Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2019, 12:13 PM

OT: Are there ANY decent Diesel options in NA?

I was in a head on collision over the weekend and I'm pinching myself hourly to make sure I'm still here. I need to find a new daily now.

I want something versatile with good torque and can do unpaved roads, and 20+ mpg, reliable as my Toyota daily was. I know this is impossible, but maybe I'm missing something. I don't have any psychic guilt about diesel as I mostly ride everywhere. What I don't want is a 20 year old diesel with 200k miles on it that has a ton of blow by and gives me cancer through the firewall.

I am mainly a yota purist. The camp vehicle is a cherokee XJ but it's constantly in project mode and I can't keep driving it around running up the clock. I don't want to debate the diesel environmental positions people have so if you have a strong negative or positive opinion about it please refrain. The best option is certainly the 3.0 diesel discovery but it's fairly new and zero on the used market right now.

Last edited by Bruce K; 01-26-2019 at 03:45 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:20 PM
Administrator

you're looking for what type of vehicle?

as far as trucks go, unless you need the big motor for towing or REAL hauling, i wouldnt even bother with any diesels offered in NA at this point. too complicated for not enough benefit.

just buy a tacoma.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:24 PM
Administrator

by the way cinema, i'm glad to hear you are still here and obviously able to type. head on collisions sound scary as hell.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:27 PM

thanks angry. still pretty shook up. truck-ish but wagony i would consider as well. tacos are ok but underpowered relative to what i'm paying. i'd like a 4runner/GX/prado style vehicle without the mpg hit and diesel style torque. impossible i know. the problem with buying used 'reliable vehicles' like toyotas is once you get them the previous owner hasn't done jack **** to keep up with basic maintenance because 'it's a toyota lol'. that's why i don't like buying private party toyotas, they're a pain in the ass to work on and expensive. haven't made up my mind yet, just want something different. most previous owners are oblivious and lift them and do terrible jobs on them, here in california there's a cult of toyota people who couldn't remove an air box if you gave them an entire shop outfitted with snap on.

Last edited by cinema; 01-22-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:41 PM
Administrator

ahh, i missed the point that you want to go used. taco's are out then. people have such a high opinion of them that resale values are ridiculous.

for years my used trucks have been Grand Cherokees. They are cheap on the used market and pretty decent. if you're into decent torque, consider finding a clean hemi WK. the hemi is, what i would consider a pretty reliable engine if well maintained, good torque and overall power, and will get decent MPG if you keep your foot out of it, especially highway, the bigger V8 is unstressed at 70mph and can run pretty efficiently. obviously good offroad.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:12 PM

There are plenty. I've got a list I can make (update) for you shortly.

07-08 Grand Cherokee CRD (Mercedes motor, pre-DEF)
2014-2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel
2014-2016 VW Touareg
Up to 2016 Audi Q7
Audi Q5s

Edit:
Audi A6,7,8 sedans also came with the 3.0L TDI as an option, included AWD, and premium prestige (I think) packages had heated and cooled seats on the option list.
Porsche Cayenne came with the same diesel motor as the above mentioned VW/Audi vehicles.

I believe BMW offered theirs in the 5 series, and maybe even the X5.

Chevy/GMC have the Colorado and Canyon available with a diesel motor. I think there's a version the one of their SUVs as well (Traverse?).

Ford has the F150 with a diesel now too.

Dodge runs the Ecodiesel in the Grand Cherokee in the Ram 1500 as well.

/edit

Prices in the used car market vary a lot, I know the Jeep's were offered in limited, overland, and summit levels and either come with a few package options.. most commonly they also included adaptive cruise control and ride height adjustable suspension.

I drove a buddy's 2014 GC with the diesel motor and it pulls like a tractor even when trying to pass on the highway. I was definitely impressed.

It's still on my shortlist of vehicles to replace my Golf TDI, but the lady just picked up a '14 Jetta Sportwagen TDI.

Also, I'll echo what Nick said. Glad you are still with us; those sorts of incidents are never fun and bring an extra level of stress.

Feel free to PM if you want some more details on what all I've driven that's diesel powered and want to get into further specifics.

Last edited by hollowgram5; 01-22-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
There are plenty. I've got a list I can make (update) for you shortly.

07-08 Grand Cherokee CRD (Mercedes motor, pre-DEF)
2014-2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel
2014-2016 VW Touareg
Up to 2016 Audi Q7
Audi Q5s

Prices in the used car market vary a lot, I know the Jeep's were offered in limited, overland, and summit levels and either come with a few package options.. most commonly they also included adaptive cruise control and ride height adjustable suspension.

I drove a buddy's 2014 GC with the diesel motor and it pulls like a tractor even when trying to pass on the highway. I was definitely impressed.

It's still on my shortlist of vehicles to replace my Golf TDI, but the lady just picked up a '14 Jetta Sportwagen TDI.

Also, I'll echo what Nick said. Glad you are still with us; those sorts of incidents are never fun and bring an extra level of stress.

Feel free to PM if you want some more details on what all I've driven that's diesel powered and want to get into further specifics.

All of these have turbo's....none are NA
Old 01-22-2019, 02:36 PM

I'm on my second BMW x5 diesel. L O V E it. great torque and really good mileage.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:39 PM

My pal is a used car dealer/broker and part-owner of a used RV/trailer lot. He has been buying used GMC/Chevy V-8 suvs with 150,000 miles and driving them over 200,000 without spending much on maintenance/repairs. They are so cheap that 18mpg doesn't hurt much. The ones he gets here in SoCal still look very nice at 200,000 miles too with no rust.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCannonCam View Post
All of these have turbo's....none are NA
I would agree, I read the title as NA=North America rather than Naturally Aspirated.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowgram5 View Post
I would agree, I read the title as NA=North America rather than Naturally Aspirated.
Ah quite an easy mix up. Not to jack the thread but I have a Golf TDI as well. Love it to death, really don't love the industry wide DEF issues though...
Old 01-22-2019, 02:51 PM

BMW 328 sedan/wagon is out there with a diesel - just look for a 328d.

Tons of VW Golf and Sportwagen TDIs out there now with the 'fix.' Haven't driven one after the mod, but loved our TDI Golf before we sold it back.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:12 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
BMW 328 sedan/wagon is out there with a diesel - just look for a 328d.

Tons of VW Golf and Sportwagen TDIs out there now with the 'fix.' Haven't driven one after the mod, but loved our TDI Golf before we sold it back.
They make the X5 (maybe the X3?) in a diesel as well.

Ditto with the 5-series sedan

Personally? NA went the way of the dodo at the MB 240d. ...which was slower than molasses in Jan

M
Old 01-22-2019, 03:41 PM

Dodge ram Diesel 2019 - The standard-duty model is rated at 370 horsepower at 2800 rpm and 850 lb-ft at 1700 rpm; the high-output version clocks in at 400 horsepower and 1000 lb-ft at 1800 rpm.

Sorry couldn't resist - I have a 2005 with 250K plus and still looks and runs almost like new - around 18 MPG, but I can tow pretty much anything
Old 01-22-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfscott View Post
I'm on my second BMW x5 diesel. L O V E it. great torque and really good mileage.
+1. My wife has one (late 2016). Super reliable.