Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2023, 07:56 PM

Nice little headlight for $30

I’ve a few edc OLIGHTs I clip to a hat or as handheld tiny but bright flashlight. They have a strong magnet on the base for charging and for sticking to things like a frig or it’s included sticky magnet friendly mount.

I saw they have a $30 400 lumen headlight so decided to get one. It is high quality just like their other lights, has garmin twist mounts and comes with a GoPro mount for under computer mounts.

Anyone else using one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MTWKV4G...roduct_details

Here it is today in the wild. The camera chose to focus on the opposite of what I expected, but it disappears under the computer, roughly 3 times the size of my previous bontrager cube light, and it’s a lot brighter flash with longer run time (Claimed not tested yet)

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 03-18-2024 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:07 PM

A quick skim through the images in the Amazon listing suggests it has a vertical cutoff. Mounted underneath your handlebar suggests you just flipped it over (if not, my apologies). Make sure you have it oriented correctly.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:21 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
A quick skim through the images in the Amazon listing suggests it has a vertical cutoff. Mounted underneath your handlebar suggests you just flipped it over (if not, my apologies). Make sure you have it oriented correctly.
Thisnis what I noticed when I looked at the link yesterday.
Maybe the lens can flip?
Old 10-20-2023, 07:30 PM

You might experiment with it. In the olden days you used to pull your car up near a vertical surface (like your garage door) and adjust the headlights with the screws provided. (Yes, I'm getting old.) You could try something similar with your light. Shine your light on the wall in both outside and check the light's pattern. That will tell you for sure.

Either way, let us know how it goes. I have many bikes and don't like to constantly move lights between them. Having a couple extra lights would be helpful.
Old 10-20-2023, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Yea it does have a different pattern on the top part of the lens and mounted on a GoPro is upside down. I’m not sure it impacts my day light needs on flash, but it is something i realized today.

At a glance it didn’t look like you can flip the lens but I’ll investigate further. Confirmed the lens can’t flip. I guess I won’t be blinding any small dogs on the road but think it’ll work just fine as a daytime running light.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 10-20-2023 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:46 PM

I have a friend looking for a cheap light for some basic mountain biking. Do you think this works be bright enough for that? They don't ride fast and the terrain is smooth and flowy.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjr View Post
I have a friend looking for a cheap light for some basic mountain biking. Do you think this works be bright enough for that? They don't ride fast and the terrain is smooth and flowy.
Not if it’s totally dark. The same brand has a brighter model at 1500 lumens that would be safer and more suitable for dark trail riding. It is $80.

Many other options too if looking outside the brand, but at a minimum maybe shoot for around 1000 lumen output.

IMO the brighter the better especially as the speed increases.
Old 10-22-2023, 05:35 AM

For affordable and decent reputation bike lights, I would check the Ceco brand on Amazon. Their 1200 is good enough for offroad use.

https://www.amazon.com/CECO-USA-Rech...s%2C444&sr=8-5
Old 10-22-2023, 06:17 AM

Magicshine is the standard budget MTB light, but their prices are no longer as cheap. If you're going to run only one light, you probably want helmet mount.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
For affordable and decent reputation bike lights, I would check the Ceco brand on Amazon. Their 1200 is good enough for offroad use.

https://www.amazon.com/CECO-USA-Rech...s%2C444&sr=8-5
Nice price, have you seen a GoPro option for them? That is a requirement for my lights that really limits options.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the tips, I'll pass them along.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Nice price, have you seen a GoPro option for them? That is a requirement for my lights that really limits options.
https://www.amazon.com/CECO-USA-Bicy...s%2C229&sr=8-5

The Cygolite mount apparently works as well. If you do a little googling on these lights it is suspected that the same manufacturer makes Ceco and Cygolite.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
https://www.amazon.com/CECO-USA-Bicy...s%2C229&sr=8-5

The Cygolite mount apparently works as well. If you do a little googling on these lights it is suspected that the same manufacturer makes Ceco and Cygolite.
Thanks, I missed ceco had one! I’ll have to give that one a whirl too.
Old 10-22-2023, 06:19 PM

Lumintop 21700 cell

I picked up a lumintop b01 stVzo-like front light. It's the only one that I could find that has a standard replaceable drop in cell, in this case a 5000mAh 21700 battery cell. Marketing claims 800 lumens, but there are lies, damn lies, and marketing. I've had 5 hour runtime actual at some lower lumen output. $34 on AliExpress, somewhat more on Amazon.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2251832859700130.html

Last edited by Carbonita; 10-22-2023 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 10:23 PM
i ride to eat.

Am I doing it wrong?

I also got those specialized stix for pedaling around the neighborhood.