Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2019, 09:44 PM

One of many examples of why top tube length is not the best indicator of sizing/fit.

Carry on.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:36 PM

THe guy made a bike for somebody but that bike is so off IMO, must handle really slow.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 PM

A steep seat tube angle, short head tube, and long top tube are usually indicative of a time trial bike. Are you sure this bike was meant for drop handlebars? Bullhorn bars would seem a more appropriate choice
Old 02-11-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
A steep seat tube angle, short head tube, and long top tube are usually indicative of a time trial bike. Are you sure this bike was meant for drop handlebars? Bullhorn bars would seem a more appropriate choice
Bullhorns are designed to have the same hand position as brake lever hoods on drop bars. This geo is more suited to flat, or even swept back handlebars.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
Bullhorns are designed to have the same hand position as brake lever hoods on drop bars. This geo is more suited to flat, or even swept back handlebars.
Bullhorn bars are designed for the hands to be in the middle of the forward extension, whereas the drop lever brake hoods are on the front of the forward extension. Consequently, the effective reach on bullhorns is a few centimeters less than drop handlebars.

In addition, the forward and low body position on a time trial bike shifts a lot of weight to the front of the bike. To improve stability, the front center of a time trial bike is often longer than on road bike. Increasing the front center can be done by decreasing head angle or increasing top tube length - and often both.

Last edited by Mark McM; 02-11-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:22 PM

The geo numbers sound like a TT bike to me. However, seeing the photo, the seat tube angle doesn't "look" steep to me. Maybe it's the photo angles or my eyes are out of calibration, but I would never have guessed 75.5 deg.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
The geo numbers sound like a TT bike to me. However, seeing the photo, the seat tube angle doesn't "look" steep to me. Maybe it's the photo angles or my eyes are out of calibration, but I would never have guessed 75.5 deg.
I agree - I seriously doubt that the bike in the photo has that seat angle.

dave
Old 02-11-2019, 01:42 PM

My frames that were built for me had a 57cm TT with a 52cm ST, I've got short legs, long body and the arms of a gorilla
Old 02-11-2019, 01:51 PM

I'd be willing to bet the 110 head tube gets quite a bit more normal once you add the stack of the headset cups.

I'll also agree that the bike in the pic doesn't match the geo table. Hand taken measurements?
Old 02-11-2019, 01:52 PM
Riding Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
My frames that were built for me had a 57cm TT with a 52cm ST, I've got short legs, long body and the arms of a gorilla
Like Micheal Phelps...imagine how good a swimmer you could have been.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt2u77 View Post
Yes, I was going to say the same. STA looks 73* or even less and, in any event, seat tube is parallel or perhaps a hair slacker - not 2.5* steeper - than head tube.