Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2018, 06:35 AM
Pack fill

Big changes ahead

So today is the last day of my work life. As of 4:00 I am officially retired after 45 years of employment. I have worked for 3 different companies in that time with my longest tenure being 27 years and the shortest being just under 4. I look forward to the next chapter in my life. Having time available is going to be a big adjustment after averaging 50 hours a week for the last couple of decades. I already have some volunteer things lined up, driving the elderly, counseling men at the crisis pregnancy center, meals on wheels, etc... It seems like once word got out that I was retiring many people became my friend, like when you get a swimming pool or have a pick up truck.

Any advice for those who have already retired on pitfalls to avoid?
Old 12-20-2018, 06:46 AM
Administrator

congratulations johnny. that's a huge milestone.

i'm nowhere near retirement, but my advice, having seen some of this first hand - is don't over commit yourself and your time. after such a successful, dedicated career, you've earned some downtime, dont feel guilty for sleeping in, taking 2 hours to have breakfast and coffee and falling asleep for a few hours on the porch.

all the volunteer work you've got planned sounds great, but i have seen some pals who get sucked in and wind up with a second unpaid career when the momentum gets your name in the system, then you dont want to disappoint anyone and you wind up working again.

just a thought, enjoy yourself!

can you mention what line of work you were in? 27 years with one company is super impressive. i hope you had a blow-out retirement party!
Old 12-20-2018, 06:47 AM
Picshooter

Congratulations, welcome to the club. For me one of life's greatest gifts is the gift of time. Enjoy!
Old 12-20-2018, 06:50 AM
Older Than You

I retired at age 60 with almost 40 years with the same company. Rode my bike every day for the next 3 weeks....

After 3 weeks I decided I really need to be working somewhere. Been working part time ever since. I'm now 80 working at a bike shop.

The key is of course to keep moving. Too many people I used to work with have passed away. Most of them quit doing anything and put on a bunch of weight.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:51 AM

more...or less

ride more, garden more, read more, try to drink less.

Last edited by eddief; 12-20-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
I retired at age 60 with almost 40 years with the same company. Rode my bike every day for the next 3 weeks....

After 3 weeks I decided I really need to be working somewhere. Been working part time ever since. I'm now 80 working at a bike shop.

The key is of course to keep moving. Too many people I used to work with have passed away. Most of them quit doing anything and put on a bunch of weight.
This is what I was thinking....in about 5 years...Thanks for the affirmation!
Old 12-20-2018, 06:57 AM

Congratulations-
Old 12-20-2018, 06:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Well, for me(retired 5 years ago next month at age 62)..not having the go to work 'structure', I found I was busier than before BUT depends on you. My wife and I started nannying a new born and 2 year old(my grandkids), 3 days a week, each day started at 6:30 or so and we went home at 8pm...Days 'off' spent riding and for me, building wheels. What's nice, is if you aren't 'required' to be somewhere, you can do whatever you want..right now, with time off, I'm going to the range and binge watching stuff like 'Narcos(NetFlix)..

But stay active, both physically and mentally. All of us in our sixties, if we are lucky, only have a decade or 2 left on this earth..For ME, family is a big part of life today..2 son's, 2 grandkids, wife and daughter in law. I'm pretty much their home repair guy..I are a swamp cooler Zues!

oh, and watch yer $, make sure your heath care plan is set in stone...have some sort of plan when you can't live by yourself any longer.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:01 AM
Pack fill

can you mention what line of work you were in? 27 years with one company is super impressive.

I was the senior controls engineer for a OEM of hose reinforcing machinery. We exported about $30m worth of heavy machinery every year. Surprisingly the vast majority went to China, where I visited 9 times.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:03 AM

changes

Don't feel guilty about taking time for yourself. Like Angry said, don't over commit.
I hung up my career 2 years ago; 43 years in the same line of work with the last 20 at the same company.
Now I have a part time gig and hit the gym 5 mornings each week. I don't know how I ever found time to work 60 hour weeks for 40 years.
Stay active, eat right and don't over imbibe.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:11 AM

No advice here as I am far far away from any scenario like yours, but congrats and make the most of it!
Old 12-20-2018, 07:42 AM

Congratulations and may the future be filled with much peace and joy. I have seen a lot of folks retire. Some are quite content to live the free and easy lifestyle - play golf here and there, visit here and there - every day almost a blank slate. Others have plans - trips galore. Others stop working, take it easy for a few weeks and realize "this is not working for me." My suggestion - know yourself. What has brought you fulfillment through the years... My wife and I went to Florida a few years back for a week. She was content to be at the beach. She loved it! I loved it, too, for about 20 minutes. Mind you, from the cold of New England I was really looking forward to this. Then, 20 minutes was my limit. Enough.
We are all different and each of us ends up finding our own way. Be well.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post

Everyone is a little different, but something along these lines.

For me the key is....I'm doing it my way. If I find myself busier than I want to be, I just cut back, no boss to ask. I've stopped doing things that require me to get up at 4 AM, etc.

And like above says....make sure your health insurance is good. As active people on here, most of us are basically healthy.....but as we age, more and more small problems crop up that require medical attention.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:50 AM

You've just inspired me to play with the amortization schedule on my mortgage to see when the soonest is I could pay it off (after paying off my student loans...) It would be seriously helpful if I could execute what I've mapped out and pay it off when I'm 51...

But more importantly, congrats! Ride lots. Travel. Enjoy your family and your time!
Old 12-20-2018, 10:22 AM

Congrats. Please take a picture of your first retired sunrise and post on it here.

Thanks