Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 05:19 PM

Change frame or New bike? (Looking for Northeast Gravel Rider feedback)

I joined the paceline forum as I had seen so many D2R2 posts here... So I'm hoping for some guidance from other Northeast gravel riders.

I have ridden my upgraded Nashbar CX1 in the 2018 Farmers Daughter Gravel Grinder and in 2018 100k D2R2. For 2019, I'm going to repeat Farmers Daughter and do the new route, 160K, D2R2.

The bike is a nine speed - sora shifters, then a SHUN crankset in which the small ring is a TA 33 tooth. The rear cassette is a 12-36 shimano and the rear mech is the nine speed deore mtn bike model. Everything else has been changed from stock as well - brakes are trp cx 8.4, I've got salsa cowbell bars, FSA SLK seatpost, a saddle that fits me, etc. (Its also my winter road bike run with 32mm gatorskins).

In short, my gravel bike is ever a work in progress with small upgrades and changes to make it more flexible and more forgiving of steep terrain. I invested a ton of time last summer into figuring out the TA 33mm ring and the 12-36/deore rear mech. I ride this bike a fair amount in the summer in the Catskills, mostly on dirt rail trails, and in Southern NH on a combination of local roads (dirt and paved - sometimes not well maintained dirt - and trail).

Last year at Farmer's Daughter, the conditions were rough and I felt the lack of a larger tire. I finished but it was tough. I was running Schwalbe CX Comp 38mm, which are great value tires, but I'd like to fit something wider with more knobs if needed. Wider doesn't fit in the nashbar frame all that well, specifically the rear triangle. I could probably push to a 40mm tire with small knobs but past that, it isn't going to have enough clearance for mud.

I'm weighing the following two options:

A) Buying a cross check frameset for about $500, to open up wider tire clearance and just moving all the other components. (Or trying to find a frameset/bike cheaper...)

B) Spending a lot more money and buying a used gravel bike with clearance for wider tires (probably a 650b wheelset) which would probably include disc brakes.

I'm cheap - I'm a teacher, I've got kids, I don't want to spend more than I need to. I'm not looking necessarily for someone to say "Choose A" or "Choose B." I'm looking for anyone to weigh in with pros/cons, suggestions of other framesets (other 700c/29in canti framesets that can take a 68mm english bottom bracket) besides older SOMA doublecross framesets (I know about that option already) or suggestions that I haven't thought of. A consideration is that a 9 speed bike with mini-v brakes is sort of limited and since I'm 35 years old and intend to keep biking, maybe spending money on a cross check frameset isn't a great investment over, say, a 5 year period. Good for one or two years, maybe not more. (Maybe I should pony up and buy a midnight special instead.)

In short - keep the current bike and deal with narrower tire limitations, swap to a surly cross check to open up more tire options, buy a new to me used gravel bike. What would you think about? Am I missing anything?

Thank you paceline forum friends!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190117_173942.jpg (116.1 KB, 342 views)
Old 01-17-2019, 05:45 PM

It is entirely up to you, but I'm sure a nice new gravel bike would be fun for the terrain you are riding and will likely improve the experience.

I live in the Northeast and have tried an abundance of different cx and gravel specific bikes and they are probably my favorite genre of bikes. What size bike are you currently riding and what kind of budget do you have? I have a nice Zanconato cx that'd I'd give you a good deal on if you could make it fit!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2019, 05:47 PM

Any time you ask “or new bike” the answer is always new bike-
Old 01-17-2019, 08:25 PM

That's a really clear and simple response.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
What size bike are you currently riding?
54, a medium usually - I'm 5'8", 31" inseam.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmortimer View Post
54, a medium usually - I'm 5'8", 31" inseam.
I have this one I'm looking to move along. I'd like to keep the wheelset and cassette, but I'd give you a good deal if it'll fit. I'm about the same size.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:31 PM

Keep the current bike. Maybe keep the existing 38mm tire width but get something with more aggressive tread for your dirt road adventures.

From the photo, they look more like road tires, so I could be mislead.

You've got the sizing and fit down, the gearing and comfortable seat check off the boxes; a bike that fits wider tires will be of limited use.

If that bike in the photo was well suited for D2R2 and overmatched for Farmer's Daughter, then it sounds like the latter was more akin to mountain biking than gravel riding. It also sounds like they suffered from wet conditions last year which would have created an exception for your bike.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:23 PM
'97 Ti Legend

If you can swing it, buy Hilltoppers Zanc. You will love it.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:56 AM
ZhugeLiang

i think i can relate.

I felt the same way with my Merlin cyclocross bike, being limited to how wide it can go (38mm is the widest), to the point that I even contemplate the silly idea of crimping the sides of the chainstay just to gain that extra few mm. In the end, I just went ahead and bought another gravel bike that can accommodate bigger tires.

going from the limitation of 35-38mm gravel tires to something like a gravel king sk 43 mm tires made a world of difference in my gravel riding. to some, that difference seems minor but to me, I thought i hit the sweet spot with that tire width range and it greatly enhances my experience and increases my confidence on the gravel.

Now having said that, Peter pal made some really good counter-points that you should consider before jump into buying another bike though.

Now to address this part:
Quote:
I'm cheap - I'm a teacher, I've got kids,
I am in similar situation so I can also relate. I don't know how good of a bargain hunter you are, sometimes it just means being in the right place at the right time. hill's zanc might just be the ticket as I know he will give you a really good deal. but make sure it checks all your boxes before you commit, primarily the tire width concern.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:59 AM

I'm pretty confident that zanc will be out if my budget! Especially with the wheels!

Farmers daughter last year was an epic mudfest. D2r2 was wet and sandy - not muddy.

The current tires are 32mm gatorakins but fir gravel I swap to 38mm scwalbe cx comp.

Thanks for these responses! It's helpful to read it her people's thoughts.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmortimer View Post
I'm pretty confident that zanc will be out if my budget! Especially with the wheels!

Farmers daughter last year was an epic mudfest. D2r2 was wet and sandy - not muddy.

The current tires are 32mm gatorakins but fir gravel I swap to 38mm scwalbe cx comp.

Thanks for these responses! It's helpful to read it her people's thoughts.
Hey, I'd be willing to do a paceline payment program for the bike sans wheels. I'm in the middle of New York state if you are close enough to check it out in person!

Old 01-18-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
If you can swing it, buy Hilltoppers Zanc. You will love it.

This would be my suggestion as well if it fits. Current owner is a great guy and frame comes from a fantastic custom builder. I think you would find this frame to be an upgrade relative to what you are currently rocking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Hey, I'd be willing to do a paceline payment program for the bike sans wheels. I'm in the middle of New York state if you are close enough to check it out in person!

I hope this free financing program doesn’t catch on or I’m FFFF’d . Awesome offer and bike.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:47 AM

I agree regarding Hilltoppers Zanc! If it fits, it would be a great long term investment that will need no upgrades for years & years. Smart buy!
Old 01-18-2019, 08:20 AM

Yeah, a cross check would net you a lot more tire clearance. I don’t think it’s a bad option since it sounds like all the other components are working for you. People here are going to push you to get something ‘nicer’ but cross checks are great TBH- forever frames if they work for your uses. Also I think there’s a New Albion canti Model that takes really big tired. Soma was blowing them out a while back, maybe some are still there.

I’d hold out for a used cross check though to save even more money. They are on eBay all the time.

Otherwise, I’d hold on to your bike since it’s mostly just fine and put a little away each month until you are able to buy something much newer with all the features.