Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2022, 12:47 PM

"Free" Alternatives to Zwift?

I haven't used my indoor wahoo kickr setup for a while since I got my digital home gym. And when I bike I go outside, specially in the summer. And most of the time when I use it I use one of their programs in ERG mode, and just watch TV.

I am planning to cancel zwift and reconsider re-signing in winter, but I don't think even then I can get enough usage to merit the cost. Does anyone know some alternatives to zwift?
Old 08-10-2022, 01:06 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Pretty easy to create workouts on Garmin/Wahoo apps I think and have your cycling computer control the resistance.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:21 PM

You can also look into PerfPro its a one time software buy without any monthly fees.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:24 PM

Not free, but since it's a one time cost, it's easy to get your money's worth.
Perfpro https://perfprostudio.com/ allows you to choose from hundreds of prebuilt workouts, build your own, link to netflix, and scads of other things. The owner/web guy Drew Hartman has always been very responsive to newbie questions and problems for me.
I run Zwift all the time, but keep my PP just in case. If PP had some sort of constantly changing scenery, I'd dump Zwift for it tomorrow

EDIT: I see trener1 beat me to it while I was typing
Old 08-10-2022, 01:30 PM

RGT has a free service
Old 08-10-2022, 01:31 PM

Thanks!

perfpro looks interesting but I think I will give the native wahoo app a try and see if it meets my needs.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfifty View Post
RGT has a free service
I did RGT for a while and similar to perf pro it needs a PC. I will have to figure out how to wire the cables as my PC is not in the same room the trainer is in.

Currently running zwift of my iPhone XR.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:43 AM

ROUVY is much less expensive than Zwift and no “Wattopia”. Not free.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:55 AM

Can't you use Golden cheetah for this as well?
Old 08-11-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
I did RGT for a while and similar to perf pro it needs a PC. I will have to figure out how to wire the cables as my PC is not in the same room the trainer is in.

Currently running zwift of my iPhone XR.
You can get a pretty inexpensive laptop to run it...of course, once you add in the cost of the laptop and/or the cabling machinations, you might just as well pay for zwift...

Oh, and Zwift is a pretty phenomenal experience on a decent size television, with surround sound. You're missing a lot using your phone...but of course you may have space or other constraints...

I'd ask a different question...what's the best/most effective virtual training environment that will help me to reach my fitness/performance goals? If the answer is Zwift, the $16/month is well worth it... (or just pause it for the summer and renew in the fall...)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-11-2022, 06:24 AM

MyWhoosh is being touted as a Zwift competitor. Currently free. No experience, just read about it.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/07/...explainer.html
Old 08-11-2022, 06:38 AM

I dumped Zwift because I wasn't interested in indoor racing and the "virtual but social" riding aspect, but I did pick up Trainerroad at a $5/mo more.

I justified it by saying to myself that their "AI-optimized" plans replaces 80% of what a coach would provide me, and makes best use of my time indoors, which is ultimately what I want in my time-starved world. Supposedly they will alter your plans based on your current performance, level of fatigue, and whatever other outdoor rides you did imported from Strava, and calculate the "optimal" workout for you on that specific day.

No fun graphics, just a plan and some bars to show you.

Perhaps not what you were asking for (i.e. the opposite of free), but it at least feels like there is value in it.

Last edited by rice rocket; 08-11-2022 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
You can get a pretty inexpensive laptop to run it...of course, once you add in the cost of the laptop and/or the cabling machinations, you might just as well pay for zwift...

Oh, and Zwift is a pretty phenomenal experience on a decent size television, with surround sound. You're missing a lot using your phone...but of course you may have space or other constraints...

I'd ask a different question...what's the best/most effective virtual training environment that will help me to reach my fitness/performance goals? If the answer is Zwift, the $16/month is well worth it... (or just pause it for the summer and renew in the fall...)
Curious what does surround sound get you? I've been using a small laptop, might consider plugging into a sound system.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:45 AM

I have zwift. I paid for it for a year even though I hadn't really been using it because there's no way to 'pause' the membership... by design its limited to 8 weeks or you have to cancel.

I like having zwift running, but it hasn't ever really been the primary screen that I've looked at. I've always had a TV show or something running as well while riding.

I haven't used trainerroad but did like the sufferfest when i had it. I think wahoo bought it in the interim and changed it up a fair amount. It's called SYSTM now.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:13 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
Pretty easy to create workouts on Garmin/Wahoo apps I think and have your cycling computer control the resistance.
this sounds way too much like the old days where you're just staring at the wall or some show on TV, just trying to get through the workout.. that sounds horrible and would certainly have me doing less workouts.. that's why I keep Zwift around, it keeps my attention and helps the suck pass a bit easier.