Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2018, 07:35 AM

Contemporary frames without contemporary "improvements"

As mentioned in another post or two, after a lifetime of riding classic steel frames, I'd like to dip a toe into the twenty-first century, out of curiosity if nothing else. Carbon specifically.

However, I'd like to avoid such modern "advances" as press-fit BBs, ISPs, one-piece stem/bar assemblies, proprietary parts, internal cable routing, etc.

I thought it would be interesting and perhaps helpful to other moss-backs like me to put together a list (seems as though it might be a very short list) of frames made from, say 2000-present that eschew such features.

Please do me the courtesy of assuming that I've read extensively on the subject and am not looking for an argument along the lines of "ISPs are great and you can always cut them down to the top tube and substitute a conventional seatpost" or "Press-fit bottom brackets work fine as long as you use loc-tite" or "The aerodynamic benefits of internal cable routing are indisputable".

Or just assume I'm an incorrigible idiot; all the same to me, as long as the thread doesn't degenerate into such pointless wrangling.

Anybody care to contribute?

Last edited by Cloozoe; 12-05-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Innumeracy
Old 12-05-2018, 07:42 AM

Look 585 has an internal headset and it's good to have the original, but if you do have it they don't wear out. Otherwise it's a normal bike with a threaded BB shell and external cable routing. Takes a standard 27.2 seat post.

Colnago frames like the C50 and EPS are the same, except they even take normal headsets.

Check out those two brands.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:44 AM

If your timeline goes as far back as 15 years, you won’t have any problem finding frames to meet your criteria. My “modern fancy bike” is a 2009 Colnago EPS and the only concession I had to make was its bottom bracket is English threaded instead of Italian.

When I got this I was shopping for a good deal on a C59 and those were made with threaded B.B. shells, caliper brake mounts, etc. You just have to pay close attention if you’re buying online to make sure you get all the features you need.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:47 AM

Other than significantly narrowing your choices, what benefits do you seek by NOT using things like internal routing and PF bbs? Might limit you to a 15yo frame/fork, which doesn't give you the full scope of improvements in the material construction and advances in make up. I had a Cannondale supersix evo, with external cabling (other than back brake) and an aftermarket wheels mfg shimano bb (never squeaked/complained for years) that was a great bike. Currently on a canyon ultimate, which has disc brakes (my choice), full internal routing, etc which is even better.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Are you talking about production frames or custom?

I agree, there are precious few road bikes you can buy right now that have a threaded BB, rim brakes and external mechanical routing.

i'm struggling to think of one current model production carbon bike that fits those criteria. i have two carbon bikes with all of those features, but they have changed for the current production.

let me think about this more, there must be something out there...
Old 12-05-2018, 07:49 AM
Strong Walker

Get a Spin Intro or a Gato.

Around since ~2004
Standard headset
standard BB
standard seatpost
external routing
750g at 90Nm/° (Adjusteable if you order custom)

*No* 2019' frame does a single thing better.

Last edited by martl; 12-05-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:49 AM
That guy..

I think something like a C40 or a Cervelo R2.5 would be nice.
I believe they would offer a glimpse of the "future" without going all out.

You'll retain the classic options youre looking for with a bit of tech.

No fancy press fit. No fancy proprietary parts (minus c40 seat post?).
Old 12-05-2018, 07:51 AM

"Please do me the courtesy of assuming that I've read extensively on the subject"

So, who is on your extensively researched list? Might help to post it first so others could just add to it. Assuming you are searching for frames you may have overlooked.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
Other than significantly narrowing your choices, what benefits do you seek by NOT using things like internal routing and PF bbs? Might limit you to a 15yo frame/fork, which doesn't give you the full scope of improvements in the material construction and advances in make up. I had a Cannondale supersix evo, with external cabling (other than back brake) and an aftermarket wheels mfg shimano bb (never squeaked/complained for years) that was a great bike. Currently on a canyon ultimate, which has disc brakes (my choice), full internal routing, etc which is even better.
Don't mean to be rude, but per my original post:

Please do me the courtesy of assuming that I've read extensively on the subject and am not looking for an argument along the lines of "ISPs are great and you can always cut them down to the top tube and substitute a conventional seat tube" or "Press-fit bottom brackets work fine as long as you use loc-tite" or "The aerodynamic benefits of internal cable routing are indisputable".

Suffice it to say, I have my reasons which I won't belabor here.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloozoe View Post
Don't mean to be rude, but per my original post:

no worries, just curious..
Old 12-05-2018, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:

for what it's worth - i am with you 100%. i have been considering your exact same question a lot. i'm going to do a little more digging since i'm curious too what is being made right now with the classic features.

upon first glance, it seems there are a bunch of production carbon bikes with every feature you are after except external routing, that's the tough one to find.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
"Please do me the courtesy of assuming that I've read extensively on the subject"

So, who is on your extensively researched list? Might help to post it first so others could just add to it. Assuming you are searching for frames you may have overlooked.
The extensive research referred to was on the benefits/deficits of the aforementioned features, which have been argued endlessly in the cycling press and on-line fora such as this one. What my extensive research did not turn up was many bikes that meet my criteria, hence the post.

Bikes that have turned up are those mentioned above by others, i.e. Colnago and Look 585, which are on my short list. Indeed, thus far, my entire list. Wondering if there were others.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
The extensive research referred to was on the benefits/deficits of the aforementioned features, which have been argued endlessly in the cycling press and on-line fora such as this one. What my extensive research did not turn up was many bikes that meet my criteria, hence the post.

Bikes that have turned up are those mentioned above by others, i.e. Colnago and Look 585, which are on my short list. Indeed, thus far, my entire list. Wondering if there were others.
I see, I thought you were just looking for addendums
Old 12-05-2018, 08:09 AM
Registered (ab)User

Not sure if this is still available, but when my wife & I bought Cannondale Synapses 12 years ago there was an adapter available to convert its proto-BB30 to a threaded bottom bracket. I kept the stock BB but my wife got one of those adapters on hers. Both bikes are still going strong, and don't show any signs of becoming anachronisms any time soon. Other than that an older carbon Synapse ticks all OP's boxes, and can probably be had for stupid cheap money.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Get a Spin Intro or a Gato.
Wasn't familiar with either of these, thanks. And thanks to everyone else who took the time to respond.

As an amusing (well, to me, anyway, but I'm easily amused) side note, I recently posted the following which came to mind when I googled "Spin Intro bike"

...searching for a Colnago or Cervelo or Pinarello or Moots is a piece of cake. But try entering "Look" or "Time" or "22". Anybody else ever notice what a pain in the ass that is?...

Last edited by Cloozoe; 12-05-2018 at 08:21 AM.