Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2022, 08:35 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

TheProsCloset is still a great place to find SRAM AXS chains and BB's without the arm and a leg markup of eBay. Now if they would only get 10-33 cassettes in stock like everyone else.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:46 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronffs View Post
has to be one of the most ridiculous things i've heard re: not buying a bike
I'm not sure..

wasn't really something I had thought about before, but.. one of the biggest reasons I game on a console instead a computer is so I don't have to worry about the ever changing requirements of cpu games..

maybe that's a reason to look at SRAM vs Shimano, unless they have the same issues..
Old 08-04-2022, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
TheProsCloset is still a great place to find SRAM AXS chains and BB's without the arm and a leg markup of eBay. Now if they would only get 10-33 cassettes in stock like everyone else.
Good point. When I was in need a few months ago for an ultegra 12 cassette they were the only ones in the US to have them in stock. They shipped lightening quick too. Can’t forget they have new stuff too.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
maybe that's a reason to look at SRAM vs Shimano, unless they have the same issues..
Maybe that's a reason to stick with mechanical shifting!
Old 08-04-2022, 09:20 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Maybe that's a reason to stick with mechanical shifting!
true..
Old 08-04-2022, 09:38 PM

They didn't like the P1 paint job. Can't you simply make 10 speed Dis 11 speed?

I'm a sales guy so the answer is always yes.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
They didn't like the P1 paint job. Can't you simply make 10 speed Di2 11 speed?

I'm a sales guy so the answer is always yes.
First gen 10s Di2 very similar to First gen DA 8s...unique shifters, ders...

as for this
Quote:
Once you take that big a chunk of VC money, you're managed to a spreadsheet and certain KPIs which is what we're seeing now. They're honing in the formula like a car dealer for what inventory "turns" quickly enough for them to make decent money on it.
Passed that alone for TPC guys to have a mid week chuckle....Glad this poster knows so much about this specific biz that has taken some VC $...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-05-2022 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:26 AM

This week TPC refused to buy my pretty mint Waterford RS-22, which has mechanical shifting, so now we know old Di2 and fine stainless is a no-go, haha

Weird they took the Vanilla single speed, but not mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220803_112000806 (TPL).jpg (147.5 KB, 307 views)
Old 08-05-2022, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkeller79 View Post
This week TPC refused to buy my pretty mint Waterford RS-22, which has mechanical shifting, so now we know old Di2 and fine stainless is a no-go, haha

I have no doubt you can sell that Waterford. That Vanilla, if it really suits your needs, is a killer bike, and not beyond the pale for pricing for what it is (not that I'm the Kelly Blue Book of bikes). My own guideline is, when I see something that is unlikely to come up again, fits me, fills a niche in my stable, and is priced within reason, I buy it without dickering. That's how my Firefly road bike and Nagasawa fixed road trainer came to me (both from PL, thanks!). When I bought my Pivot FS 29er, I dickered, because it's a commodity, there will always be another. Once I have the niche filled with something I really like, it stays here, so if I paid a little too much, it gets amortized over a lot of miles
Old 08-05-2022, 10:54 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
My guess would be because it's a Waterford and not a Vanilla..

Waterfords are fantastic bikes, no doubt, but they don't have the same mystique as a Vanilla plain and simple.. now, I'd much have the Waterford because I know I'll get just a good of bike for a lot less money (never been into the whole Vanilla vibe anyway). No doubt Vanillas are fantastic bikes, but a lot of the $$$ they demand is based on the name recognition and not because the bike is xxx better than a Waterford or DeSalvo or ??, IMHO..
Old 08-05-2022, 12:07 PM
aluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
I'm not sure..

wasn't really something I had thought about before, but.. one of the biggest reasons I game on a console instead a computer is so I don't have to worry about the ever changing requirements of cpu games..

reasonable to expect game developers to be constantly pushing hardware limits, but i would hope my di2 would be able to keep handling it's normal shifting behaviors for years++
Old 08-05-2022, 12:35 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronffs View Post
reasonable to expect game developers to be constantly pushing hardware limits, but i would hope my di2 would be able to keep handling it's normal shifting behaviors for years++
agree, but does make me wonder if the drivers, etc will eventually disappear.. Does Shimano still have the software for the era in question available and just isn't updating it?
Old 08-05-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:

That bike is gorgeous and will sell here or maybe try the steel is real group on Facebook. I personally think the Pro's Closet is a joke now. They probably paid $500 for that Vanilla to some guys widow...

I have seen a handful of people claim they received good or fair offers for their bikes which must have met a certain criteria? I have only ever been offered embarrassingly low amounts or outright refusal for nice high quality nice bikes.

I used to purchase overstock items from them at the end of the fiscal year for reasonable/good prices, but with the cash infusion/buyout those deals no longer exist. Too bad really. I bought a new old stock Stigmata and a few sets of carbon wheels that I was very happy with from them, but that was a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
That bike is gorgeous and will sell here or maybe try the steel is real group on Facebook. I personally think the Pro's Closet is a joke now. They probably paid $500 for that Vanilla to some guys widow...
I highly doubt it's personal. They have to make a quick call on what they'll list something for - and then offer a percentage of that to the interested seller.. It's all just numbers and estimates, taking risk, holding inventory, etc. And they may be tightening on the expectation that used bike values are falling or are likely to fall in the coming months. I'm guessing Carmax isn't buying everything under the sun at top dollar at this point either.

CyclingUpgrades offers a similar trade/sell program - might be worth checking with them too.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I highly doubt it's personal. They have to make a quick call on what they'll list something for - and then offer a percentage of that to the interested seller.. It's all just numbers and estimates, taking risk, holding inventory, etc. And they may be tightening on the expectation that used bike values are falling or are likely to fall in the coming months. I'm guessing Carmax isn't buying everything under the sun at top dollar at this point either.

CyclingUpgrades offers a similar trade/sell program - might be worth checking with them too.
I understand the business aspect of it and I guess I am kicking grass and shouting at the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn!

I liked the Pro's Closet prior to the pandemic style pricing and cannot fault a business for maximizing profits, but I definitely do not like it!

Reality is I have more bikes and bike stuff than any human being needs anyway! I could refrain from buying just about anything bike related for the rest of my life. All in all it keeps me from buying stuff that I don't need, so I should probably thank them!

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hilltopperny; 08-05-2022 at 03:05 PM.