirt wax drip-on, I alternate.

I had 3,800 miles on this drivetrain with the 44-30 Sugino chainrings that I bought bundled with the Engin 110/74 spider that bolts up to the Force 22 crankset. In the 44t big ring it was the noisest drivetrain I've ever had.

I just installed a TA Zephyr 44T ring (it's a middle ring for a triple because the spider is set up to bolt the large ring from the inside) and rode 20 miles. The noise is gone. I know it won't be a final conclusion until I have some more rides in, but the difference is big. I have no idea what is different that causes such varied performance.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:03 PM

Sounds like the former chainring may have had wear patterns matched to a worn chain.

I find Shimano's hollow big chainrings to be very noisy whenever lubrication is sparse, as with some "dry" lubes.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:38 PM

Second ride today, still very quiet.
The Sugino chainring was noisy from the beginning, so I don't think this is a wear issue.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:48 PM

You did better than I. I have a Orbea Avant new that was so noisy I barely rode it. I had to replace the FSA bb and crankset, and redo the internal cabling. I actually had a Shimano crank set on hand, so just had to buy the appropriate hollowtech II bb. Holy Crap, it became the bike I thought it would be when I purchased it. I love a quiet bike!