Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2022, 02:37 PM

18psi/20psi 27.5” 2.1” vittoria barzo tires currently installed.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:41 PM

A couple of thoughts...

- Denver, so real mountain biking is close. A tarted-up gravel bike might not cut it. But, there's plenty of gravel. Definitely someplace I'd want one of each.

- As noted, a good hardtail mountain bike will make a better gravel bike (vs using a gravel bike on trails). Or even a very race-y full suspension (Cannondale Scalpel or similar).

- Mountain bike geo and tech has changed a LOT in the last 5-10 years. I wouldn't buy a 2015 bike as a primary ride, especially full-suspension.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:22 PM

You can totally do 2 bikes for 3K if you shop aggressively and are not married to the newest geometry or equipment. Honestly, my FS 29er + 3 gravel bikes is still under 3K. Now, two of those gravel bikes are 25 years old, with modern components.... The mtb is the tough one, price wise. Look for an early 20 teens FS if you want cheap here. Throw a dropper on and Bob's your uncle.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:31 PM

My son is an avid mtb biker and after quite a few FS Mtb bike he really love this one. He says it is one of the best he has been on.
https://knollybikes.com/products/fugitive-138
I would spend the 3K on one or the other and get something that excels at that one discipline.. So many options out there.
I would look at one of these options for gravel. under 3K with GRX brand new.
https://www.vaastbikes.com/grx-700c/
Old 06-21-2022, 04:02 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
I don’t MTB anymore because it requires driving to a trail but do still ride gravel and I think this is sound advice. Riding a gravel bike on single track is gonna beat the piss out of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's AN opinion. Not necessarily shared by all. (bolded part is my emphasis)

I had a FS mtn, a HT with a fork, and a rigid geared bike. The one I rode least was the FS so I sold it after a few years and appx 25 rides on it. I ride the rigid geared bike most. I keep meaning to make is SS. but keep procrastinating.

The other bike I enjoy riding around most of the trails in the DC area is my CX bike. 33c tubulars are surprisingly competent if you adjust your line choices.

...I agree on the driving to go riding part. I never have liked that part of mtn biking.

M
Old 06-21-2022, 04:10 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronnyJenkins View Post
With my little experience on gravel, I guess I could say "I might do some gravel racing" but I enjoy most terrain, including climbing. Not sure what gravel descents are like yet, so TBD. MTB trails- the most amazing ride I have ever done was in Keystone. A climb up a ski maintenance road, through a stream, climb some more, descend with tons of switchbacks. (No pedaling required on the descent)

I certainly understand on the money front. It doesn't have to be super high tech. Obviously mechanical shifting at my price point. I'm 95% ignorant to off-road group sets, so maybe hydraulic is affordable enough? Maybe on a mountain bike I would even be OK with like a 2015 or newer bike.

That's an interesting option. It MIGHT be doable. Some of the trails I've ridden might be a bit much for it though. I guess I could start with gravel bike and try it.
I used to live just down the way from that location marker. The Morgul-Bismark used to race in them thar parts. The 'Wall' really is a farging wall. There's some mild off-roading in the green area on the map. I was doing more running than riding living there and it was great running.

There are some gravel roads up the way from where you are. Flat, flat, flat and flat. If you head west, there are several dirt roads up into the mtns

If I'm not mistaken, there was just a huge fire that ripped thru that area.

Whatever you do, DO NOT try to get back to Denver on Sunday afternoon. Traffic starts to back up early. I don't remember if it was before or after the tunnel that the stop and go started on the one of very few times I tried that.

M
Old 06-21-2022, 05:12 PM

my 2 cents

I had a 1st gen Evil the following, 1st gen Ibis ripley, and a 2016 Yeti SB4.5c (not all at the same time). So all were 2015-16 era bikes and I've ridden various trails in Golden area and a state park a bit outside of Denver whose name I forget. I was always very glad at some point I was on a FS bike.

I'd much prefer to ride gravel on a MTB, than a trail on a gravel bike.

Anyway, 2015 and on bikes are super capable. And a DW-designed rear suspension climbs great, which you like. Full Suspension is just fun, lets you ride longer with less fatigue, and unless you are truly racing for a podium, isn't slower enough to worry about.

I came to FS off a HT Independent Ti deluxe--faster, but far more tiring the rougher the trail--limited my riding; now water (or fitness) limits my riding.

I'd make a list of trails/rides from trailforks, strava, etc and then spend some time on youtube vids of the various gravel and MTB rides in that area. Only you can say what looks like fun to you, and then you can decide.

