Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Rule #5

I bought a NOS Titan frame for $200

I just bought a NOS Titan frame from Hoosier Bicycle Supply on ebay; they have a bunch of NOS Titan frames listed for $199-$249, including shipping. The ads say the frames are Cromor or Thron. Either way, for $200 shipped, I figured it's a nicer frame than the bike that is currently wearing my Dura Ace 7400 components. And now I have a shiny new place to hang those Dura Ace bits and pieces.

I stole this photo from the Titan thread on Bike Forums, but the one I purchased has very similar paint. Maybe even the same paint.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:06 PM

Wow they are selling them at ebay? wow... they had problems with the sizing i remember...

Titan is good stuff...
Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 PM
Shifty Member

wow

this one is gorgeous. very cool paint job:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-New-Old-...item5af08ae9a7
Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
this one is gorgeous. very cool paint job:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-New-Old-...item5af08ae9a7
It reminds me of the paint job JB did a few years ago on that Kirk (I think it was Jack Brunk's, but I'm not sure).
Old 04-23-2013, 11:18 PM

I had one of the purple frames with the 90's crazy airbrush paint job. Tubing was Thron.

Some of the smoked ones were SLX...look for the ridges and a 27.2 seatpost size.

The people at HBS know little to nothing about these frames and frankly seem to have a lot of trouble taking simple measurements.

For the longest time they were measuring them vertically from the BB to the TT, as opposed to measuring them along the ST...they also don't seem to get the c-c measurement.

These frames appear very similar to DeBernardis, and were probably built by Bilato, Silva, or some other similar Italian contract builder.

Still...hard to beat for the money, for an NOS frame.

-Mark in St. Louis
Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
they also don't seem to get the c-c measurement.
I agree. For a 61 ST that has to be C-T if the TT is 57.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 PM

Yeah...Mine was 59 c-c ST and 57 c-c TT.

-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I agree. For a 61 ST that has to be C-T if the TT is 57.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:57 PM

Ahh same seller, super cool:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Nexu...item5d34f055e2
Old 04-24-2013, 12:50 AM

I bought a 57, a 59, and a 61 a couple of years ago. The 57 had the maroon marbled paint. My guess on the tubing was Aelle. I really like the blue/white 61 I have built now. I thought it might be SP, but it could be Cromor. There were some SLX frames, but I think junkfood got the last one. The odd thing about them having so much trouble with the size is that it's stamped in the BB shell. Top tubes are on the short side. If you look in Weisan's "Titan Swiss Frames" thread you will see Malcolm's DeBernardi that's painted identically to some of the Titans, and pictures comparing it to my maroon frame. They almost certainly came out of the same shop, and have the same painter's label. The 1995 O'Neill's catalog mentions "the skilled hands of one of Legnano's top builders, Roberto DeBernardi". I'd like to know if that was pure BS, or if he actually existed. At any rate, the Aelle framesets sold for $400, the Cromor for $425 ($500 with chrome rear triangle), and the SLX for $800. Paint like the Thron frames have was $70 extra on the SLX frames. The catalog says the Aelle has British threads, the others Italian. My Aelle had Italian and the Thron British.

Last edited by oliver1850; 12-15-2014 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Total Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I bought a 57, a 59, and a 61 a couple of years ago. The 57 had the maroon marbled paint. My guess on the tubing was Aelle. I really like the blue/white 61 I have built now. I thought it might be SP, but it could be Cromor. There were some SLX frames, but I think junkfood got the last one. The odd thing about them having so much trouble with the size is that it's stamped in the BB shell. Top tubes are on the short side. If you look in Weisan's "Titan Swiss Frames" thread you will see Malcolm's DeBernardi that's painted identically to some of the Titans, and pictures comparing it to my maroon frame. They almost certainly came out of the same shop, and have the same painter's label. The 1995 O'Neill's catalog mentions "the skilled hands of one of Legnano's top builders, Roberto DeBernardi". I'd like to know if that was pure BS, or if he actually existed. At any rate, the Aelle framesets sold for $400, the Cromor for $425 ($500 with chrome rear triangle), and the SLX for $800. Paint like the Thron frames have was $70 extra on the SLX frames. The catalog says the Aelle has British threads, the others Italian. My Aelle had Italian and the Thron British.
Just love those fade paint jobs.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Rule #5

I'm assuming all of the Titan bikes have 1" headtubes, yes? And other than the SLX models mentioned by buldogge, I believe the Titans require a 27.0mm seatpost. Maybe the dimensions are all over the map, but can anybody confirm the measurements for the headtube, seatpost and rear spacing?

Oliver1850, or anyone else: Do you like the way the Titans ride?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Total Member

Yeah so what's the deal on these frames size wise?

The guy is saying 61 ctr to ctr (which is always seemed like an odd way to measure to me) and I ride a 63 ctr to top.

I never have much faith in quoted sizing unless it's stamped on a frame and can be verified.

I'm still looking for a replacement frame after in dinged mine

I like the paint on this bad boy:

Old 04-24-2013, 01:44 PM
bourbon!

I keep looking at the 63. It's got a 531 sticker, so a decent bike. Must resist.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Rule #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanterne Rouge View Post
Yeah so what's the deal on these frames size wise?
Not saying Hoosier knows what they're talking about, but they were quick to respond to my questions.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:53 PM

That reminds me that I have a Titan pantographed quill stem in 120mm reach X 26.0 diameter that's gathering dust in my parts bin that would look good on one of these. I'd trade for something similar without the panto. PM me if anybody's innersted.