Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2024, 03:35 PM

Regal saddle vintage?

I love Regal saddles. I had one for years on my commuter and sold it because someone offered me $60 and I was shortsighted - dumb!

There is a local guy selling a 'mint' one from a Bianchi that he is breaking up. It looks mint and beautiful, but I notice that it has a more textured leather finish vs the smooth finish of my old one. Is that simply because I had worn down the texture over years of riding it and this one is so truly mint that it still has the texture? It also has copper rivets vs the silver rivets on my old one.

I know its an old one, so I am confident it will be comfortable, but I wonder if the texture will wear and smooth out? I am mostly asking because it is not cheap - he wanted $200CAD and has dropped the price to $150CAD so it is essentially full retail for a 30yr old saddle. I imagine that I can get it for less, but somewhere around $120 is where he might agree.

Should I just order a new one or should I try to get this old one for some real OG vibes?
Old 09-17-2024, 03:56 PM

I love Regal saddles too and have them on most of my bikes, but I've never paid that much for one and I even have a Regal T-shirt!

There's new ones distinguished by a holographic sticker on the underside and then there are old ones, of which there are many different covering variations. some say there are differences, some not, but my butt only goes on old ones. a textured one is definitely legit.
Old 09-17-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post
I love Regal saddles. I had one for years on my commuter and sold it because someone offered me $60 and I was shortsighted - dumb!

There is a local guy selling a 'mint' one from a Bianchi that he is breaking up. It looks mint and beautiful, but I notice that it has a more textured leather finish vs the smooth finish of my old one. Is that simply because I had worn down the texture over years of riding it and this one is so truly mint that it still has the texture? It also has copper rivets vs the silver rivets on my old one.

I know its an old one, so I am confident it will be comfortable, but I wonder if the texture will wear and smooth out? I am mostly asking because it is not cheap - he wanted $200CAD and has dropped the price to $150CAD so it is essentially full retail for a 30yr old saddle. I imagine that I can get it for less, but somewhere around $120 is where he might agree.

Should I just order a new one or should I try to get this old one for some real OG vibes?
I've got one I'll sell you. One is white, one is red. Both definitely have a "patina" from years of use but are in decent condition. $60CAD shipped across the Georgia Strait. I can send photos if you want.
Old 09-17-2024, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbgdh View Post
I've got one I'll sell you. One is white, one is red. Both definitely have a "patina" from years of use but are in decent condition. $60CAD shipped across the Georgia Strait. I can send photos if you want.
awww thanks! Unfortunately, black is the only colour option for me .
Old 09-17-2024, 05:02 PM

Great saddles, I buy them every now and then when I see one cheap. I use a carbon short fit SSM saddle but I'm constantly thinking of putting my 25 yr old Regal back on. It's heavy but soooo nice and comfortable.
Old 09-17-2024, 05:31 PM

I have an original black one that I would sell you for $110 shipped. It is NOS, in the original box, not a new reproduction. Let me know if you are interested. I can send a photo when I get home this evening, and I will want to look at it myself to make sure it is absolutely clean and the exact model you want.

Let me know.

Harth
Old 09-17-2024, 06:28 PM

They came in many textures, that will eventually smooth out, more or less.

Pay attention to the rivets, I think the silver ones indicate the Ti model that's like a pound lighter than the original.
Old 09-17-2024, 06:46 PM

Ooops, I couldnt resist. I took it. Its too beautiful to pass up. Thanks for the insights, as always.
Old 09-17-2024, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_douglas View Post

Maybe look here:
https://www.somafab.com/archives/product/okami-saddles
Old 09-18-2024, 05:15 AM

I collected Regal saddles at one time. So many variations from smooth, perforated, lizard, croc, steel, titanium and magnesium rails. I've even had one with sealskin (fur side). Red, blue, black, white, orange, pink--I've had all of those. Watch out for the Regale as it isn't the same shape.
Here's one I put on the classifieds a few years ago in lizard with the magnesium rails. I still have them on a few of my bikes, but not all. https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ighlight=regal

Last edited by LouDeeter; 09-18-2024 at 05:47 AM.
Old 09-18-2024, 05:51 AM

The Girairdi Regals were the original, and by far the best iteration.
Old 09-18-2024, 08:50 AM
Kind of OK

I'm going to source one for my 84 Medici. It's a period correct saddle that has a relatively modern feel.
Old 09-18-2024, 09:28 AM

They still make them

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 09-20-2024, 12:41 AM

Smile

Most of my bikes have Regal.

Would love to get that from Lou but price need to be lower. Hint..lol