Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 10:13 AM

Saddle question - wide (large) Arione - anyone try this yet?

I noticed Fizik came out with a wider version of the Arione. It's referred as a Large version, but the main difference is that it's 142mm wide instead of the regular version that's 132mm wide.

Has anyone tried out the Large version yet? Comes in both the R1 carbon rail model and the R3 metal rail version.

Appreciate hearing any thoughts on this one.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Administrator

interesting. had not noticed that they have added a "large" version across the line. i have always thought the standard widths on the main saddles was always a little too narrow for me. i may have to give one of these a look myself!

keeping up with what saddles are and are not on the market at any given time can be maddening. lots of change.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Aliante

I bought the large version of the Aliante R1 (154mm) for my roadie about a year and a half ago. It's ok, but I still much prefer my large Brooks Cambium C13 (158mm) on my gravel bike. I guess I must have a really fat ass and the extra 4mm helps.

I tried the Antares before the Aliante, and I really disliked it, it was like sitting on a hot knife.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:21 PM

My most surprising saddle discovery was that a regular Arione is almost as comfy for me as my B-17. I might love a wider Arione but my last road bike is my Rambouillet and it has a very appropriate and comfy fancy B-17 in dark brown and ti rails so I'm not in the market for another saddle. Heck, I think I have a black Arione I could sell if anyone needs one.