Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2019, 07:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfeet View Post
Looking for pictures on how you carry your spare tubulars on your road bike. I switched today and want some solutions other than the clunky bag I have.
Wrap it up flat and strap under yer saddle..Use a Binda or Campagnolo strap for most coffee shop points...Easiest if you open the valve(or take it out) and roll the tire up to get all the air outta it..Also pre glue it.let dry.

If I worry about 2 flats(had this 3 times since 1985..2 flats n one ride)..I carry another in a cut off water bottle..On my wet weather moots(I own no clinchers), I put the tire in an old sock..with a metal lever and $5...

Congratulations on adding a truly superior tire system to your rig..you won't be disappointed!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cinelli_Model_B057.jpg (32.2 KB, 182 views)
Old 01-26-2019, 07:40 AM

I did a video a while back on how to fold tubs, i’ll see if I can dig it out......
Old 01-26-2019, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Admittedly I ride small bikes so anything strapped to the underside of my saddle gets pretty dirty and gritty; especially on wet road days since my saddle is physically pretty close to the rear tire. As such; a spare tubie just strapped down there would attract some definite road mung, especially on the preglued base tape. For this reason I use an Arundel tubie bag. Works nicely and cinches up tight under the saddle with no swaying.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:20 AM

I carry my spare tire around my waist. I never leave home without it.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:34 AM

Tubular.jpg
Old 01-26-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
photos or it didnt happen.

IMG_2419.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-26-2019, 09:07 AM

For me the answer is easy... I do not carry even a pump
Old 01-26-2019, 09:19 AM

I fold mine up and put it in a Thompson seat post sack and attach it to my saddle with a strap or velcro strip. I think the sack helps protect it. That's a can of some flat fixer stuff taped to the seatpost. But it doesn't really work so I don't bother carrying that stuff anymore.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
photos or it didnt happen.
Atsa me....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tubular portage.jpg (9.2 KB, 151 views)
Old 01-26-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdude View Post
This makes me cringe.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:04 PM

Back jersey pocket.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
Neatly but not compulsively tightly rolled up and secured with and a toe strap. As per Ralph, above, plenty of old glue to get me home. Has worked for the last 40+ years.

Last summer:

[IMG][/IMG]
Nice rig!!
Old 01-26-2019, 11:17 PM

I use narrow tire for a spare and it folds up pretty compact...tuck in a tire lever and drop it into the second waterbottle cage...unless its a long hot ride, then it goes under the saddle.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Back in the day, I folded it and placed it under the saddle using an old toe strap. Back then, we used frame pumps.
LOL, I remembering doing that too, great days but I didn't much care for tubulars back then because they had little in flat protection so I always carried two spare strapped to the underside of the saddle. I also carried my tubular flat repair kit and several times I flatted all three tubs and had to sit on the side of the road taking stitching apart, patching and restitching, fun fun fun, tubs had nothing for flat protection back then. When Specialized came out with the Turbo folding tire and better flat protection, I got new rims asap and those tires and never looked back.

Frame pumps I liked, they were much easier to pump then even the best mini pumps of today like the Lezyne Road Drive. Last summer I bought my first new frame pump since the early 80's for my touring bike a Zefal HPX, but I do carry a mini when touring for backup just in case. The new Zefal HPX works a lot better than the Topeak Morph G that I own and consider it to be a half frame pump that can convert into a mini floor pump.

I still have my last Zefal I bought in the 80's but it no longer puts out much air; and I also still have a Silca Impero with a Campy head from the early 80's and that thing is almost new in condition and still pumps quite well, but I don't use it anymore, it sets on my bookshelf for looks!

Today you can get saddle bags like the Topeak Aero Wedge in a large size that will take a tubular inside, or it also has straps under the bag specifically for a tubular, BUT I wouldn't recommend using those straps for that purpose because over time those straps stretch out and won't rebound, so just don't bother using them and stick it inside, it'll fit just fine with room to spare. I know this for a fact because I use to put a folding tire in my bag along with a tube, mini tool, tire repair tools, and other sorted odds and ends.

Last edited by froze; 01-26-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:41 PM

I fold mine into an an Arundel or Jandd saddle bag (let all the air out as Potatoe suggests) and a second one in my front bag, handlebar or mini rando bag. I ride on trails sometimes and I've gotten double flats on several occasions.