I love MTB, and a modern FS bike (2015+) can really get you through a lot. Whereas, in my experience, a HT can get you in trouble (but then I dislike hike-a bike, so often try things vs being conservative and just not even trying).
Old 06-21-2022, 05:22 PM

I live in Golden, and I only ride pavement to get to dirt. If you have $3k to play with, get a short travel 29er. Then, after you've been riding here a while and realize where the good stuff is, sell your Tarmac Sl6 and get an Aspero or Crux or something on the racy side of gravel.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:52 PM

Hardtail 29er, short travel fork and skinny (relatively) small knob mtb tires will give you a lot of fun riding on both trails and gravel. During wet season, if such exists, swap on some bigger knobbier tires or once you know you want them an extra set of wheels for gnarly tires.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:08 PM

this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
I live in Golden, and I only ride pavement to get to dirt. If you have $3k to play with, get a short travel 29er. Then, after you've been riding here a while and realize where the good stuff is, sell your Tarmac Sl6 and get an Aspero or Crux or something on the racy side of gravel.
something like a 120mm travel Evil The Following 29er punches above its 120 travel. Fairly efficient climber, but plenty fun and forgiving on the down.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:37 PM

I also lived in Golden. If you plan to mountain bike with any frequency, I would get a full suspension mountain bike.

I went out with an older hardtail 26er. While I was fine, most sections of the trails benefit greatly from full suspension and a slacker front end. I upgraded to a Specialized Epic Evo and had a lot more fun. The number of jagged rocks and drops on the trails just make riding a proper mountain bike much more enjoyable.

I can't provide much context on which bike would best work within your budget, as I haven't paid much attention for the last few years. I think that the suggestions for a shorter travel full suspension ride would have you on the right track. Good luck.

Last edited by Toddtwenty2; 06-21-2022 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:43 PM

I came from an MTB background and the given that you said you have little experience, I would buy a bike "good enough" to explore the area, figure out what you do / don't like, what riding style you develop, etc and expect to buy a second / different bike in a year or two based on your developed riding preferences. The world of MTBs is vast and they all have different capabilities.

If I was in your boat I would shop for something 3-4 years old, ~140 front travel, ~130 rear travel, and to save money I am totally happy with Alu on a MTB. This would get you something that can explore and will be able to handle enough single track to let you know if you want to get into it more. And add a set of gravel tires and you will have something enjoyable on gravel roads in the area too.

..... but again, I would be shocked if you don't refine your taste in a couple of years after getting more experience.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Pick a good line and you won’t get beaten to death. It’s just a different riding style.

Even on “real” trails.
It is fun. It’s also a crap ton slower and less margin for error. Just like full rigid MTB.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
That's AN opinion. Not necessarily shared by all. (bolded part is my emphasis)

I had a FS mtn, a HT with a fork, and a rigid geared bike. The one I rode least was the FS so I sold it after a few years and appx 25 rides on it. I ride the rigid geared bike most. I keep meaning to make is SS. but keep procrastinating.

The other bike I enjoy riding around most of the trails in the DC area is my CX bike. 33c tubulars are surprisingly competent if you adjust your line choices.

...I agree on the driving to go riding part. I never have liked that part of mtn biking.

M

To be fair it depends on the single track but if it’s all gnarly and rooted I’d prefer the MTB every day of the week. This said, I should mention that while I’m all about picking a good line, I don’t always ride at a speed that allows me to execute my desired path. This probably says more about me as a rider and maybe person but it’s my reality and I’m comfortable w/ it most days.

Your point about tires and I would add pressure is excellent and I don’t think think can be overstated.

Old 06-21-2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
To be fair it depends on the single track but if it’s all gnarly and rooted I’d prefer the MTB every day of the week. This said, I should mention that while I’m all about picking a good line, I don’t always ride at a speed that allows me to execute my desired path. This probably says more about me as a rider and maybe person but it’s my reality and I’m comfortable w/ it most days.

Your point about tires and I would add pressure is excellent and I don’t think think can be overstated.

There’s also the fact that the “good line” and the “smooth line” are very rarely the same thing, if you define good as fast or efficient.

We (my cohort of friends who train to race XC) used to spend winters on rigid bikes to improve our skills. We got better at riding around stuff, and slower overall. It took a few weeks of riding with suspension to retrain our brains to ride the fast lines and corner correctly.

There’s nothing inherently better about going slower because your equipment choices force it.