Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2019, 12:27 PM

Confession

In 30+ years of riding, I have never, ever ridden a Ti bike. Haven't even thrown a leg over one. Will I die an empty, broken cyclist if I never do?
Old 01-27-2019, 12:28 PM

Same here...
Old 01-27-2019, 12:28 PM
aka RAEKWON

+1

do want to try one though but I will be honest, do not expect it to be any better than a steel bike
Old 01-27-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
In 30+ years of riding, I have never, ever ridden a Ti bike. Haven't even thrown a leg over one. Will I die an empty, broken cyclist if I never do?
Yes. As will I. But I've graciously accepted that as my fate and look at it as one of those things on my bucket list that was never meant to be.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:08 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I'm the same...but not for much longer. I finally found a Ti frame that meets my criteria and I'll soon find out just how one rides.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:11 PM
Randomhead

I just sold my Teledyne titan. What a relief. I always laugh when people talk about how Ti never breaks.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:16 PM

I have a Moots and it is without a doubt the best bike I've ever had. I do ride my Cannondale more these days though. I got the Moots to be an aggressive racing bike while the Synapse is more of an upright ride. The Moots was a perfect balance of comfort and speed. Nothing beats a good steel bike for comfort though. So I'd say you got nothing to worry about thought if you get a chance to try one do it.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:18 PM

I bought a 2002 LeMond Victoire (full Ti frame). It rides beautifully.

There are a lot of Ti frames from that era, with straight/non-tapered 1.125" steerer tubes. They're fairly cheap second-hand, all things considered, if you want to try one out.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:22 PM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
Parkes pal, I won't go that far to say that you will die "empty and broken" so no you won't...because if you are one of the "steel is real" people, than you already know and have experienced what a top-shelf bike rides like.

HOWEVER....personally, I do recommend that you gave Ti a serious consideration because :

1. Variety is spice of life

2. High quality used Ti bike can be had for nickels on a dime

3. Because of those two very reasons I mentioned above, it begs the question to anyone who haven't ridden a Ti bike...."why not?"

The last thing I would add is, just as there are a variety of reasons why certain steel bikes ride better than others, the same is true with Ti. So, if you do make the jump, treat it as you would in search of the "one", give it a fair shake - if you do that, I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.

And to reinforce once again, you don't have to spend a lot to experience what a good Ti bike feels like, you just have to find the "one" for you....I paid $800 for a 2003 Merlin Agilis a few years ago. It has become one of the "best riding" bikes I ever had. It is the "one" for me, the search is over. I am not moved at all by people who said things like "but you haven't tried a Moots. or a 22"....lucky for me, I have ridden so many different bikes that I have developed the acumen for filtering bull$hit and able to discern what is and what isn't true.

Last edited by weisan; 01-27-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I just sold my Teledyne titan. What a relief. I always laugh when people talk about how Ti never breaks.
Good for you! They were pioneers. But for the swaging and the inherent disadvantage of CP tubing, they might have stuck around.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:42 PM
shimergo

In contrast, I've ridden only metal (steel/aluminum/Ti) and currently own a couple of steel and one titanium. I've only ridden a carbon bike exactly once, and that was last week while test riding one of my options for my next bike!
Old 01-27-2019, 02:00 PM
Proud Grandpa

Wait a farging minute!!
People who haven’t ridden a titanium frame?? People that don’t want a gravel bike?????
Next thing ya know dogs and cats will be livin’ together!! The end is at hand!!

Old 01-27-2019, 02:08 PM

I do t think the ti bikes I’ve ridden were necessarily any better than the same thing in steel (2x Serottas, a Desalvo and a Redline) but what I do love is the maintenance free aspect of the frame. My redline is my daily commuter in the PNW, and no amount of rain or sludge will damage it - I love that.

That said, I do love painted bikes as well, and I can’t justify painting ti bikes, so hence my love for steel ones...

My next bike will likely be steel - just because...
Old 01-27-2019, 02:22 PM

Never ridden Ti either - only steel and carbon. Tho might change as came across a Moots Vamoots RSL that is just my size. Could use advice from folks here, but that would be another post.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
Ah, the benchmark of modern titanium frame technology and construction.