Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2019, 12:46 AM

Help with mountain bike potential purchase

I don’t know anything about the market, how tech has changed over the years. I’ve asked a few questions...does it have hydraulic brakes, through axles.
All I think I know is that I want a hard tail 29er. Originally thought I wanted a titanium frame but it’s not that important.
Is this a good deal? If not what would be a good amount to offer?

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...813482123.html

TIA

Last edited by kookmyers; 02-07-2019 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:05 AM

Depends on what kind of riding you want to do.. I'd say the price is a little ambitious, I'd also check pinkbike as well.

For $1200 you can get a new hardtail, something with more "modern" geometry/trail ready like a commencal meta HT, which gives you options on tires/wheels etc, but won't be a carbon cross country bike like that Zaskar is, and has different components 1x but lower tier spec

https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-ht...19-c2x26304817
Old 02-07-2019, 07:32 AM

If it's a 2x10, you don't want it. Dates the parts somewhat along with the geometry. Fork and the wheels too. Sure it's fine mechanically but probably a generation or 2 behind in tech...and the price doesn't reflect that

I mean come on, where is the remote control drooper post
Old 02-07-2019, 07:44 AM

Before you start looking at specific bikes, you need to figure out what style of bike would work best for you, what kind of trails you want to ride, racing or just recreational riding, etc. That will steer you in the right direction.

I agree that bike is dated and overpriced. You want something with a 1x11 drivetrain, and more modern geometry. Also consider Plus tires if you're not racing.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:06 AM

I ride SD county

I'd say go to a shop, verify you need a XL size. Maybe demo a few. Once you get a few models you know you like, then look for a deal. I will say most places I ride, and over the years that is most places nearby, the newer standard 1x11 or 1x12 (SRAM eagle offerings) is plenty. I have an older 29er Ti independent fabrication, i haven't been able to part with it out of nostalgia--it was the bike i got back into mtb on. I've switched it to 1x11, wider bars, shorter stem, taller fork (lefty), so it feels more like my more modern full suspension (FS) bikes. My arthritis likes FS more, so consider FS if the future if that is a concern. I still love it for shorter fast efficient riding. Bikebling in Escondido has had good sales, as does JensonUSA, which is about an hour drive north--they have demo and open box return sales listed periodically online where you can get a good deal. Nothing beats the deals on pinkbike for Canadian bikes ships that switch to skiing for the winter, or USA LBS demo's. Most of the bike shops in Moab UT take good care of their demo bikes and sell them at the end of each season--many list them online (i'd bet nearly all are FS though)
good luck, the search isn't half the fun (the trails are), but it can still be fun nonetheless. I have an XL evil the following 29er you are welcome to come up to north county and i'll take you on local trails (once the mud dries).
Old 02-07-2019, 09:33 AM

https://www.jensonusa.com/Kona-Explosif-Bike-2018

Might be more than you want to spend, but it's a great bike and you can get it from Jenson locally...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmyers View Post
I don’t know anything about the market, how tech has changed over the years. I’ve asked a few questions...does it have hydraulic brakes, through axles.
All I think I know is that I want a hard tail 29er. Originally thought I wanted a titanium frame but it’s not that important.
Is this a good deal? If not what would be a good amount to offer?

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...813482123.html

TIA
Have you done any mountain biking? Do you own one now?
Old 02-07-2019, 09:40 AM

I think the bike is fairly priced, decent fork, decent wheels, shimano brakes and decent components definitely worth checking out IMO. I think it would be a great MTB to get.

If you are more of a Roadie, I think you'll enjoy the steeper head angle as opposed to the slacker geometry of some newer bikes. I find the newer slacker geo is great for super technical stuff but for most trails it makes the bike feel like an "ice cream truck" that's just my opinion of course.

Go for a test ride and if you like it offer $1,000 for it.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
Have you done any mountain biking? Do you own one now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
I have an XL evil the following 29er you are welcome to come up to north county and i'll take you on local trails (once the mud dries).
Thank you everyone for your help. It is much appreciated. I'll be honest...this bike will be used primarily as a cruiser. I will use it to ride around the neighborhood with my 4 yr old son. I'll take it off-road at Miramar Lake. There is a canyon by my house i may take it down. I dont know what the future holds with respect to my son's desire to go actual mountain biking. I need big gears to get up hills and to continue to help push him up them. I am currently using a GT Pantera circa 1997. 3x9 i think. I purchased it new in college and i think it is too small for me. Not that i have grown, but back then i actually wanted to mountain bike with it and wanted lots of standover. I currently ride it with the seat way too low and i replaced the giant stem with a stubby to try and allow myself a more comfortable position. I have fun when i take it off road at Miramar Lake and that is the only "mountain biking" ive done in decades. I'd prefer to stay away from FS only due to the added mechanical complexity (maintenance) and weight. I dont see myself bombing down rough hills. Even when i was young i didnt care to go fast down the off-road hills due to what I saw as an unacceptable risk/reward with the inevitable crash.
Jim, thank you very much for the offer!
Old 02-07-2019, 10:12 AM

future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kookmyers View Post
I dont know what the future holds with respect to my son's desire to go actual mountain biking.
Jim, thank you very much for the offer!
mine started to have decent judgement and skills about age 9. They go with me, but neither LOVE it as i do. Oh well, you have years before you may need a bike where keeping up with junior is a factor--so get something now if you want, or continue riding the current bike until your son's skills force an upgrade

Modern FS is great when you get in a little bit over your skill level. Of course one could argue it can also give you a bit of false competence and get you in over your head. For where you ride, and even if you explore all of mission trails, hardtail is fine. I rode a 26" hardtail all over mission trials to include now illegal rides up spring canyon onto the eastern rim of miramar to martha's grove and back via oak canyon into mission trails.
The offer stands if you want to try the Evil
jim
Old 02-07-2019, 10:12 AM

I'd pass and look for something more modern, latest geometry. If your looking for used pinkbike is an excellent place to shop.
These modern hardtails not only make riding technical trails more fun they also hold their own doing XC.
I recently rode a Whyte hardtail, not sure what model, 2017 maybe. For a little more than a $1000 it was an outstanding trail bike!
https://whyte.bike/
Old 02-07-2019, 10:18 AM

Why all the hate for 2x10? I recently picked up a new Moots MootoX RSL, which is 2x10 XTR. I love it and see no reason to replace.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
Depends on what kind of riding you want to do.. I'd say the price is a little ambitious, I'd also check pinkbike as well.

For $1200 you can get a new hardtail, something with more "modern" geometry/trail ready like a commencal meta HT, which gives you options on tires/wheels etc, but won't be a carbon cross country bike like that Zaskar is, and has different components 1x but lower tier spec

https://www.commencalusa.com/meta-ht...19-c2x26304817
Nice-looking option. Any guess as to the weight spec'd as shown?

Old 02-07-2019, 12:34 PM

From review below, its big brother ($1600) is around 29lb, so no lightweight for sure, as I and others said earlier, depends on what you wanna do, this would be fairly bomb proof, and spec'd nice

review here: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...essential-2019
Old 02-07-2019, 12:47 PM

If you’re mostly just cruising around on the road and and going really slow off road then it’s probably overkill to get a 30lb all mountain bike. I think that GT is overpriced but generally speaking a lightweight cross country 29er is probably a good bet for your needs imo.