Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 05:05 PM

Places to ride in west Phoenix

Hey, I may be taking a trip to the western part of Phoenix soon in the town of Goodyear. I am thinking about shipping a bike there since it doesn't seem too cost effective to rent there.

Any good places to ride? I am mostly a roadie, but I could ship my cross bike instead if that is best.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:10 PM

hmmm...no Phoenix people, eh?
Old 01-24-2019, 03:14 PM
Kind of OK

East Phoenix. I grew up in west Phoenix and always rode over to Tempe/Scottsdale/PV to ride. West PHX is flat and ugly. South Mountain is in south central Phoenix.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:17 PM

I kinda recall doing an industrial park crit in Goodyear back in the day. Lewis is right - most of the good PHX riding happens in the eastern and northern suburbs.

I'm sure there is something though... Strava heat map, maybe?
Old 01-24-2019, 03:21 PM
Small ring

North Phoenix, here. No idea out by Goodyear. Check Strava/RideWithGPS for routes.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:54 PM

I've lived here for 15 years and have only ventured West of the 51 two times.......maybe three
Old 01-24-2019, 05:08 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
I've lived here for 15 years and have only ventured West of the 51 two times.......maybe three
Same. South Mtn twice and Ahwatukee once. It's hard to beat PV/N.Scottsdale/Fountain Hills
Old 01-24-2019, 06:44 PM

Just moved from Scottsdale/PV area to buckeye (west of Goodyear).....let’s just leave it at I miss my old hood so much
Old 01-24-2019, 06:55 PM

I lived in Scottsdale and as has been mentioned riding is great. Moved back to area last Fall and haven't gotten a full habit developed of riding from the new home in Laveen which is a bit south and east of Goodyear. I can get to South Mountain and to the east valley routes fairly easily. Going west there is construction to watch out for day to day but Broadway over to Avondale Blvd and ride south to the Raceway then east over to Estrella Pkwy and then down to Estrella Mtn Park. Check strava heatmap for popular routes. I don't have a real feel for it but from limited experience it had potential to make it into my routine, once I develop a routine.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:20 PM

If you are at all a MTB rider, Estrella is pretty fun.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:57 PM

My mother in law used to live in Goodyear. I wouldn’t road ride there myself. I’d rent a MTB and head out to White Tank Mountain Park. The race loop trail is pretty nice.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:52 AM
Serotta Red

Location: Leawood, KS- It is in Kansas City, July west tisbury October tucson
Dicey traffic

But lots of bike lanes
Go to Tucson
SN# HC-54-265
Old 01-25-2019, 08:37 AM

The west valley group is solid. Good group and if you’re not able to join one of their rides you can see the routes.

http://westvalleycycle.net/index.html
Old 01-25-2019, 08:45 AM

I was in Phoenix for a conference and had an afternoon off, so I got on a downtown Grid Bike and rode to the top of South Mountain. The saddle was, umm, uncomfortable, the bike weighed a metric ****e-ton, and the descent was a bit sketchy on those brakes, but it was awesome in a crazy way.

It was a monthly bike-only weekend on South Mountain. I suggest checking if it’s on during your visit. It would have been worth a road bike rental and a drive from a nearby suburb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
I was in Phoenix for a conference and had an afternoon off, so I got on a downtown Grid Bike and rode to the top of South Mountain. The saddle was, umm, uncomfortable, the bike weighed a metric ****e-ton, and the descent was a bit sketchy on those brakes, but it was awesome in a crazy way.

It was a monthly bike-only weekend on South Mountain. I suggest checking if it’s on during your visit. It would have been worth a road bike rental and a drive from a nearby suburb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Currently, at least as far as I know, the road up South Mountain is closed to motorized traffic all day on the 4th Sunday and in the morning every Sunday. That may change as it is a trial program running through March. To be clear the 4th Sunday has been around for a long time and will continue, the Sunday mornings is the trial part.