Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Reality is I have more bikes and bike stuff than any human being needs anyway! I could refrain from buying just about anything bike related for the rest of my life. All in all it keeps me from buying stuff that I don't need, so I should probably thank them!
Amen to all that
Old 08-05-2022, 08:47 PM

Looks like this one was at least disclosed as a repair job
https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...pryde-diablo-s

Guess a broken frame with the worst of the 2 iterations of ten spd ultegra kit has more value than a DI2 kitted bike. Who would have ever thought?

The VC bros are always dialed
Old 08-05-2022, 09:25 PM

I just built a brand new NOS 2014 S-works roubaix Sl4 with Chorus and Racing 3 wheels for $1.6k....

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Looks like this one was at least disclosed as a repair job
https://www.theproscloset.com/produc...pryde-diablo-s

Guess a broken frame with the worst of the 2 iterations of ten spd ultegra kit has more value than a DI2 kitted bike. Who would have ever thought?

The VC bros are always dialed
Old 08-05-2022, 09:34 PM

I would consider having to ride a 2012 Neil Pryde as like a prison sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
I just built a brand new NOS 2014 S-works roubaix Sl4 with Chorus and Racing 3 wheels for $1.6k....
Old 08-05-2022, 09:36 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronffs View Post
has to be one of the most ridiculous things i've heard re: not buying a bike
If it is pre e-tube 10 speed Di2 Dura Ace I can see them not touching it. I think that message lost something in the translation to the guy typing the 'firmware message'.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:45 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Since TPC offered me 1670.00 for an as new 2019 Helix Pro disc with ENVE fork carbon Saddle/SeatPost/Bars/Stem R8000 and carbon wheels...

I saw and older beat up frame well used [2017?] Lynsky Helix frameset non ENVE fork [not a complete bike] for 1700.00 up for sale in their listings.

So for the 100.00 more for credit towards buying I coulda got that fairly nasty looking 3 year older frameset and 70.00 credit too. MEH.

Sure they are there to make money. I get it totally. So it can be personal... ;O

But that offer just served to have me not help them rip off other cyclists continually. With regards to buying I mean.

That zero sum approach, viable as it is offends me.
Old 08-06-2022, 08:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I understand the business aspect of it and I guess I am kicking grass and shouting at the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn!

I liked the Pro's Closet prior to the pandemic style pricing and cannot fault a business for maximizing profits, but I definitely do not like it!

Reality is I have more bikes and bike stuff than any human being needs anyway! I could refrain from buying just about anything bike related for the rest of my life. All in all it keeps me from buying stuff that I don't need, so I should probably thank them!

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Guess there are a lot of business' out there you don't like then. Ya know, gotta 'keep the lights on'...TPC, along with just about every viable biz out there, are in it to 'keep the lights on'...and everything that means.
Quote:
That zero sum approach, viable as it is offends me.
A business, ANY business, their 'business' practices offends you..really?
Yikes, pretty low threshold of 'pain', IMHO...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 08-06-2022 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-06-2022, 06:00 PM

Who knows, maybe there's a positive from TPC rendering the used bike market as being little more than a 10% discount off new MSRP, with carbon repairs and paint chips bundled in. Lord knows I don't need to keep buying, building, fiddling with, riding and re-selling any more used bikes.

Has anyone else noticed the odd glitch in the TPC pricing matrix though? You have to be pretty quick, but I think two weeks ago there was a Giant TCR Adv Pro frameset for $650... Maybe it's all part of the algorithm to keep idiots like me trolling their shelves.
Old 08-06-2022, 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=oldpotatoe;3128565]Guess there are a lot of business' out there you don't like then. Ya know, gotta 'keep the ligs on'...TPC, along with just about every viable biz out there, are in it to 'keep the lights on'...and everything that means.

There are indeed a lot of businesses that I don't like! There is a huge difference between keeping the lights on and buying up every used bike on the market and then price gouging. Selling used bicycles bought for a pittance and reselling them for new retail prices is not keeping the lights on it is exploiting folks who don't know any better. PT Barnum and all that.

I am glad as it is one less place I need to purchase anything from. Put them on the same list as bicycle blue book...a place I will no longer spend my money...
Old 08-06-2022, 07:16 PM

Oh please. It’s not like they’re secretly trolling Craigslist and Facebook marketplace and cornering the market.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:10 AM
Proud Grandpa

[QUOTE=Hilltopperny;3128786]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Guess there are a lot of business' out there you don't like then. Ya know, gotta 'keep the ligs on'...TPC, along with just about every viable biz out there, are in it to 'keep the lights on'...and everything that means.

There are indeed a lot of businesses that I don't like! There is a huge difference between keeping the lights on and buying up every used bike on the market and then price gouging. Selling used bicycles bought for a pittance and reselling them for new retail prices is not keeping the lights on it is exploiting folks who don't know any better. PT Barnum and all that.

I am glad as it is one less place I need to purchase anything from. Put them on the same list as bicycle blue book...a place I will no longer spend my money...
Sounds like a great conspiracy theory...a team of TPC people, sitting at their computers all day, 24/7, scouring all the used bike sites, buying bikes, then cleaning them and reselling them at OUTRAGEOUS prices...Not really how they work tho. Vast majority of the used stuff they get are from people and yes, manufacturers, that contact TPC first, not the other way around.....

The utilities in their zillion square foot warehouse, the crew of more than 100 people, plus everything else that makes for their monthly fixed costs...not a small number but I get it..it's a biz you don't like and will never use..10-4...
Old 08-07-2022, 10:35 AM

[QUOTE=oldpotatoe;3128866]
Quote:

Sounds like a great conspiracy theory...a team of TPC people, sitting at their computers all day, 24/7, scouring all the used bike sites, buying bikes, then cleaning them and reselling them at OUTRAGEOUS prices...Not really how they work tho. Vast majority of the used stuff they get are from people and yes, manufacturers, that contact TPC first, not the other way around.....

The utilities in their zillion square foot warehouse, the crew of more than 100 people, plus everything else that makes for their monthly fixed costs...not a small number but I get it..it's a biz you don't like and will never use..10-4...
I predict that TPC business model will fail as time goes on. I just don't see how they can generate enough profit to cover their huge overhead nut. I may be wrong and I wish them well, as it is fun to look at the bikes they have for sale, but when seed money all used up we will see.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJones View Post
Oh please. It’s not like they’re secretly trolling Craigslist and Facebook marketplace and cornering the market.
Uhhh...I've definitely seen bikes go from local craigslist on to the Pro's Closet in a week or less. Like, saw the bike on CL, saw that it sold, then saw the exact bike listed on TPC for 3x the price in about the time it would take to ship the bike to Colorado. Genuinely would not surprise me if it's someone's job at TPC to troll classifieds for underpriced "must go now" types of sales.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:17 PM

The guys from TheProsCloset hang out at one of the local bike stops, appraising bikes and putting tiny stickers on the ones they like. They told me they were just trying to save some time, since they were going to buy every used bike on the planet eventually.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
The guys from TheProsCloset hang out at one of the local bike stops, appraising bikes and putting tiny stickers on the ones they like. They told me they were just trying to save some time, since they were going to buy every used bike on the planet eventually.
I hear they're sending people out on group rides to slip Airtags into peoples' saddlebags if they see a bike they like. Next thing the door-to-door TPC salesman is at your house making you an offer you won't refuse. A leaked internal email confirmed that the 2023 Q1 target for TPC is to fix the bike market such that any two-wheeled conveyance that is discovered to be more than six months old which does not bear the mark of TPC is to become the lawful property of TPC by default.