Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2019, 08:25 AM

Essential bike tools?

I think I've got everything I need short of headset press or crown race setter or bb tap/face tool.

This being said, I want to parse through what I have and organize better.
Inspiration: https://www.instagram.com/p/BrGHlWFl...d=geoqvpg1ejgo
Old 01-27-2019, 08:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by belopsky View Post
I think I've got everything I need short of headset press or crown race setter or bb tap/face tool.

This being said, I want to parse through what I have and organize better.
Inspiration: https://www.instagram.com/p/BrGHlWFl...d=geoqvpg1ejgo
way too pretty...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_.jpg (50.2 KB, 251 views)
Old 01-27-2019, 08:51 AM
ZhugeLiang

you are (more than) good to go.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:55 PM

what are those L handle hex wrenches?
Old 01-27-2019, 01:26 PM
Randomhead

I think you are talking about the instagram link? Those are t-handle wrenches with the tee slid over so they pack tighter. I used to know what they were until I priced them and the shock erased my memory.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:48 PM

Potato set up is cool, I have all my moving around the place, u cant imagine. Problem is that my home is so tiny that I do not have a room to put my stuff in :/

As for tools still missing... taps, rd alligment tool (i have one self made tho)... a real headset crownfork tool because the one i have is a plastic pipe
Old 01-27-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I think you are talking about the instagram link? Those are t-handle wrenches with the tee slid over so they pack tighter. I used to know what they were until I priced them and the shock erased my memory.
Good. Save me the heart palpitations.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:34 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

"essential" to build a bike or maintain one?

Maintain -- Snips, screwdriver, hex set and maybe a chainwhip.

Build -- oh boy
Old 01-27-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Good. Save me the heart palpitations.
I assume those are either the Silca or Feedback t handles. I don't think the Feedback ones are sliding handle, so I'd guess Silca.

That user on instagram (tunedbytyler) posts some of the most amazing shots on IG. He's I guess one of Specialized's main mechanics in house and for events. Does some awesome stuff. One of my favorites was his rigging of Playstation buttons in a sram lever to shift Di2.

As far as essential tools... #toolboxwars is raging across the bike mechanic world as it does every winter when for some guys things slow down. Lots of awesome images to be had by following that hashtag.

I dig my silca tools (ti-torque/t-handle and hx-one set). Just ordered their three-way also.

I have two fancy portable tool box set-ups. One of wheel building tools, and another that's less fancy with general shop tools. The nicer one is an actual Pelican Air case with laser cut foam, the cheaper is a harbor freight (apache?) case with pick apart foam hacked to rough shapes.

Last edited by MaraudingWalrus; 01-27-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:08 PM
Randomhead

The mechanic thought leaders were going crazy over PB Swiss t-handles a couple of years ago. They are over $40 each. I think that's what I'm seeing.
At least they are all getting Wera hex wrenches (~$35) nowadays. When everybody was spending $90 on a set of PB Swiss wrenches I thought there was going to have to be an intervention.

I am happiest with my Wiha dual-drive t-handles. They go for about $70 for a set. A little bulkier than the all-metal ones.

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-27-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:16 PM

I have yet to go real snoob when it comes to tools. Im actually quite thankful for that so im going to stop looking in this thread or else its going to cost me.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
way too pretty...
I agree. That "packed in foam" arrangement is too much drama, and wastes space for more tools!

Buy tools AS YOU NEED THEM and invariably you'll wind up with the essentials.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:52 PM
Forward the Foundation

Customizable tools cases come from the Specialized Products,
no relation to the bike company.
Prices reflect the fact the most Specialized tool sets are
purchased with OPM, other peoples money.

https://www.specialized.net/tool-kit...ool-cases.html

My essential tool is a dead blow hammer.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:45 PM
Randomhead

the advantage of the foam is that it's fairly easy to make your own pallets. Some of the toolbox wars guys are using carbon panels with clips, which is more space-efficient. The toolboxes from companies like Park and Pedros have pallets that fit their tools, but nobody wants to stick to those tool lines. So the pallets are off.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:22 PM

I only buy what I need when I need it so I don't have a bunch of tools setting around that never get used, I've done it this way for years even with my auto and home tools. If the repair is a once in a lifetime repair and the cost of the tool is more expensive than the repair I just take it to the shop and not bother spending the money for a tool.

I had a Cadillac once that had a short 4 inch hose that went from the back of the engine block to the firewall, the way the hose was placed I couldn't reach it with no tool that I had either from the top or from the bottom of the car. So I called around and found out that Cadillac had a special tool made just for that stupid hose and I could buy it from Snap On because regular tool shops wouldn't carry it, the tool was $150, I called about having a radiator shop do the repair and the cost was $75, so guess what I did? Yup, I took it to the shop because I knew once it was fixed I wasn't going to have to replace that hose again till I retired the car and then I would have a tool that I would never use again, so I saved $75. So I weigh out the purchase price of the tool vs cost to have someone else do it, vs how often would I use the tool.

So there are a lot of tools that I don't have for a bicycle repair because I've never needed it. It would be nice to have a truing stand and tools that not only trues but also checks the dish and spoke tension, but I can have that done at a shop for $15 for two wheels, but I true mine anyway without a truing stand by using the brake pads as my "squeaky" guide, and the dishing and tension really only needs to be done about once or twice in the wheels lifetime. So I don't see the need to spend around $400 for all the correct truing tools needed.

So for cycling specific tools I don't have much, pedal wrench, couple of cone wrenches, assorted spoke wrenches, a crank puller, tire tools, brake offset wrench, a tool that holds the brake pads against the rim (can't recall the name of it), chain tool, usual stuff not really strictly for bikes but I have laying around in my shop like flat and Phillips drivers, sockets, socket wrenches, adjustable wrench, pliers, assorted hex and torx tools, etc. Going by memory I think I covered them all.

Believe it or not, but after I bought my first Park MTB1 mini tool, (I also have the Park MTB3) I rarely even reach for my other tools even if at home.