Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2018, 08:23 AM
needs adult supervision

It's probably on your list already but Serotta's carbon frames would fulfill your requirements, I think.

A challenge for older frames, though, might be tire width clearance. Would you like to run wider tires?

It might be out of your price range (sadly, it is out of mine right now) but someone like Nick Crumpton could probably give you the best of both worlds. Truly contemporary carbon lay-ups and fabrication but without some of the other 'improvements'. Landshark is another option.

I wrestle with this choice, too. I prefer many of the design parameters of older carbon frames but I'd also like some state-of-the-art features of carbon built today.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:26 AM

Gaulzetti Aerotack uses thread bottom brackets, standard headset and can be built with your choice of disc or direct mount rim brakes. Cabling may need to be internal, but I'm not sure of that.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:27 AM

I would think that the Colnago c40/50/extreme c would be at the head of the list. You could add the DeRosa King but would have to make an exception for an integrated headset, but it is a standard Campagnolo so no real issue. As long as you are making that exception, you could include the Time VXR...There really would be no need to go further. Beyond these bikes the only other advancements that I can think of that you have not mentioned is the proliferation of uber-oversized tubes which generally create unforgivably stiff bikes with a crappy ride (see also the related topic-increasingly wide clinchers for the road)
Old 12-05-2018, 08:56 AM

I would seek out a Kestrel 200SCi (or SC) or 200EMS. They are excellent carbon bikes that are quite durable and lack contemporary features that some find problematic.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:58 AM

Colnago AC-R is fairly contemporary (2012-2015 or so) and ticks nearly every box. It's also quite cheap for a Colnago. I got mine deadstock for $1250USD brand new (105 and el cheapo cranks).

Regular seatpost
Regular headset
English threading
Brakes cabled externally

I've had mine for almost 4 years. Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by doubleklobbs; 12-05-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:03 AM
ZhugeLiang

Noting your considerations and past experience with classic steel, I can heartily recommend and agree with what you already have in your short list, having ridden both.

LOOK 585
Colnago C40/C50

What you will find from these two is not so much a ground-breaking difference but rather a pleasant surprise of the fact that they feel so much like the very best steel bike you have ridden, except a bit more refined, "quieter", perhaps lighter...and that will give you an appreciation and respect for carbon as a material for building bikes.

This would be a good starting point for you if you so choose to venture deeper into the newer carbon bikes later on.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:05 AM

Parleeā€™s Z1-Z3: there are a few on eBay right now with external routing, threaded BBs and standard 1 1/8 headsets.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:06 AM

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravdg316 View Post
parleeā€™s z1-z3: There are a few on ebay right now with external routing, threaded bbs and standard 1 1/8 headsets.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:07 AM
Member?

Calfee
Old 12-05-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vientomas View Post
Calfee
This.

Tetra classic still comes threaded and whatever options you want for brakes, routing, eylets etc.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:36 AM

I cannot make any recommendations for frames, but I will throw out a word of caution. You probably already know all of this, but I will throw it out anyway. I've bought and sold my share of metal frames over the years, but I would never consider buying a used carbon frame. Carbon frames do not have infinite lifespans, and you do no know how it was treated by the previous owner or owners. There could be a catastrophic failure waiting to happen that cannot be detected by just looking at it. Maybe because I'm coming from more of a mountain bike background I'm being overly cautious, but buying a 10 to 15 year old used carbon frame just scares me!

NOS from few years ago would obviously be fine, or just see how many of those features you can find on a current frame. Also, as mentioned, tire clearance will be poor on those older frames if it matters to you. Maybe look into a nice used titanium frame instead as an 'upgrade'?
Old 12-05-2018, 10:14 AM

Parlee?

Older Parlee? Really the only thing you give up with a bike like this is tire clearance. (If you care about that).
Old 12-05-2018, 10:23 AM

Cyfac and Sarto?? Expensive, but lots of options with regard to BB, etc.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:29 AM

Pinarello. Not going to get the external cable routing though.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Get a Spin Intro or a Gato.

Around since ~2004
Standard headset
standard BB
standard seatpost
external routing
750g at 90Nm/Ā° (Adjusteable if you order custom)

*No* 2019' frame does a single thing better.

Looks great but only 3 sizes, and im smack between 53 and 56. thats weird. i have to assume custom is an option too.
looks like pricing starts at $5200 USD on the gato. So similar money to Crumpton.