Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2022, 05:07 AM

Yes, on a carbon frame there is the possibility of genuine damage, I suppose. On a metal bike it's merely cosmetic, however annoying it is (and would be heartbreaking on a gorgeous new frame).

For me, it's the dealbreaker with AXS. There are plenty of people who swear blind their FD works 100% perfectly and it's all in the setup, and they may well be right, but having had consistent problems with it myself, I just won't go there again. If I was buying from my LBS, I'd want a written statement that, in the case of repeated chain drop, they get 3 goes to fix it, and if unsuccessful, they take the bike back and offer credit for the full value.

Anyway, enough OT. Sounds like you've had some really good service which is always nice (and we don't have enough positive stories on forums like this). Enjoy the bike!
Old 08-10-2022, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I have found that once chains went to 11 and 12 speed I had far more chain drops. Sort of figures as narrower chains may be more flexible. On my Campy 11s and 12s bikes I was able to install Deda Dog Fangs to solve that issue. I told the SRAM support person that if the FD shifted perfectly about 99% of the time the setup was unlikely to be the cause of the drop. They disagreed but were polite about it. And they have always responded to e-mails in a reasonable period of time.

The real worry with the Pursuit bike is that the chain wedged itself between the chain ring and carbon BB. Its hard to see but the paint did get a bit scraped. On another instance of great customer support I e-mailed Ollie @ Dark Matter Finishing, they painted the Pursuit, asking for touch-up paint recs. He said he would mix up a small bottle of paint and send it to me. With all the bad news in the world these little rays of sunshine really make me smile.

Tim
I guess that's progress. With the huge range of seat tube angles...some VERY steep(front der tail up)..I don't see how sram can say it's NEVER anything but set-up.."NO NEED for a chain watcher, never saw anybody that NEEDED one".

Pretty obvious that are reluctant to ever say anything about their stuff that smacks of not best designer 'needing' something as simple as a chain watcher. Very Mavic-esque. IMHO
Old 08-10-2022, 09:48 AM

For anyone whose SRAM front shifting went from great to spotty (or dropping chains) the reason is that it is impossible to keep the front derailleur in adjustment due to the shape. Over time they shift in the hanger - take a look at the FD versus the hanger.

The face of the derailleur that mates with the hanger is FLAT with rounded edges and the hangers are always fully rounded. This reduces the contact point considerably - I think the goal was to increase pressure on a smaller contact area, but it does not work. Literally square peg in a round hole.

SRAM's solution to this is the support wedges that they supply for installation behind the front derailleur. Those also don't really work - even in ideal conditions they only work for one direction and don't prevent the derailleur from rotating outboard.

So anyways, the quick and easy solution is to add a small M5 washer between the derailleur and the hanger. An 8 or 9mm OD washer is great, 10mm is too big. Set the derailleur up as normal with the washer installed and it will deform into place. Derailleur stays adjusted, shifting is improved. Costs about $.04.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:12 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
For anyone whose SRAM front shifting went from great to spotty (or dropping chains) the reason is that it is impossible to keep the front derailleur in adjustment due to the shape. Over time they shift in the hanger - take a look at the FD versus the hanger.
Having never heard the term "hanger" used when referring to a front derailleur, I'm confused: Are you referring to the clamp that mounts the FD to the seat tube?
Old 08-10-2022, 12:28 PM

Pursuit uses a FD clamp rather than a braze-on and it’s the SRAM version. Being that both are from the same brand it should work better but I still got some drops. As I mentioned, I think narrow chains are just more flexible side to side and more prone to dropping.

Tim
Old 08-10-2022, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Having never heard the term "hanger" used when referring to a front derailleur, I'm confused: Are you referring to the clamp that mounts the FD to the seat tube?
Hanger is just an easy catchall as there are multiple ways a front derailleur mounts. Braze on, band on, bolt on, or whatever you're using - it's hanging the front derailleur from the frame.

Quote:
Pursuit uses a FD clamp rather than a braze-on and it’s the SRAM version. Being that both are from the same brand it should work better but I still got some drops. As I mentioned, I think narrow chains are just more flexible side to side and more prone to dropping.

Tim
The SRAM band on adapter's interface with the FD is still round and the derailleur is square, so it's no different from any braze on or other band adapter in my experience. SRAM's red alignment tool is awesome and will get the position of the FD dialed - but it always rotates over time (or sometimes when tightening, even with the tool in). The washer takes care of that. Give it a shot.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:

The face of the derailleur that mates with the hanger is FLAT with rounded edges and the hangers are always fully rounded. This reduces the contact point considerably - I think the goal was to increase pressure on a smaller contact area, but it does not work. Literally square peg in a round hole.

SRAM's solution to this is the support wedges that they supply for installation behind the front derailleur. Those also don't really work - even in ideal conditions they only work for one direction and don't prevent the derailleur from rotating outboard.

So anyways, the quick and easy solution is to add a small M5 washer between the derailleur and the hanger. An 8 or 9mm OD washer is great, 10mm is too big. Set the derailleur up as normal with the washer installed and it will deform into place. Derailleur stays adjusted, shifting is improved. Costs about $.04.

Thanks! I wondered about this when I installed my AXS group. I don’t know what the intent is/was but seems like a miss on SRAMs part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:

The SRAM band on adapter's interface with the FD is still round and the derailleur is square, so it's no different from any braze on or other band adapter in my experience. SRAM's red alignment tool is awesome and will get the position of the FD dialed - but it always rotates over time (or sometimes when tightening, even with the tool in). The washer takes care of that. Give it a shot.
Thanks for the tip. Don't know where you could buy a single washer but, now that I have the K-Edge device in place, I think I'm all set.

Tim
Old 08-11-2022, 08:17 PM

Had to chuckle at this, if only because it's a universal truth: the more non-Sram products you use on a Sram drivetrain, the better it works!

(I'm speaking as one with a couple of bikes equipped with etap and mechanical Red, by the way. )

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Don't know where you could buy a single washer but, now that I have the K-Edge device in place, I think I'm all set.

Tim
Old 08-11-2022, 11:58 PM

Quote:

Tim
Local hardware store should have 'em. McMaster sells them in a box of 100 - not ideal for most home wrenches though.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:54 AM

I’m still not having any problems with my SRAM drivetrains.

Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2022, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvinlungwitz View Post
I’m still not having any problems with my SRAM drivetrains.

Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong?
I have three bikes with Red AXS and none have any of the front derailleur issues that 11-speed eTap had. Maybe they're all installed correctly.