Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-23-2018, 12:21 PM

So froze used to work at freezing people who will be thawed out in a few hundred years to cure what ails them. Hmmmm.....

I am an older person so I look old and no need for a photo. I ride about 5000 miles per year with a large group of other old people and kick ass on most of them and some younger dudes as well. I have 1 carbon bike; Cervelo R3 that gets the least saddle time and 5 steel bikes one of which is a Ritchey Road Logic that I recently got from Mick. Installed a 9100 group on it with my own hands with wheels that I built and that thing is really sweet. Got a Tommasini Tecno Xtra, 2 steel Serottas and a fixed gear which I ride about 4 times per year. It's hard for my old person brain to remember about not coasting but I do run a 52 x 17 on it.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:09 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Can we PLEASE just get this thread back on track?

If you don’t want to share then don’t post here!!

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:21 PM
Administrator

As Bruce noted above, if you want to share as others have on this thread please do so, if you don't that is fine, just move along.

There were some good responses relating to the derailing of the topic of this thread by a certain member, but going forward please keep it on topic if you are going to share. If you want to talk about why you don't want to share then start another thread about yourself in the GD area.

William
Old 02-05-2019, 05:53 PM

* where do you live? Bakersfield, CA
* explanation of your handle: William Murderface from Metalocalypse
* explanation of your avatar: What avatar?
* favorite bike: Wabi Classic
* what's in your stable? '85 Bianchi Vittoria, '92 Cannondale R900, '17 Trek DS3, '17 Wabi Classic fixed gear
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 35moh maybe... Downhill for sure
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 500 on the road bike, 1000+ fixed gear
* picture of yourself or your ride? Maybe
* How did you find the paceline Forum? Google
Old 02-10-2019, 02:02 PM

* real name, if you like Ramon or Mon
* where do you live? Philippines
* explanation of your handle A callsign I use when playing games
* explanation of your avatar Thats just my photo
* age (general or specific) 39
* occupation Language trainer
* favorite bike Im new so I have yet to decide
* what's in your stable? Not sure what its called. I have photos.
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? Never rode yet
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? none
* picture of yourself or your ride? Don't really have one.
* make up and answer at least one additional question.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I'm not a newbie and I am the all knowing when it comes to cycling
* and, something fun. maybe later
* How did you find the paceline Forum?* Just searched on tapatalk

Lastly, I need help. I want to start biking/cycling. The bike I have at home is the onemy fiance’s father bought but slightly used. It hasn’t been used for years. I have some photos. I need to know what to do to start riding. I have some bike shops close to home where I can get it checked. Other than that, being the newbie that I am, I have no idea what the brand of the bike is and what else I need to get started. Hope you guys can help. Here are the photos. Please let me know if you need more coz i have no idea what parts of the bike i need to show you. Its the grey one in front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-08-2019, 03:45 PM

* real name, if you like: Ryan
* where do you live? Little Rock, Arkansas
* explanation of your handle: 1988 Toyota Celica Alltrac chassis designation (my first car)
* explanation of your avatar:
* age (general or specific): 41
* favorite bike: Lusting after a Columbus tubed Specialized Allez, the blue one, in 54cm, please, pretty please
* what's in your stable? Marin Indian Fire train 29, Trek 1000SL
* fastest speed on a road bike? maybe 10mph in a grocery store parking lot. Just picked up the old trek to assist with my MTB racing/training
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? maybe 100 or so counting gravel/road/paved trails on my MTB
* picture of yourself or your ride?
* make up and answer at least one additional question.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told: I'm not cheap
* How did you find the paceline Forum? google, looking for bicycle classifieds.

I've been on a bike ever since I can remember. I raced BMX and rode MTB in the mid-late 90s. All of that took a back seat to working, life, and a couple of back to back bike related concussions. Got back on a MTB a few years ago and really started cranking out the XC MTB mileage and training about this time last year. Yesterday, I finally picked up my first road bike. I bought a used Trek 1000SL. Not pretty, fancy, or even cool, but it was in my extremely limited budget for a road bike.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:40 PM

Older legs, new to Paceline

I live in south-coastal Delaware, near Bethany Beach, and have lived in this area since 1976. I just entered my 69th year in this life. One of my fondest childhood memories is the first time I was able to get on a bicycle and get started pedaling with no assists, 4 or 5 at the time. I bought my first 10 speed road bike in 1971, a Motobecane. I am single, divorced, with no children. I am still employed, school bus driver in my eight year, and was in the bar/restaurant business for close to 25 years. The bus is a good fit for now as I have a lot of free midday time.

