Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 01:09 PM

this is a case by case deal.
you can use the same rotors on the same hubs to minimize the chance of any problems, but irl, using the same hub is more important than using the same rotor. obviously they need to be the same size.

minor differences can lead to rubbing or brake noise, but that's also why you don't want to screw with your calipers all the time either.
again, every person on here can give you a different answer and we could all be wrong. just need to try it with your particular setup.

the one thing i'd avoid is using the same rotors on bikes with different brake pads. going from organic to sintered and back and forth will almost certainly lead to tons of brake noise.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy sti View Post
You're over thinking this.
Of course I am! Isn't that why we have the forum? And it would be inconsistent of me not to overthink this along with every other choice on the new bike
Old 02-11-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
Of course I am! Isn't that why we have the forum? And it would be inconsistent of me not to overthink this along with every other choice on the new bike
What else is there to do? Can you even see pavement this time of year? I took my severance from KC and moved to new job in AZ.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:16 PM

Swapping rotors especially center lock is cake .. I can do it faster then toeing in brake pads
Old 02-11-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
What else is there to do? Can you even see pavement this time of year? I took my severance from KC and moved to new job in AZ.
Sure, pavement is white and soft with some shiny slippery spots on it. And where it's not soft it's still white from road chemicals and still has slippery spots. Have not idea why people would ever call it blacktop....

On the positive side of things, we seem to be going out of the either "snow's melted off the trails" or "-20F temps make skiing really slow" cycle and are getting good snow every few days and decent temps. Had an amazing time at the biathlon course and range yesterday. Program director is already planning run/shoot or mtn bike/shoot events for the snowless time of year.

Been following your riding/new bike reportings here and across the hall. Bet you don't miss the trips to WI this time of year!

Last edited by teleguy57; 02-11-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:45 PM

This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I have two sets of wheels for my Coconino Dirt Roadster, one has WI XMR 6 bolt and the other has Boyd CLD. I shimmed the rear Boyd .025 to not have to adjust the caliper when I swap wheels. I obviously don't swap rotors.
I run 2.5 set on my IF Deluxe. 2.5=DT Swiss 240s with one thru axle front and one QR front. The second set is a Mavic CrossMax QR F/R. Key was using shims to get all wheels with 6 bolts aligned. Works I swap shock/rigid fork a couple of times a year which is simple as some extra locktight on the caliper mount.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:40 PM

Life is too short for wheel swaps, set them up on their own bikes.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
Swapping rotors especially center lock is cake .. I can do it faster then toeing in brake pads
You re-toe your brake pads when you swap rim brake wheels?
Old 02-12-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
Life is too short for wheel swaps, set them up on their own bikes.
POTD