Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2022, 09:05 PM

Lightly used hardtail 29er for around 2k with a decent fork 120-130mm travel. And a dropper post. Then, buy a compatible rigid carbon fork and rigid seatpost to swap out on occassion with the extra money you saved for a ripping dirt road/forest road "gravel" bike.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:43 PM

I won't say that you can't ride Front Range trails on a hardtail, because I've done it myself a bunch and see plenty of them out there, even on the black and double black stuff. If you're near Boulder and new to singletrack, there's a lot of riding that might even be better on a hardtail, things like Marshall and Betasso, or the Tables or Green Mountain down in Golden. But I will say that if I could only have one MTB here, it would be a short or mid-travel 29er like that Stumpy that mtbmoose linked. It won't hold you back on anything until you really know what you want.
I'll also say that my second off-road bike would be a gravel bike that could take some MTB rubber for all those hardtail - friendly trails mentioned above.
Old 08-04-2022, 11:24 PM

That 2015 Anthem has no dropper post and the cassette for that 1x drive train looks a little small, maybe tops out at 46t? You’re going to want 50t or 51t if you will be doing any significant climbing on steeper terrain. The Anthem and Epic bikes lean towards XC race. If that’s what you’re looking for, great, but if you want something more multi-purpose, then be looking Stumpjumper, Trance, or Fuel, in the most common brands. I’d probably look for something less than 5 years old for better geometry and newer components.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmoose View Post
That 2015 Anthem has no dropper post and the cassette for that 1x drive train looks a little small, maybe tops out at 46t? You’re going to want 50t or 51t if you will be doing any significant climbing on steeper terrain. The Anthem and Epic bikes lean towards XC race. If that’s what you’re looking for, great, but if you want something more multi-purpose, then be looking Stumpjumper, Trance, or Fuel, in the most common brands. I’d probably look for something less than 5 years old for better geometry and newer components.
Thanks guys. Some good information in here. I probably will want something more versatile than just XC race and I will want to do some climbing as well.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbmoose View Post
The Anthem and Epic bikes lean towards XC race. If that’s what you’re looking for, great, but if you want something more multi-purpose, then be looking Stumpjumper, Trance, or Fuel, in the most common brands. I’d probably look for something less than 5 years old for better geometry and newer components.
This will inevitably come off as a rant, but UCI XCO Cup has gone so far off the deep end that it's pushing extraordinarily slack geometry that isn't realistic in most people's singletrack trails (unless you have tons of rock gardens with 24"+ boulders).

I'm holding onto my pre-2015 bikes before the UCI decided to go AWOL on reality.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
This will inevitably come off as a rant, but UCI XCO Cup has gone so far off the deep end that it's pushing extraordinarily slack geometry that isn't realistic in most people's singletrack trails (unless you have tons of rock gardens with 24"+ boulders).

I'm holding onto my pre-2015 bikes before the UCI decided to go AWOL on reality.
Agree to disagree, while there is certainly a ceiling on how slack I would want a bike to be for my singletrack, I have only found that the geometry of current offerings (Epic, Epic Evo, Scott Spark) have only improved my riding experience over pre-2015 bikes.

And this is for singletrack that is tight and twisty, not gnarly rock drops. You do have to drive the bike differently, but once you change how you ride, it is much better (imho of course)
Old 08-05-2022, 12:01 PM

Not really on the topic of mtb geometries, but some of you guys must be pretty hardcore if you are cruising through “gnarly rock drops” and “rock gardens with 24” boulders”. I feel like a sissy after doing Marshall/Dirty Bismarck and having to walk a section.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:22 PM

I just picked up a beat up 2014 V1 Bronson and I love it! It is playful, fast and carves single track. It has 150mm suspension front and rear, so adequate for most any trail riding and still climbs like a billy goat!

I have a Lynskey Live Wire built up as a trail bike as well with 160mm front suspension and wide 27.5 wheels which is adequate for 90% of what I ride, but there are a couple of trails where I will only go down on a full suspension. Great all arounder though!

For gravel bikes I would say try and find a nice used Warbird, Stigmata, Chebacco if looking at carbon or a Lynskey GR series for titanium.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2022, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I just picked up a beat up 2014 V1 Bronson and I love it! It is playful, fast and carves single track. It has 150mm suspension front and rear, so adequate for most any trail riding and still climbs like a billy goat!

I have a Lynskey Live Wire built up as a trail bike as well with 160mm front suspension and wide 27.5 wheels which is adequate for 90% of what I ride, but there are a couple of trails where I will only go down on a full suspension. Great all arounder though!

For gravel bikes I would say try and find a nice used Warbird, Stigmata, Chebacco if looking at carbon or a Lynskey GR series for titanium.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
I’ve not heard of any of those particular bikes (some of the brands) so I will check em out! Thanks!
Old 08-08-2022, 08:50 AM

I found one of these that looks new and the guy agreed to do a flat $2000. Think that would do what I want for a few years?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-29-2
Old 08-08-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronnyJenkins View Post
I found one of these that looks new and the guy agreed to do a flat $2000. Think that would do what I want for a few years?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-29-2
Those are good bikes! I'd say do it and start enjoying the dirt.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:53 PM

Grabbed it. It was probably only ridden a few times before I got it so it looks new. Side note. North table mountain is hard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E8D3A7CC-9493-409D-87B4-E91671ADE8A4.jpg (128.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg EDF4C467-E3FD-4D3E-A174-B95C6F91D136.jpg (127.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 08-09-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronnyJenkins View Post
Grabbed it. It was probably only ridden a few times before I got it so it looks new. Side note. North table mountain is hard.
I'm so stoked for you!!

North Table is a rough intro to the dirt if you're new to the mountains. Try South Table or Green Mountain - you'll get the climbing and fitness but a lot less tech. And Rooney Valley Flow Trail will make you realize what the point of this sport is.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:09 PM
Meh

Good choice on the Trance 29. Underrated rigs. I've been periodically tempted by the new Trance X 29er, though if I really was serious about ditching the Forbidden I'd probably go with the new Hightower frame despite the ludicrous frame-only pricing.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:43 PM

Great find, TJ! Those Trances are just great values for trail riding. You’re going to love that bike.