Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
On the Nerd Alert podcast, I believe TPC did say they did more than just a visual inspection. They didn’t disclose methods. They said they partnered with some third party. Given that, and if I remember right, the expectation isn’t entirely unrealistic.
There's a whole lot of space between doing a visual inspection and doing X-rays and ultrasound.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I talked to a guy who knew a guy, who's brother talked to a guy who worked at TPC and he said they do a non destructive eddy current and dye penetrant examination on every component on the bike plus the frame..THEN, into the bike CAT for final inspection....
They also scrape DNA samples from the bike and track down all the previous owners and get their Strava files, so they can construct a complete ride history of the bike.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:44 PM

If I had a man bun and had to wear a mask in MY workspace...the VC guys would get a sternly worded memo

Quote:
I talked to a guy who knew a guy, who's brother talked to a guy who worked at TPC and he said they do a non destructive eddy current and dye penetrant examination on every component on the bike plus the frame..THEN, into the bike CAT for final inspection....

Yeegads..TPC has 4 or 5 gen-U-ine bike service stations, VERY well equipped, Gen-U-ine bike wrenches..where they do essentially a complete, $200 or so, tune...and sometimes even a complete take-apart, clean and lube, on bikes that are either leaving or due to be put up for sale.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:17 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
They also scrape DNA samples from the bike and track down all the previous owners and get their Strava files, so they can construct a complete ride history of the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
If I had a man bun and had to wear a mask in MY workspace...the VC guys would get a sternly worded memo

Tee Hee....Monday funny's...Huzzah!
Old 07-20-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Yeegads..TPC has 4 or 5 gen-U-ine bike service stations, VERY well equipped, Gen-U-ine bike wrenches..where they do essentially a complete, $200 or so, tune...and sometimes even a complete take-apart, clean and lube, on bikes that are either leaving or due to be put up for sale.
Yeah, but on the other hand, sometimes it's a mystery what they do or share.

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...-threshold-c-m

Here's a frame that has an obvious carbon repair to the top tube, but gets no mention in the description. The "master mechanic's notes" include a missing chainstay protector, scuffing to crank arms, and scuffing on shift/brake levers. I would think if you're going to mention a little scuffing on the crank, you might also want to mention something about why the paint is missing from the top tube, and it's been wrapped with a bunch of new carbon.

Old 08-01-2022, 02:25 PM

https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...ingle-speed-xl

....So, I've been keeping an eye on the single speed Vanilla on TPC. It's perfect sizing for me, and love everything about it. Been sitting for a while, so I figure it's a bit over priced. What's everyone's consensus on this one? I don't think it's outrageously priced, to be honest.

Am I insane in the membrane for thinking of selling my (2nd hand) Waterford RS-22 to fund this purchase (which also fits like a glove)? I've only ridden it three times since I built up my custom Horse cycles all-road bike, back in the fall of 2019. Just not into full on road cycling any more, and the Vanilla will be perfect for city cruising / commuting.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkeller79 View Post

....So, I've been keeping an eye on the single speed Vanilla on TPC. It's perfect sizing for me, and love everything about it. Been sitting for a while, so I figure it's a bit over priced. What's everyone's consensus on this one? I don't think it's outrageously priced, to be honest.

Am I insane in the membrane for thinking of selling my (2nd hand) Waterford RS-22 to fund this purchase (which also fits like a glove)? I've only ridden it three times since I built up my custom Horse cycles all-road bike, back in the fall of 2019. Just not into full on road cycling any more, and the Vanilla will be perfect for city cruising / commuting.
I dont know about the pricing bit i can certainly see why u would want that!!!
Old 08-01-2022, 03:54 PM

The Paceline at it again

Methinks this thread is yet another example of - to paraphrase - "The Paceline at it again".

For the N+1th time, projecting our lack or minimal knowledge of a a subject onto a person or group who is actually in the trenches, making it actually happen in the real world.

Bleacher critics. Monday Morning Quarterback. Or, a phrase I invented in my career, "20-20 Engineer" (hindsight is a wonderful gift ).

No doubt some here have long and deep enough experience in the realm to point out some pitfalls, errors, successes, etc. But I'll suggest that that's the far right tail of the bell curve. If indeed it is a bell/Gaussian distribution, which I doubt.

To be sure, I don't claim to be exempt from my own criticism, just pointing out a lesson that I've learned many times and have tried to pass on on occasion - "Criticism is easy. Doing it yourself is hard." (originally applied to some of my fellow engineers).
Old 08-01-2022, 04:35 PM

Quote:

....So, I've been keeping an eye on the single speed Vanilla on TPC.
I wonder if this was sold as a singlespeed touring bike? Bolt on a rack and anything can be a touring bike? It looks to have a touring-ish stack+reach but then there's the 120mm rear spacing and minimalist tire clearances.
Old 08-01-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:

I think this one is reasonable given what it is, but the market for such a bike is you! Make them an offer and go from there if it has been sitting for a long time.

I see the bikes appeal for you, but remember that not many 6'3ish folks are looking for this style bike? Given the limited clearance and rear spacing it is honestly a tough sell imho.

I usually will send a message saying I am a buyer at X amount of dollars and typically I am met with a counter for X amount plus shipping. Worth a shot!

Fwiw that Waterford of yours is gorgeous and would also be tough to replace, but I understand passing it along if it isn't being used. I find myself in a similar predicament with most of my drop bar bikes since getting into mountain biking.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2022, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Methinks this thread is yet another example of - to paraphrase - "The Paceline at it again".

For the N+1th time, projecting our lack or minimal knowledge of a a subject onto a person or group who is actually in the trenches, making it actually happen in the real world.

Bleacher critics. Monday Morning Quarterback. Or, a phrase I invented in my career, "20-20 Engineer" (hindsight is a wonderful gift ).

No doubt some here have long and deep enough experience in the realm to point out some pitfalls, errors, successes, etc. But I'll suggest that that's the far right tail of the bell curve. If indeed it is a bell/Gaussian distribution, which I doubt.

To be sure, I don't claim to be exempt from my own criticism, just pointing out a lesson that I've learned many times and have tried to pass on on occasion - "Criticism is easy. Doing it yourself is hard." (originally applied to some of my fellow engineers).
+1

I get nothing but great service from them.. And found an incredible deal today to burn up my credit. Stay tuned —
Old 08-02-2022, 06:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post

Here's a frame that has an obvious carbon repair to the top tube, but gets no mention in the description. The "master mechanic's notes" include a missing chainstay protector, scuffing to crank arms, and scuffing on shift/brake levers. I would think if you're going to mention a little scuffing on the crank, you might also want to mention something about why the paint is missing from the top tube, and it's been wrapped with a bunch of new carbon.

Yup, a mystery.
Old 08-02-2022, 06:35 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post

In Maine, they’d say, “Aw, yup.”
Old 08-02-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post

I went to post a link to a Breadwinner S&S bike they had listed yesterday where they noted and photographed a tiny ding in the TT that may have gone undisclosed in the PL classified... but wonder of wonders, it's sold already. $2800, iirc, for a coupled Breadwinner w DA9000 mix and painted to match Silca pump. Not bad.
Old 08-02-2022, 09:12 AM

and let's be honest.....do you really think a person dropping multiple thousands of dollars on a bike doesn't have some inkling of what a carbon repair looks like?

It may not be aesthetically pleasing, but some people don't care and simply are taking advantage of the deal offered. That said, I do think they should be disclosing more details in the description when there's been a carbon repair.