I love to bicycle and in the last 4 years, including 2019, I have put in more miles each year than at any other time, with the most in 2017 at 6,000 miles. I am not keeping track this year, but believe I am on a pace to top that. Also, in the last couple of years I have purchased tools and have been learning how to do the maintenance/mechanics on my bikes myself. That is a big deal for me as I am definitely mechanically challenged. I have learned a lot and made much progress, and have a lot more to learn. I could really use much more patience.

I currently have 5 bikes and 1 frame, all road type bikes. I have a 2006 aluminum Schwinn Super Sport DBX, early 90's Ochsner steel, 2004 or 5 Airborne Zeppelin titanium, and an Orbea Avant CF. The Ochsner I purchased new in 1992 as a B'day present to myself. I rebuilt this bike in February to May of this year. The frame, a '89 Fuji Ace was given to me and is my project for this coming winter. I acquired a too small Trek womens specific 330, all Shimano Sora, that I will be stripping the components to transfer to the Fuji. I am definitely going through a bike obsession period, I am OK with that.

Long winded enough.I hope to become a solid member of The Paceline Forum, and maybe make some friendship.

I have tried to upload bike pictures but just get error message that upload failed.

Last edited by DeBike; 09-13-2019 at 07:44 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-13-2019, 07:55 PM

Welcome. It's a great place.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2019, 08:28 PM
Boeuf Chane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBike View Post
I have tried to upload bike pictures but just get error message that upload failed.
Welcome to the forum.

The simplest thing for images is to choose an online hosting site (say, someplace like IMGUR) put your images there, and paste a link to it here such that the image shows up automatically when someone opens your thread.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:29 PM

Bill from Rhode Island, just starting back riding after a few decades. Having trouble finding gear that fits! Have (3) decent rides, helmet, sidi shoes, now just have to get some saddle time.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:19 AM

Tony from Sacramento, me at Mendocino CA dropping into a hole.

Last edited by Tony; 10-12-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:44 PM

real name, if you like Steven
* where do you live? Scotch Plains, NJ.
* explanation of your handle My first initial and last name
* explanation of your avatar ?
* age (general or specific) 65
* occupation Bike Shop owner “The Bike Stand”
* favorite bike Merlin Titanium Extralight
* what's in your stable? Merlin Titanium Extralight, Frank Chamberlain, Steven Willis, and about 10 more
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? 65, Berkley Heights 1999
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? 1,000
* make up and answer at least one additional question. Where were you when Braking Away came out? I live in IL and knew some of the riders in the movie.
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told I used to be real fast
* and, something fun. All my kids have frames I made for them
Old 10-15-2019, 08:51 AM

New here but I post over at VS frequently.

Real name, Andrew

* where do you live? Marseille, France
* explanation of your handle The middle name of a Pynchon character from a book I was reading when I first signed up
* age (general or specific) 30s
* occupation Neuroscientist (laboratory, finished my PhD in 2014) by day, Technical Scientific Writer for a bio pharma development firm by night.
* favorite bike My Mercredi road bike, at the moment (a month ago I'd say my Breadwinner Continental, but she died)
* what's in your stable? Icarus custom road, Mercredi custom road, Yeti Arc-X, Crust Nor'Easter
* fastest speed on a road bike? where? when? No idea
* how many miles ON THE ROAD on a road bike last year? A hair over 16,000mi but some of that was mixed gravel/trail
* make up and answer at least one additional question. How many breeds of banana have you eaten? 6
* what is the biggest lie you've ever told. One time I stole a hat from a schoolmate to replace the one I'd lost (it was the same hat).
* and, something fun. Last week I was camping outside of La Sainte Baume, not too far from here, and my breakfast was stolen by a pack of wild boars. They even ate my coffee grounds.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:51 AM

Hoping I never wake up

Howdy,

I'm Donald, I live and work out of a sleepy little hamlet about an hour east of Atlanta, GA. I tossed the office gig away a few years back and have been living the dream of building people rad custom bikes ever since.

I try to go camping whenever possible, but I'm not a bear, I don't poop in the woods.

Other than the state highways, just about every road out here is unpaved, so my go-to rig atm is this little dirt machine. After putting around 15k on it, I'm almost ready to replace the frame, fine-tuning a few things I've found myself thinking about as I dodge deer and turkey through the forests.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoefercycles View Post
Howdy,

I'm Donald, I live and work out of a sleepy little hamlet about an hour east of Atlanta, GA. I tossed the office gig away a few years back and have been living the dream of building people rad custom bikes ever since.

I try to go camping whenever possible, but I'm not a bear, I don't poop in the woods.

Other than the state highways, just about every road out here is unpaved, so my go-to rig atm is this little dirt machine. After putting around 15k on it, I'm almost ready to replace the frame, fine-tuning a few things I've found myself thinking about as I dodge deer and turkey through the forests.

Welcome. Dope bike.