Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-31-2019, 09:44 AM

PVC vs PAC

I had an ablation four years ago for Afib and Aflutter. Afterward, I had some PVC's while exercising. Last week while preparing for a ride, I started getting some strange readings. They don't look like PVC's readings on my HR monitor which often get stuck on one number then suddenly jump to another number. It doesn't feel as dramatic as Afib, which used to really kick my butt. Visited cardiologist yesterday but the EKG was not conclusive. PA said the results did look like the atria was making some odd beats. I'm now wearing a Holter monitor till tomorrow. May not get the results till Monday. The suspense is killing me. Has anyone experienced PAC's? What did they look like? Currently taking 100 mg of Flecanide each day.
Thanks
Old 01-31-2019, 12:40 PM

I had an ablation in early 2010 for chronic A-fib, and fixed the problem...mostly. In 2014, I started having PVC's from time to time, but they tended to mitigate own their own. It's not uncommon to get some PVC's after about 4 years post ablation. Sometimes it's determined that the PVC's are totally benign (as in my case), and sometimes it is determined that a follow up ablation (or touch up) is called for. These touch ups are usually much simpler, basically outpatient - when they don't need to go into a femoral vein.

Today I have them here and there, but I hardly notice it except when I'm swimming, or laying down. I don't have enough of them to warrant any medical action. PVC's are almost always benign, so I exercise as hard as I want. On the bike, I just about always log time in zone 5. My doctor put a Holter monitor on for the PVC's, and mine were benign.

And the feeling of a skipped beat is almost always PVC, not PAC. I am betting yours is PVC.

Having said all this, we are all different getting your doc to investigate and evaluate is the right thing to do. There are thousands of heart bugs, or anomalies, many benign but some needing attention. I don't like the comment that you are currently on Flecainide, 4 years post ablation. I got off it a few months after the ablation and as of today, I take absolutely nothing. Not even an aspirin.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:02 PM

My situation is very similar to RN’s. Ablation 4/2011, all great for 7 1/2 years and then some PVC’s or PAC’s. And one pretty bad bout of afib. My HMO tested me til the cows came home. Put me on all kinds of beta blockers and then after I bitched how miserable I was on the bb’s, on Flec ( which also made me miserable ). Eventually the extra beats went away, I went off all drugs and life went back to pretty much normal...I chalk it up to not hydrating enough and being low on electrolytes.

Try this website for more info on electrolytes. These people are firm believers: www.afibbers.org

I mean, your doc knows best, but I also recommend going off the Flecanide. It’s poison to athletes. All those heart slowing meds are. Just miserable. I just rode it out ( pun intended ) and have been fine. Just don’t freak out, yes they are very uncomfortable and scary...but they are benign.

Good luck!
Old 01-31-2019, 04:28 PM
Older Than You

My ablation failed and wound up with a pacemaker. I still get PVC's but only when at rest. Once I start riding or walking they disappear.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:29 PM

My doc says everybody has PVCs...then I asked him about my other 3 types of arrhythmia...…..….
Old 02-05-2019, 07:58 AM

I did wear a monitor for 48 hours last week. Still waiting on report and phone call from the doctor. We are having unbelievably beautiful weather in upstate SC this week an I don't feel comfortable riding. A nice walk with the dog will be nice today. I've been increasing my magnesium and drinking more electrolytes. Still having what I think are PVC's. A "touch up" ablation would be agreeable if I could get off the meds for good. I'll try to keep that dream alive this week!
Thanks for all the comments.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:25 AM

A few of my cyclist friends have battled A-Fib and have found Dr. John M's website to be helpful (https://www.drjohnm.org/). He's an eletrophysiologist and avid cyclist who has written a lot about A-fib in athletes. His approach seems to focus on holistic treatment rather than a rush to perform ablations.

Most PVC's are benign but its good to get it checked out. For athletes battling arrhythmia, information is your best friend.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delish View Post
A few of my cyclist friends have battled A-Fib and have found Dr. John M's website to be helpful (https://www.drjohnm.org/). He's an eletrophysiologist and avid cyclist who has written a lot about A-fib in athletes. His approach seems to focus on holistic treatment rather than a rush to perform ablations.

Most PVC's are benign but its good to get it checked out. For athletes battling arrhythmia, information is your best friend.
Thank you for the link!

I read a bunch of what he had to say on afib and ablations. I think he is spot on, but...I had an ablation for afib almost 8 years ago and it completely changed my life for the better.

I would not hesitate to tell anyone my story and the positive outcomes from having an ablation for afib.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:01 PM

Last Friday, I received the results from my EP, or the FNP. My holter monitor results were quite normal. Now, how was it that two Polar monitors, one a Bluetooth, the other was a traditional monitor, about 5 years old, were going nuts. It created two weeks of unnecessary stress in my otherwise non stressful life. Plus, two weeks of very little exercise, and more than a few dollars which could have gone toward bike parts! I read somewhere that someone said they would get readings like this from a Polar, but not from a Garmin? Has anyone else had this experience? Because I once had afib and aflutter, I like to keep an eye on what's going on. I'm not training for any races or double centuries and I don't like to "over tech" any of my rides. Thanks for your comments and recommendations.