Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2019, 06:29 PM

All this makes me wonder if the original poster's Peg has it already.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:37 PM

some olive oil (extra virgin) and garlic powder should to the trick. no sea salt though, too corrosive.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj_michigan View Post
Serotta started doing it around '96.
I thought Rivendell use to do that with the Rivendell models but I couldn't find any proof of that, but I thought I had heard that they use to do that. Almost all custom steel builders will only do it by request only, and some will tell you to take the bike to your local bike shop and have them do it. I couldn't find anything on the internet about any builder doing it automatically except for Independent Fabricators and they use 3M Rustfighter 1 Internal Panel Coating. I would have to assume that if IF does this before shipping the frame out there has to be some other custom builder that does the same thing. IF does recommend to their clients that they have to ideally renew the treatment every year to be truly effective. I had to request Mercian to do it.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:42 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
I thought Rivendell use to do that with the Rivendell models but I couldn't find any proof of that, but I thought I had heard that they use to do that. Almost all custom steel builders will only do it by request only, and some will tell you to take the bike to your local bike shop and have them do it. I couldn't find anything on the internet about any builder doing it automatically except for Independent Fabricators and they use 3M Rustfighter 1 Internal Panel Coating. I would have to assume that if IF does this before shipping the frame out there has to be some other custom builder that does the same thing. IF does recommend to their clients that they have to ideally renew the treatment every year to be truly effective. I had to request Mercian to do it.
Read through the thread. There are custom builders that do it. One of them even posted in this thread.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:20 PM

Hey David Kirk ...

Quote:
Can you comment on this?
Old 02-03-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Can you comment on this?
I don't recall that being the case.

dave
Old 02-07-2019, 11:45 AM
Ride to eat.

Framesavered an old giant steel bike but had the darnedest time keeping the quill stem from twisting under pressure. Had to clean it out real good to get it to stick.

Anybody else ever had this issue?
Old 02-07-2019, 12:21 PM

My friend who used to do the finish work at Circle A cycles in Providence uses automotive cavity wax to prevent rust in frames. Its much less toxic and pretty easy to apply. Seeing as hes one of the best finish workers out there, I totally trust his recommendation.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:05 PM

I do spray my steel frames, but I will say that modern steel tubing doesn’t rust out under normal circumstances. The alloys are quite corrosion resistant, generally just accumulating surface corrosion. Absent a hostile environment (near the ocean, lots of sweat, a big dent or scratch, etc...), keeping the frame dry will help it last a lifetime.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
Framesavered an old giant steel bike but had the darnedest time keeping the quill stem from twisting under pressure. Had to clean it out real good to get it to stick.

Anybody else ever had this issue?
My LBS, who is also a frame-maker, dislikes Framesaver for this reason - i.e., he believes that parts slip too much, especially seatposts.

On my most recent frame, I masked off the top of the seat-tube, the top and bottom of the head-tube, and the edges of the bottom bracket. You know, where it actually might rust.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:10 AM

A Good Option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsawyer23 View Post
My friend who used to do the finish work at Circle A cycles in Providence uses automotive cavity wax to prevent rust in frames. Its much less toxic and pretty easy to apply. Seeing as hes one of the best finish workers out there, I totally trust his recommendation.
Found this online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihxT2wanEhA

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Found this online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihxT2wanEhA

Any thoughts appreciated.
im curious about this as well as I have a new frame getting delivered today; though I have a small amount of framesaver leftover from a couple years ago.

but at least one takeaway from this thread is to definitely stuff an old shirt down the seat tube from the top to avoid getting this stuff where the seatpost goes. Last time I sprayed a frame completely, I had a heck of a time with my thomson slipping. Had to torque the heck out of the binder bolt.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsawyer23 View Post
Much less toxic? Then why do you have to wear protective gloves, respirator, and protective clothing when using the stuff? LOL!!!! You don't have to wear any of that stuff with Frame Saver or Linseed oil, or Boeshield T-9.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Can you comment on this?
I'm not sure when it started, but by '03 it was S.O.P.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:34 AM

It's so dry where i live in don't think this is necessary. Might do it just to be safe