Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2022, 04:28 PM

Eminent domain

If the VC fueled buying spree doesn't work out...there's always this new fangled place called eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktakashismith View Post
I hear they're sending people out on group rides to slip Airtags into peoples' saddlebags if they see a bike they like. Next thing the door-to-door TPC salesman is at your house making you an offer you won't refuse. A leaked internal email confirmed that the 2023 Q1 target for TPC is to fix the bike market such that any two-wheeled conveyance that is discovered to be more than six months old which does not bear the mark of TPC is to become the lawful property of TPC by default.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:29 PM

Before they had the website & mostly sold on ebay, they were fairly aggressive buying on Denver and Boulder CL. Like offering $200-300 more than asking for the give-away priced Ti or carbon road bike. Have no idea if they still buy off CL. I have no problem with the above tactic.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:39 PM

Yikes bikes
Old 08-08-2022, 06:56 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktakashismith View Post
I hear they're sending people out on group rides to slip Airtags into peoples' saddlebags if they see a bike they like. Next thing the door-to-door TPC salesman is at your house making you an offer you won't refuse. A leaked internal email confirmed that the 2023 Q1 target for TPC is to fix the bike market such that any two-wheeled conveyance that is discovered to be more than six months old which does not bear the mark of TPC is to become the lawful property of TPC by default.
tee hee...

BTW-just went in there to grab some wheel boxes and they have, 3 high storage, probably 4-5 rows, maybe 100 feet long...STACKED with bike boxes, each one with a bike in it. NOT manufacturer's boxes but TPC boxes..I don't think they are hurting for inventory to sell.

You can take or leave this but...
https://growjo.com/company/The_Pro's_Closet

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-08-2022 at 07:01 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
You can take or leave this but...
https://growjo.com/company/The_Pro's_Closet
For the locals … almost identical revenue and employee numbers as McGuckin Hardware.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:41 PM

Apologies if featured earlier in the thread. Broken S-works frame for just over $10k. Would be surprised if it brought that at the height of pandemic buying. Love how the eye-patch looking repair got a single bullet point about 17 lines down.

http://https://www.theproscloset.com...epic-xx1-axs-l
Old 08-24-2022, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
For the locals … almost identical revenue and employee numbers as McGuckin Hardware.
My spidey-sense is really tingling looking at those claimed numbers. (35M per year)

Half the bikes (253) are under $4000, and half are over $4000 (252)

They will have to be selling and shipping 35 median price bikes per working day for that revenue claim. Now subtract accessory sales of course, but it takes a lot of accessories to equal ONE $4000 bike subtracted from the back-of-the-napkin gross sales.

In other words, we should be able to look at that website tomorrow, and see 35 bikes that we had our eyes on, but somebody else bought them...but then 35 new bikes ready to be sold on Friday.

Last edited by Old School; 08-24-2022 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:06 PM

Smells fishy, but it is fueled by $ provided by someone else. That is is the best money to spend

It's like one of those e-scooter companies that descends on your community, they generally implode

Lookit #5, Niner. I am calling BS on the $35 million

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
My spidey-sense is really tingling looking at those claimed numbers. (35M per year)

They will have to be selling and shipping 35 median price bikes per working day for that revenue claim. Now subtract accessory sales of course, but it takes a lot of accessories to equal ONE $4000 bike subtracted from the back-of-the-napkin gross sales.

In other words, we should be able to look at that website tomorrow, and see 35 bikes that we had our eyes on, but somebody else bought them...but then 35 new bikes ready to be sold on Friday.

Last edited by peanutgallery; 08-24-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:

I see about 2200 bikes, 200 frames, and 600 wheels on their site. Moving the equivalent of 35 median priced bikes is a small fraction of their inventory.

On edit: 1200 of those bikes are priced at $4000+

Last edited by tomato coupe; 08-24-2022 at 08:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:14 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarbsr02 View Post
Apologies if featured earlier in the thread. Broken S-works frame for just over $10k. Would be surprised if it brought that at the height of pandemic buying. Love how the eye-patch looking repair got a single bullet point about 17 lines down.

http://https://www.theproscloset.com/products/2021-specialized-s-works-epic-xx1-axs-l
Over $10k and you get a giant black spot where SWORKS should be.
Wild what people value. But we own an horse and many think we waste our money too.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Well, when FedEx comes, once per day, to collect stuff they have sold and must send, they come with a 40 foot van...just sayin'

Just Monday my buddy at TPC said they have 3000 complete bikes to sell.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Well, when FedEx comes, once per day, to collect stuff they have sold and must send, they come with a 40 foot van...just sayin'

Peter, TPC should put you on payroll.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:

More back of napkin.

3000 bikes, calling it average retail of $4000. That is 12 million inventory at retail. They need to sell every single one of those bikes before Thanksgiving to hit the claimed Gross sales number. (Turning entire inventory 3x per year).

I appreciate the discussion, and pointing out my casual search on their website somehow showed totals different than other searches is appreciated.

But all I'm saying is 35M/yr is a huge number in real life, and makes my spidey-sense go nuts.
Old 08-25-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Peter, TPC should put you on payroll.
He actually has first hand knowledge about their business. His data is far more useful than the pure speculation offered by most.

Last edited by tomato coupe; 08-25-2022 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-25-2022, 07:18 PM
aluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarbsr02 View Post

http://https://www.theproscloset.com...epic-xx1-axs-l
strong contender here for the worst offender yet (but i'm sure it'll sell #eventually and someone on here can better inform me on the merits of carbon repair)