Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2018, 12:17 PM

the spin gato looks sehr sharp, like a german parlee Z1. maybe even nicer to my eye, since it has beefier chainstays than the Z1. but 3 sizes only? that's ludicrous for something costing $5-large!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
Looks great but only 3 sizes, and im smack between 53 and 56. thats weird. i have to assume custom is an option too.
looks like pricing starts at $5200 USD on the gato. So similar money to Crumpton.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:50 PM

More 585 love here. I acquired a basically new 585 Origin a couple years ago and was amazed at how much it felt like a good steel bike. At the time I owned both a Columbus PegoRichie tubed steel bike steel bike and a carbon McWunderbike. I still get a bit jealous when I lift my wife's 14 lbs S-Works but the ride of the 585 is tough to beat.

My biggest compliant about the 585 is that most of them look like logo farms. I think there were something 20 "LOOK" logos plastered all over mine before the repaint.

I'm surprised there isn't much talk about the Time VXR/VXRS. French. Lugged. Carbon. Like the 585 it's classique. Maybe there just aren't as many copies of the Time frames floating around.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delish View Post

I'm surprised there isn't much talk about the Time VXR/VXRS. French. Lugged. Carbon. Like the 585 it's classique. Maybe there just aren't as many copies of the Time frames floating around.
I think you're probably right that it's a matter of there not being many out there. I'd eliminated vxrs due to its isp and numerous reports of BB corrosion, but VXR - which for some inexplicable (to me) reason doesn't seem to share the corrosion problem (?) is on the list.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:59 PM

I wouldn't call it modern, but an older Trek Madone or 5200/5900 ('03-07 era, just don't get the silly shark fin model) will get you all the features you're talking about. It's still a good ride, light, crazy cheap these days, and made in the USA. I've seen some cross sections and the carbon is pretty high quality.

It has threaded BB, external 1-1/8 headset, 27.2 seatpost, external cable routing, standard brakes, round tubes, horizontal top tube-- basically just "a bike" made out of carbon. Other than the headset, you can probably just transfer everything over from any old steel bike and go for a ride.

Edit to add a pic of this refinished 5200. Almost has me contemplating a winter project to refinish mine, but I know I would regret it a few hours into scraping.

Last edited by mt2u77; 12-05-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:09 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Have to plug the one carbon bike I've got - Hampsten squadra. You'd have to talk to Steve re bottom bracket though.

As to why carbon and why not metal, well I agree that with "why not?" I'll also say that I've been loving on and gushing about metal bikes all fall - way oversized titanium pipes (Spectrum), skinny tubed steel (Sachs), slightly OS steel (Kirk & 333Fab) but yesterday, since it was dry and I wanted a gut check on my love affair with metal, I took the Hampsten carbon bike out and I gotta say, for a straight up road bike, this one is, ATMO, the equal if not better than any metal bike I have, including the Peg Marcelo and the Sachs.

It's a little lighter (for what that's worth), lively - not the same vibe as the Sachs "steel is real" vibe but still lively, smooth - seems to take the edge off a bit even with stiff wheels, plenty stiff - not quite the explosive feeling of direct power to the rear wheel as the Peg or the Kirk cross but not much behind, and built to my dimensions and desires. And Steve builds somewhat like Ernesto - its not uber light; it's intended to be uber durable and as good a bike in ten years as it is today.

Finally, and important to note that my average speed on the road over the past year, regardless of bike and terrain, is not significantly different. With bikes of this quality it's clearly the rider's fitness and motivation, not the bike that's determinative.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:16 PM

Did the OP ever consider just going to a few nice LBS shops and test ride what's on offer before buying something based on second-hand info or internets garbage? Even a new carbon model with 105 or Force is going to be an eye-opener compared with a metal frame IMO. And is a much cheaper than buying something new or used, building it up and riding it- so many variables that the frame by itself cannot really be assessed. Drop your assumptions, go for a bigger sample size--- because, science! Then buy the red one that doesn't have a creaky BB.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:16 PM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallymann View Post
the spin gato looks sehr sharp, like a german parlee Z1. maybe even nicer to my eye, since it has beefier chainstays than the Z1. but 3 sizes only? that's ludicrous for something costing $5-large!
They have a custom option which not only allows your own frame dimensions, but also the stiffness of each tube and joint according to your wishes/needs. Spin is a "spin-off" of the "Fraunhofer" university project frame that made it into some magazines around the early 2000s with its 800g tag when a Trek OCLV at 1200g was considered to be the cuttingest edge ever.

Zabel rode one on his way to olympic gold in sidney, if that kind of thing rings your bell. I'd take one over any Parlee any time, and compared to '18 top models 8500$€ price tag, they are a bargain. When weight weeniism was at its peak, i think about 7/10 on the list of the worlds lightest rideable bike were built based on this.

Last edited by martl; 12-05-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:34 PM
v a n i l l a

Carbon is the preferred material of choice because it can build lighter than metal and can be shaped to the designer's wishes.

That said, not all carbon is the same. there are carbon bikes that ride terribly. there are carbon bikes that ride superbly.

I had an ottrott and parlee Z3c simultaneously. despite the ottrott love on this board, I was indifferent between the rides (did the 100/9,500 levi's ride once on each) and kept the parlee since it built a pound lighter.

I had a chance to get a moots CR, and sold the parlee to do so. the moots does not snap when accelerating like the parlee, but it is a nice comfortable albeit slightly heavier ride (older 1100g parlee).

I'll eventually sell the CR and get another carbon, making the move to electric and disc at the same time.

These are all really nice bikes.

If you want an older carbon frame with a threaded bottom bracket the mid-2000's Parlee Z1/2/3 is your answer. Like John said a few pages back, the only thing you will be giving up is probably 200g in frame weight and tire clearance. Parlee has not changed the ride characteristic design goal, so the old ones ride like today's new ones, which is a word is GREAT.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:32 PM

How about a Crumpton? Custom carbon, round tubes, etc.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:35 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_vt View Post
How about a Crumpton? Custom carbon, round tubes, etc.
i don't know how this isn't the right answer. nicrump will build you whatever you want. and it'll be fantastic.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:40 PM
needs adult supervision

See post #16.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:53 PM
tailgunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
See post #16.
lol it's my grail bike. i have steel and ti covered, but i want to scratch the custom carbon itch.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:59 PM

wow, that looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
I wouldn't call it modern, but an older Trek Madone or 5200/5900 ('03-07 era, just don't get the silly shark fin model) will get you all the features you're talking about. It's still a good ride, light, crazy cheap these days, and made in the USA. I've seen some cross sections and the carbon is pretty high quality.

It has threaded BB, external 1-1/8 headset, 27.2 seatpost, external cable routing, standard brakes, round tubes, horizontal top tube-- basically just "a bike" made out of carbon. Other than the headset, you can probably just transfer everything over from any old steel bike and go for a ride.

Edit to add a pic of this refinished 5200. Almost has me contemplating a winter project to refinish mine, but I know I would regret it a few hours into scraping.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:09 PM

This whole thread is a bit odd to me. If you want a modern frame, why are you looking at frames up to 15 years old. Some of the frames mentioned here are relics, and still very nice. But why not look at the best of current day carbon has to offer?
Old 12-05-2018, 05:31 PM

That repainted Trek is so slick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
This whole thread is a bit odd to me. If you want a modern frame, why are you looking at frames up to 15 years old. Some of the frames mentioned here are relics, and still very nice. But why not look at the best of current day carbon has to offer?
...because the OP doesn't want "press-fit BBs, ISPs, one-piece stem/bar assemblies, proprietary parts, internal cable routing, etc." and almost every new carbon frame on the market has those features?