Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2018, 05:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
+1 That looks like exactly what's needed and nothing more. My only concern is, who the hell is "Sprout"?
PS Audio
https://www.psaudio.com

I've been checking out the "Ask Paul" section lately...
https://www.psaudio.com/ask-paul/

William
Old 10-29-2018, 08:50 AM

The ps audio vids on YouTube are really great. And the "ask Paul" section of their website is very informative.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
The ps audio vids on YouTube are really great. And the "ask Paul" section of their website is very informative.
I agree, I just happened across the YT channel and it led me to their web page. Lots of good info there imo.

William
Old 10-30-2018, 06:07 AM
Grey Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc53 View Post
I've just gotta say, as a woman, that William's wife is never going to approve Klipsch speakers anywhere in the common living areas of the house. If he wants to set up his vintage system in the garage or out in one of his barns, that's another story.
Not to make assumptions about Mrs. William or about you, but I'm sure you're right about Klipschorns, the corner horns. They stand nearly 5 feet tall, each fill a corner of a room "bigly," and need free wall space either side of the big box. Then there's this massive panel of gorgeous finished wood in the front, which grabs all the visual attention. Heresy is a much smaller speaker, but still at least 10 times the size of say, an LS3/5a on stands with a small subwoofer.

I use Thiel CS2.2, one pair in the media room and one pair in my office, which are about 36" tall and about 13" square. But they need loads of power. Klipschorns and Heresy only need very small amounts of power. Back in the day, Paul Klipsch was quoted something like "what this country needs is a good 5 watt amplifier!" That wouldn't get more than a distorted whisper out of my Thiels or an LS3/5a. So there's a trade-off.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:06 AM

McCormack ALD-1...tweaked, signed, and topless? Downstream is predictable...DNA-1 and Vandersteens. Phono board tucked away but in hand.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:08 PM

A few years ago I auditioned a pair of Heresy III speakers for my bedroom system. I decided to stick with my ADS. These were in good shape but the serial numbers were inked over. I have seen a couple of other Klipsch speakers where this was done. At first I thought they might be stolen but then I guessed it might be due to some Klipsch retailers selling for less than Klipsch minimum prices. Any thoughts?
Old 10-30-2018, 12:23 PM

Just seeing this thread...

Wow, some really nice stuff listed, including a bunch I either owned or coveted.

Recently sold a pair of ADS L-810 for 50% more than I paid for them used.
Kept a pair of ADS L-700II which I've had since 1979...

Enjoy.
Tim
Old 10-30-2018, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Question on modern audio...

Seems sparse for hookups for an integrated amp, but I may just be looking at this from a vintage gear perspective. But maybe it's just because they wanted it to be minimal?

William
I've got a tiny system using this PS Audio amp--the Sprout100--with very small Silverline Audio Minuet monitors and a teensy 10" REL sub. It can play vinyl or CDs or stream from the web or your laptop or phone. It sounds amazing given how tiny it all is! Would be perfect for one of those tiny houses.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Luckily Mrs William is down with it...though she has commented that it's starting to look like a Radio Shack in the house.

The guy I mentioned has a bunch of tube units as well. Maybe I'll get there, but for now that Marantz as well as the HK and a Luxman is really bringing back the warm dynamic sound I remember during the audio Zenith. Sounds so much better than anything I've heard in years.

William
Which Luxman pieces
Old 10-31-2018, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
A few years ago I auditioned a pair of Heresy III speakers for my bedroom system. I decided to stick with my ADS. These were in good shape but the serial numbers were inked over. I have seen a couple of other Klipsch speakers where this was done. At first I thought they might be stolen but then I guessed it might be due to some Klipsch retailers selling for less than Klipsch minimum prices. Any thoughts?

I'm a Klipsch fanboy, and posted your question over on the Klipsch Forum.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web1111a View Post
Which Luxman pieces
Only the T-400 so far, and I do like . I've been keeping my eye open for a Luxman amp but so far No-Go.

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lux.jpg (59.7 KB, 80 views)
Old 10-31-2018, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc53 View Post
I've got a tiny system using this PS Audio amp--the Sprout100--with very small Silverline Audio Minuet monitors and a teensy 10" REL sub. It can play vinyl or CDs or stream from the web or your laptop or phone. It sounds amazing given how tiny it all is! Would be perfect for one of those tiny houses.
Yes, but Mr's William would allow the big Klipsch...before she would allow the tiny house.

William

Last edited by William; 10-31-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:08 PM

I stumbled across a hipster bike shop yesterday in Zurich called Velonauta.
By the counter was the stereo system: a Marantz 4400 quad receiver, a Revox reel-to-reel (haven’t seen one of those for 30 years), and what appeared to be vintage Pioneer speakers.
Odd find in 2018.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plum Hill View Post
I stumbled across a hipster bike shop ...Odd find in 2018.
Many years ago there was a successful local bike shop owned by a guy who also had a history in the DJ biz.

The shop system had at least one pair of Bose 901's. While I'm not a fan of them, I always liked the concept and the sound.

In this shop the sound was beautiful. Wide, spacious, yet not so loud that they distracted from your shopping experience; you almost couldn't tell where it was coming from even though you could see the speakers hanging from the 8' ceiling. I think the owner knew how to properly set them up.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:18 PM

I'll chime in briefly! I don't have a ton of vintage gear, but I'm always (for obvious reasons) after the most true sound.

I love my custom Statement Monitor Builds with a Parasound Amp.

I also have a 70s vintage Technics (my first amp!) pair with huge JBL 2 ways L40s I believe? Awesome for spinning vinyl.

I also love my Yamaha NS10s with a clean Dayton Amp.

Finally, I have an Avia Trix 5.1 setup in our living room. Killer floor standing LR...

Checkout: Speaker Design Works for plans...