Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Merckx
Yes! Which reminds me of what was bugging me about the otherwise fine set up on the EP that Angry posted. Not just that the bartape job wasn't great. but hey, if you're doing a Colnago in Molteni colors, the bar tape should be white, as Merckx I believe always had it
Old 12-07-2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galgal View Post
Yes! Which reminds me of what was bugging me about the otherwise fine set up on the EP that Angry posted. Not just that the bartape job wasn't great. but hey, if you're doing a Colnago in Molteni colors, the bar tape should be white, as Merckx I believe always had it
Old 12-07-2018, 04:18 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
So no, I don't consider a bike frame that hasn't been produced since before 2010 a contemporary frame.
If between 2010 and today no noticeable technologickal step forward can be perceived, it is.

btw: the Merckx in both versions pictured is suffering from overuse of colors, the second less so than the frst, but still.. why the non-matching orange striped tires?
Old 12-21-2018, 11:04 AM

For anyone with any interest, here's the upshot; I wound up with this relic:

Thanks to all for the very helpful input and suggestions. Alas many of them --the more "contemporary" and custom options especially-- were beyond my means. And at the end of the day, available resources aside, I wanted to keep cost to a minimum since this is primarily an exercise in curiosity-satisfying/itch-scratching.

This particular example looks extremely clean and sound, particularly for such an ancient, obsolete machine; described by seller: "Condition is 9.7/10. Almost flawless. Less than 100 miles on this...frameset." Based on reasonably good pictures, might even be true.

Anyway, I'll dig up some parts, build some wheels and come spring I'll hop aboard and experience first hand what a reasonably light carbon bike feels like, for good or ill. Looking forward to it.

Again, thanks for all here who helped with the project.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:09 PM

That looks terrific (double-pun fully intended).

Even owning a more recent carbon bike, I'm still curious about trying a 585. They're definitely a "modern" cult classic.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:01 PM

Nice, i liked my time, but it didn't fit perfectly. Look geo is better for me personally and this is supposedly one of the all time great frames. Enjoy!