Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2020, 06:55 PM
aka RAEKWON

Drivers have been really bad lately

Maybe its just in upstate NY but Covid has got people acting like A-holes. It has been really bad up here in the past 2 months. I would maybe once a month get someone who would brush by me but now it is every ride. Today I had someone not only do that but honk right as he was next to me, a truck with a huge trailer. Yesterday I had a few people as well and the worst of all was about a few weeks ago when the car slowed down next to me and someone got out of the rear window and either was trying to push me of the road or just give me a push.... regardless, I was pissed, dont ****ing touch me.

I am glad for the Garmin Varia because very single time any of this crap has happened I knew there was someone there so I did not get spooked. Very disappointed in humanity lately....

I have to say, I have been seeing a lot of plates from other states and a couple of the cars that brushed my were NJ but have had everything. I think its either people from out of town but I also think the townies hate cyclists now because they thing we are out of towners with our Lycra and fancy bikes. Can't win.

Might have to cool it on the road rides for a minute, just too many close calls. Usually this is on busier roads, i try to avoid those but sometimes you need to be on them to connect routes.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:56 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Opposite effect here, everyone seems a bit nicer behind the wheel. Must be a NY thing.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:59 PM

It’s awful here in the Bay Area too. I’m sticking to dirt, and driving to trails even if they’re close.

Stay safe!
Old 08-09-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Maybe its just in upstate NY but Covid has got people acting like A-holes. It has been really bad up here in the past 2 months. I would maybe once a month get someone who would brush by me but now it is every ride. Today I had someone not only do that but honk right as he was next to me, a truck with a huge trailer. Yesterday I had a few people as well and the worst of all was about a few weeks ago when the car slowed down next to me and someone got out of the rear window and either was trying to push me of the road or just give me a push.... regardless, I was pissed, dont ****ing touch me.

I am glad for the Garmin Varia because very single time any of this crap has happened I knew there was someone there so I did not get spooked. Very disappointed in humanity lately....

I have to say, I have been seeing a lot of plates from other states and a couple of the cars that brushed my were NJ but have had everything. I think its either people from out of town but I also think the townies hate cyclists now because they thing we are out of towners with our Lycra and fancy bikes. Can't win.

Might have to cool it on the road rides for a minute, just too many close calls. Usually this is on busier roads, i try to avoid those but sometimes you need to be on them to connect routes.
Hang in there man and stay safe.
Tourism will be winding down in a month.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:06 PM

Sorry to hear this Paulo. Might have to do with city folks moving to the Catskills and the fact that people are more on edge since March. Mental health is really on the decline since all of this. All that being said if you want to head up this way for a nice 50 miler some time you are more than welcome! Pine lake to Piseco lake loop in the Adirondacks is a nice scenic ride. It is still nice and quiet on the roads up here the majority of the time and the traffic is still comparatively very low from where you are!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2020, 07:16 PM

Just picked up a friend and took him to the hospital after being buzzed and run off the road. He busted up his chin real bad, six stitches. I am texting him waiting to pick him up. Doctors say there have been a lot of car bike accidents of late.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:21 PM
Administrator

that's unfortunate, because the nature of the most excellent riding roads in the catskills is that they are narrow and no shoulders. generally no problem, but if you get the wrong guy who is in a hurry and has bad road manners, it could be trouble.

happy to report i ride 67 miles of blissful catskills roads today and saw few cars, the ones i did were very respectful and chill. wide berths, no worries.

sometimes, i do seriously wonder as cars and suv's have gotten bigger and bigger if some drivers even really understand how wide they are. i believe a lot of drivers do not really fully appreciate how wide their cars are and how close is TOO close to pass someone on the road, especially at high speed.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post

At least in the tri-state area the ratio of asswipe drivers has increased twofold since Covid hit and that's saying a lot.

Lots of people are on edge and mental health being affected also increases irritability, but the fact of the matter is that with decreased regular traffic the morons feel it's easier to get away with being a douche canoe than before, and they're right.

Driving after about 11pm is the worst - I've witnessed at least six different road racing accidents in the past month. None big enough to cause a Fast and Furious-style disaster, but plenty of lost mirrors, destroyed bumpers, broken glass and people ridden off the road.

Stay safe out there people.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:31 PM

Dallas went from being one of the worst places to ride a bike to an ok place due to the construction of many miles of rails to trails. Otherwise, it's scary to ride on the street, so I stick to the trails and am fortunate enough to live close to one.

Take good care!
Old 08-09-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
At least in the tri-state area the ratio of asswipe drivers has increased twofold since Covid hit and that's saying a lot.

Lots of people are on edge and mental health being affected also increases irritability, but the fact of the matter is that with decreased regular traffic the morons feel it's easier to get away with being a douche canoe than before, and they're right.

Driving after about 11pm is the worst - I've witnessed at least six different road racing accidents in the past month. None big enough to cause a Fast and Furious-style disaster, but plenty of lost mirrors, destroyed bumpers, broken glass and people ridden off the road.

Stay safe out there people.
This is EXACTLY why I've transitioned to riding in the morning, even though the weather is far more pleasant here (this time of year) at night. It's just too risky right now. A higher percentage of drivers seem to have gone completely loco. I had a car pass within a foot of me today and I was rather pissed.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:25 PM

I got buzzed for the first time this year yesterday, it's August. CA plates in OR, the Governor issued a "stay at home and don't visit here" order a few weeks ago, literacy must not be their strong suit.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:37 PM

I think people are just angry and, sadly, have politicized everything, including riding. Feels like there's a super strong "mine, get out" attitude towards "others," and to cars, we are the other.

I've hung up my road bikes for the short term and am spending time in the woods.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:54 PM

I saw someone get hit today. Not bad fortunately, but the driver just drove off. Not fast, just as if nothing happened. Obviously knew he hit the biker. I tried to catch up to him but had both kids on the bike so my sprint was off!

People.

Ryan
Old 08-09-2020, 08:56 PM

I know the Catskills are “ upstate “ for many but keep on going upstate and things get better!
Old 08-09-2020, 08:59 PM

In my area most of the ppl/cars are polite and give distance but three are always a few a holes out there. Last week riding with one of my buds we got brushed close and a few choice words thrown our way. Now Jeff is black and about 6'3",#260,Olympic judo finalist. Some redneck in a big diesel truck. Caught them at a lite an the trash talking started. Jeff very calmly reached in his jersey pocket n gave the whole a quick shot of police issue pepper spray only after a blade was shown all caught on a go pro.