Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
I'm on my second BMW x5 diesel. L O V E it. great torque and really good mileage.
If an X5 is an option, I'd throw out the Cayenne Diesel as well.
Just replaced my wife's 2012 X5D with one and must say it's a major upgrade in almost all aspects.
Most significantly when it comes to the engine: more refined, quieter and much better MPG.
On top of it, the extended warranty due to Dieselgate is more than a nice to have.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:20 PM

About 10 years ago, I was looking for a Tacoma or 4-Runner -- diesel LC or Rovers available, alas. I really wanted one. I was, however, put off by crazy used prices (and inflexible dealer pricing at the time) and poor fuel economy. I decided that a domestic diesel p/u would give me better economy and payload for less money. I had some worries about reliability, but I went ahead. I will also note that range was a concern, as I had visions of "overlanding" at the time.

My data points -- 2004 Dodge Cummins 3500 SLT SRW -- lift/35's, 5.9l 325hp/650lb/ft. The truck was excellent off road (AZ desert), good mileage despite big tires and lift. 20+ mpg highway is easy, 24 was my highest, but I can't keep anything under 60mph for long. I owned the truck for 5+ years and did a water pump and AC compressor. I did oil and fuel filters myself -- very reliable for me. The best part for me is that diesel pickups without crazy high miles retain value very well. I traded this truck on my newer truck after 75k miles and five years for about $1500 less than I paid for it.

Current truck, 2014 RAM 2500 Cummins Laramie Mega cab, 6.7l, 395hp/800lb/ft, now with 54k miles. This truck is much better on highway (coil suspension), at the cost of off road ability due to wheelbase. The mega cab is great for passengers and travel, but you end up on a long bed chassis. That said, the truck has spent a lot of time in dirt and rocks in AZ, and it does surprisingly well stock. It has ventilated seats, good stereo, etc. It can do 22-23 mpg highway 65mph or under; mileage decreases with speed. I usually get about 20 -21 at my typical freeway speeds. This truck has also been very reliable.

The newer truck uses DEF. The system has been seamless in operation, and I like that the truck does not smoke. I get about 1400 mpg for DEF, and the tank holds 5 gallons. The key is to get the DPF up to high temperature rather regularly. The truck is now out of warranty, so I may get a tuner so that I can force a regen from time to time. The new Ford Super Duties evidently can do this stock.

Both of these trucks tow exceptionally well. I got 14.5mpg at a 67mph average with an 9000lb load towing across the country last spring. Range unladen, with on board fuel, for both trucks is about 600 miles. I like that. Other than fuel filter service, two batteries to replace and greater oil capacity when it comes time to change, I haven't seen much difference in service costs. Transmission, differentials and T-case service intervals are the same as gas trucks.

Overall, I have been quite pleased. I like diesel trucks, and the newer domestic interiors are very good. If the size works for you, the vehicles are worth considering.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:40 PM

My 4cyl diesel has been awesome!

Old 01-22-2019, 05:42 PM

thanks for all the recommendations. I'm a bit of a peasant so i wasn't even thinking euro luxury vehicles but the x5 looks really great just wish i felt more comfortable working on it. if i felt solid about it's reliability. my father had a 3 series about 15 years ago that just started dumping coolant in the middle of the street and super-overheated the engine which killed it only a few years after buying it new off the lot.

Gern, have you had any concerns with the quality of your dodge trucks? being a jeeper i am totally turned off by Chrysler regardless, their quality is garbage. Every jeep i've had I basically rebuild slowly with superior aftermarket parts because it's all straight trash from the factory. i love the idea of a dodge cummins though despite the size. the diesel grand cherokees have been on my radar for a long time but i don't trust em maybe i should go take a look at one. they're rare and owners usually selling them for a reason other than trying to free up cash.

my daily is always toyota for reliability but we just bought a rav 4 for my wife's daily, so i'm feeling a bit adventurous.

Last edited by cinema; 01-22-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:09 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
thanks for all the recommendations. I'm a bit of a peasant so i wasn't even thinking euro luxury vehicles but the x5 looks really great just wish i felt more comfortable working on it. if i felt solid about it's reliability. my father had a 3 series about 15 years ago that just started dumping coolant in the middle of the street and super-overheated the engine which killed it only a few years after buying it new off the lot.

Gern, have you had any concerns with the quality of your dodge trucks? being a jeeper i am totally turned off by Chrysler regardless, their quality is garbage. Every jeep i've had I basically rebuild slowly with superior aftermarket parts because it's all straight trash from the factory. i love the idea of a dodge cummins though despite the size. the diesel grand cherokees have been on my radar for a long time but i don't trust em maybe i should go take a look at one. they're rare and owners usually selling them for a reason other than trying to free up cash.

my daily is always toyota for reliability but we just bought a rav 4 for my wife's daily, so i'm feeling a bit adventurous.
There are a ton of DIY threads on the BMW forums. They aren't any kind of voodoo magic: the basics are still the basics.

