Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2022, 10:18 AM
Back At It!

I think I'd have to say a Dave Kirk (with the original graphics/font).. and I'd want to go to Bozman and get fitted by Dave himself.. Bozman is just cool and I think if I ever got a custom there has to be some benefit to doing a ride with the builder on your current bike.. measurements certainly tell a large part of the story, but I'm guessing two folks with the same numbers could easily ride a bit different on the bike..
Old 08-09-2022, 10:22 AM

+1 for a nice e-bike. I would love to do a bike tour around the Swiss Alps on something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
Just bought my wife an e-bike, so if financial considerations are absent then this:
Old 08-09-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
Brian Chapman, or Firefly, or Bingham, or Zukas, or ....

SPP
PRO move.. Bingham via Hampsten
Old 08-09-2022, 10:27 AM

After having been fortunate enough to scratch many bike related itches over the years, my no financial considerations bike would be...

A Calfee Dragonfly with 1 1/8 head tube, threaded BB, external cables, painted to match Ritchey disc fork. Full campy group and wheels, hydraulic disc/ mechanical shift and deda finishing kit.

No batteries or cell phone required. Staying away from that stuff.

Last edited by timto; 08-09-2022 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:37 AM
Formerly rchman

The problem is getting the cool stuff any time this year. I'm already a year into my English wait. If it weren't for the ridiculous wait times, I would definitely have a lot more bikes than I already do.

The bikes I'd like to add down the road:
Stelbel Ti9 with traditional geo & rim brake
Parlee Z-Zero wax finish
Firefly 650B Road Geo build

And if money is no object, then I'd order a replacement Calfee Luna Pro with S&S couplers in nude finish to replace mine in gloss finish but everything would be spec'd identical.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:44 AM

Cost no consideration I'd have to think about expanding the garage or going -1 or -2 first to make room.

I have an old MTB to get rid of. If I was definitely getting something new I'd dump my All City Space Horse, which I may do anyway soon.

But a no cost spared bike can't really replace the Space Horse as I'm not going to lock up a custom boutique bike any of the places I lock the Space Horse up.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:51 AM

Either a Bingham down country hardtail, or the Enve Custom Road, with EPS and painted to match fenders.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:52 AM

I would first have to get rid of some bikes to even play this game.

But I think Pegoretti, Hampsten and Kirk would be the ones in consideration.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:58 AM

At this exact moment, a new Crux. Then I'd have someone add fender mounts and refinish it in a different paintjob. Or a DeSalvo or Hampsten/Bingham disc Ti 650b fat tire National Forest dirt road explorer. Neither of those should be too insanely priced, so maybe both?

Or maybe a Lyon or Boulder if either was available.

Or hire Tom Kellogg to fit me and Dave Kirk to build a MRB Terraplane accordingly?

Ah, the mind reels...
Old 08-09-2022, 11:17 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Rider View Post
I've been sick this past week and haven't ridden. Something I've been contemplating (as I always do) is what I'd get next if I had a sudden influx of a large amount enough of money to rationalize purchasing another frameset. This isn't a purely hypothetical exercise as I cannot seem to ever get enough of bikes, and I will likely get another one at some point in the future. If I were to win multiple millions in the lottery in the near future, I probably would order another frameset, most likely either a Pursuit, Crumpton or Holland (though probably not a Parlee since the upcharge for custom geometry takes it over the edge).

So, what would you all do with a sudden influx of a large amount of money and the ability to buy anything?
So funny thing is that I don't have a large influx of money, but if I did, I would do what I just did and order a Lynskey. It checked off all the boxes for me and will be pretty much perfect in terms of sizing. In fact, I foresee the sizing working better for me than my Warbird Ti. I went with a Force 1x and maybe I'd do Red if I had more cash, but that wasn't really the question.

Where I think I hit the lottery is where I can make most bikes that have a 56.5 or 56 top tube work for me without issue. Maybe it would be nice to have tubes specced for me, but I've had a couple of those second hand where again the luck would have it as if it were actually made for my measurements, weight, and ride style.

However, I probably will end up selling my DeSalvo road soon and eventually sell the Tarmac with the idea of getting a new disc DeSalvo steel roadie built for me with Di2.

Last edited by eippo1; 08-09-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:22 AM
Meh

The question for me isn't an influx of money, it's an influx of space to put the damn things.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
The question for me isn't an influx of money, it's an influx of space to put the damn things.
With a metric tonne of money, you can buy another shed/garage.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:29 AM
Shifty Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
Hah so true and part of the reason I'm going from 2 to 1 road bike. I have 2 mountain bikes now so am feeling space and spouse pressure to reduce.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:30 AM

Unlimited money =

Colnago Master Light in green art deco. (seen 2 in the wild)
11 speed Campy (5 spline crankset)
53x39
27x12

Probably add a Willier Filante Astana Team version as I love that blue colour.

Last edited by JedB; 08-09-2022 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:39 AM

At my age and recent health set backs....that have slowed me down a lot....cycling to me is more about being out and getting exercise. And don't really need to venture away from our extensive system of paved trails our thru middle of nowhere. . So thinking about a nice comfortable recumbent. Think E version. Would consider trike....but no easy way to transport one along with wife's E bike. Lots of 2 and 3 wheel trikes around here.