Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2018, 12:12 PM

OT: Dodgers vs. Red Sox

Should be a good series. I think the Red Sox are the better team, but we'll see how well Sale pitches tonight, and Price tomorrow.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:17 PM

I've been keeping an eye out somewhat and surprised this is (as far as I can tell) the first MLB post season thread. I've watched it all to this point but, honestly, I'm not very interested in a Dodgers/Red Sox matchup. I'm an NL guy and was rooting for a Rockies/A's WS once the postseason commenced (that hope died quickly). I was hoping the Brewers would come away with an NL pennant, but it wasn't the case. I don't care for the way Puig and Machado play so I'm really not enthused about the WS. But, I'll likely watch most, if not all, games.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:35 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I've been keeping an eye out somewhat and surprised this is (as far as I can tell) the first MLB post season thread. I've watched it all to this point but, honestly, I'm not very interested in a Dodgers/Red Sox matchup. I'm an NL guy and was rooting for a Rockies/A's WS once the postseason commenced (that hope died quickly). I was hoping the Brewers would come away with an NL pennant, but it wasn't the case. I don't care for the way Puig and Machado play so I'm really not enthused about the WS. But, I'll likely watch most, if not all, games.
Would have been cool to see the Brewers win. In this day and age of pro sports, you have to root for the small market teams. Odds are stacked against them. On the other hand, I love the red sox outfield. Wonder how good Betts would be if you dropped him in the same time period at Ted Williams.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:44 PM

The two most exciting, explosive, and entertaining teams made it to the Series. We've been blessed with a string of great matchups over the last few seasons, besides that '15 Series when my Royals finally ended their pitiful streak by crushing the Mets.

I'm going for the Dodgers - too many lovable characters to resist, and I hope they can finally get Kershaw one before his time in LA comes to an end. Ultimately, I'm afraid Dave Roberts will overmanage like against the 'stros, though.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:56 PM

Grew up as a Dodgers fan watching Koufax And Drysdale. Now root for the Rockies but struggle when they are against the Dodgers. By freak chance, got to see Puig play early in his career with the Dodgers.

I'll be rooting for them!
Old 10-23-2018, 01:11 PM

I'm a Giants fan which makes the Dodgers "The Hated Ones"

I cant help but root for them though. I really hate the Sox just as much, tbh. I hate the American League with just a couple of exceptions. Really, I am just swelling with hate.

I have a lot of Dodgers fans as friends, living here and all that, and the Giants have three rings going back to 2010 and are in for a tough, full rebuild after this years attempt at marginal mediocrity...so whatever...Dodgers...sure, why not...
Old 10-23-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingminimal View Post
I cant help but root for them though. I really hate the Sox just as much, tbh. I hate the American League with just a couple of exceptions. Really, I am just swelling with hate.
This is me.

I'm under 40 and I want to see old school small ball. It's not a big demographic.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
This is me.

I'm under 40 and I want to see old school small ball. It's not a big demographic.
Sadly, I don't think there will ever be another Whitey Herzog.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
I mean, the Royals went to two consecutive World Series this decade, a run away from winning both of them, with essentially no power. Literally 95 homers as a team in 2014. It's crazy how fast offense across the league has abandoned that approach, but as the power pitching and situational defensive alignments continue to develop, we may see the trend swing back towards finding more consistent strategies to putting the ball in play.

The change the Dodgers made in their plate approach in game 7 of the NLCS from going for power 100% of the time to moving runners over is the only reason they advanced.

Last edited by jtbadge; 10-23-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Truth. Those were great years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
The change the Dodgers made in their plate approach in game 7 of the NLCS from going for power 100% of the time to moving runners over is the only reason they advanced.
Indeed, and it made that game a lot of fun to watch despite me rooting for the other team.

Quote:
I mean, the Royals went to two consecutive World Series this decade, a run away from winning both of them, with essentially no power. Literally 95 homers as a team in 2014. It's crazy how fast offense across the league has abandoned that approach, but as the power pitching and situational defensive alignments continue to develop, we may see the trend swing back towards finding more consistent strategies to putting the ball in play.
I hope so. And advancing those runners. I'd love to see a modern player in the vein of Ricky Henderson or Vince Coleman.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 10-23-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:31 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Sox in 5, you heard it here first.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:

That's how the Giants won their pennants in 2010, 2012 and 2014, pitching and defense.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:47 PM
#RYFB

Quote:

I think you must mean game 5 since all their runs in game 7 came on home runs.

I'm a big Dodger fan and will be pulling for them with hopeful optimism, but the Sox are a very well rounded team. I used to like them but after 2004 they went from lovable losers to obnoxious (though not as bad as the Pats).

Anyone else notice how the unbearable NLCS announcers wouldn't shut up about the Brewers' bullpen when in fact the Dodgers' pen outperformed them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
I think you must mean game 5 since all their runs in game 7 came on home runs.

I'm a big Dodger fan and will be pulling for them with hopeful optimism, but the Sox are a very well rounded team. I used to like them but after 2004 they went from lovable losers to obnoxious (though not as bad as the Pats).

Anyone else notice how the unbearable NLCS announcers wouldn't shut up about the Brewers' bullpen when in fact the Dodgers' pen outperformed them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Game 5 is what I meant.

Joe Buck has been driving people up the wall for years, his endless fixations on storylines and superstars is so grating.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:03 PM

anyone but LA...............