Pelican Parts or BavAuto for parts and away you go

M
Old 01-22-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
There are a ton of DIY threads on the BMW forums. They aren't any kind of voodoo magic: the basics are still the basics.

Pelican Parts or BavAuto for parts and away you go

M

the 2009 looks really nice from some initial googling. it's supposedly an inline 6 that makes 420 torque. ok i'm listening.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:21 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
the 2009 looks really nice from some initial googling. it's supposedly an inline 6 that makes 420 torque. ok i'm listening.
I'm on my 2nd BMW and will likely buy another here soon.

Going back to the E46 because I miss the engine in my 2002 328i. MAN! was that a fun car to drive

M
Old 01-24-2019, 10:20 AM

No VAG products? The fixed/later model TDIs can be found here and there. We had a Sportwagen TDI which was about as close as you can come to a perfect small family/sporty/efficient vehicle around, EPA fraud notwithstanding.

600 miles on a full tank of diesel, great handling, surprising pickup and happy to cruise at 90 mph all day while still putting out high 40s mpg.

We were considering ignoring the buyback on our high mileage 2010 and getting ours fixed....however the moonroof jammed and the $1K repair bill along with other assorted wear and tear issues made us reconsider. Then they upped our offer to $13,500....felt stupid to walk away from that on a car with $3000-4000 in repairs pending. But I'd buy another.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:58 PM
what's a little rust?

disclaimer: I'm not an equipment auction veteran or endorser by any means, but my dad has been purchasing at equipment auctions for decades. He just picked up a GMC 4x4 crew cab diesel to pull his trailer. It's in very good condition and he feels it was a very good price.

I liked auctions when I was a kid because he'd let me climb up on the biggest bulldozer I could find.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:32 PM

grand cherokee ecodiesel

Quote:
the diesel grand cherokees have been on my radar for a long time but i don't trust em maybe i should go take a look at one. they're rare and owners usually selling them for a reason other than trying to free up cash..
My wife has a 2015-16, i love it, and she loves it except she has had to take it in 3 times because she only has to get the kids to school 2-3 times a week (car pool) and run errands within 3 miles, so she has not achieved the highway speed/duration for the regen or whatever. After the 3rd time the service guy told her to plan a highway drive periodically somewhere to avoid this. For anyone with a normal commute or weekend plans, i would not hesitate--it hasn't had any other issues and just goes in for oil changes and tire rotation. my wife dislikes having to drive somewhere just because it is good for the car, so she toys with trading it in, but hasn't pulled that trigger. if you are in north san diego area and want to link up--perhaps a mtn bike ride? I'd be happy to let you take it for a quick spin.
jim
Old 01-24-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
My wife has a 2015-16, i love it, and she loves it except she has had to take it in 3 times because she only has to get the kids to school 2-3 times a week (car pool) and run errands within 3 miles, so she has not achieved the highway speed/duration for the regen or whatever. After the 3rd time the service guy told her to plan a highway drive periodically somewhere to avoid this. For anyone with a normal commute or weekend plans, i would not hesitate--it hasn't had any other issues and just goes in for oil changes and tire rotation. my wife dislikes having to drive somewhere just because it is good for the car, so she toys with trading it in, but hasn't pulled that trigger. if you are in north san diego area and want to link up--perhaps a mtn bike ride? I'd be happy to let you take it for a quick spin.
jim
Wow that is so kind of you. How many miles are on it? I’d say I’d be down for a road ride pretty soon but my back is really all bent out of shape due to the accident and it’s only been getting worse.

Doctor said it will get worse up to two weeks before it gets better and then if it doesn’t we would move forward with imaging and stuff. I don’t like going to the doc I’ve been in a lot of mtb and road accidents always recouperate though. Lived with fractured rib for months just not agitating it and it cleared up eventually.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:03 PM

north america? surely there are some diesel options in mexico?
Old 01-24-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
north america? surely there are some diesel options in mexico?
Recently I came very close to buying a minty Mitsubishi pajero with the 2.4L turbo diesel in Mexico. I think it was a good price but I talked myself out of it really kicking myself for that one. What a mistake
Old 01-25-2019, 08:33 PM

The New Chevy Colorado?

Surprised no one has mentioned the new Colorado. Turned my 2.0 TDI buy-back $$$ and a low mileage Nissan Frontier into one a little over two years ago. Very pleased. The 4 cyl Duramax has been bomber so far (knock on wood). No towing for me but, working in project management, regularly visit worksites needing clearance + 4-wheel drive, put in pretty big miles (+25k a year), throwing crap in the bed, etc. Regularly getting +30 mpg in mixed driving.

Now over 50k miles, starting to get to the point where durability will reveal itself but, again, very pleased.

Only real downside is the expense - is a crazy expensive option over the gas version. The the improved mileage alone is paying for itself in my case.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:12 AM

My second hand 2014 328d wagon has been a nice ride. No major issues, but only 60K at this point. I understand the NOX sensor is an expensive repair, but just got a notice that the warranty has been increased to 120K. Not many of these around, but a good choice if you find one. As a reminder, any diesel is likely to be less sensitive to climate concerns, though.