Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 AM

last was 5°F for me. I deleted almost all the other cyclists in my friends list who stop riding outside in the winter. I dont really care how fast someone can pedal on a stationary bike in a climate controlled environment.

Thanks for this though! I am absolutely gonna check it out on lunchbreak
Old 02-11-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
found some snow today on Mt Tam....
joosttx...when are you going to give that crappy bike up? Please let me know!
Old 02-11-2019, 09:54 AM

I use Strava almost exclusively for 3 things and none of them involve other people.

I enjoy the mapping function, the training calendar and mileage total function and I enjoy the PR function on Strava sections. I never compare myself to others and only am interested in my own personal bests and even then only a little bit. Mostly I like the mapping and mileage tracking.

The rest is just noise and I almost never look at what others do unless it looks interesting.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:31 AM

As bad as the Zwift posts are on Strava I am now seeing people post their gym / weight workouts. I really need to clean up my Strava feed.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:07 PM

I mark all of my trainer time as private on strava. That way it’s still counting in my totals but people don’t have to view my crap.

I have to admit tho, sometimes I do get kinda inspired when I see friends of mine kicking ass on their trainers and posting hard workouts. I know we’re all pretty much dreaming of spring right now so it’s good to see that this brutal weather isn’t totally getting people down.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac View Post
this is a rough time of year, weather-wise. many of my friends are seeking refuge in their basements, sweating away on their trainers. these are hard-fought hours to reap hard-earned benefits, no doubt. much kudos should go to them!

but...

when i look at my strava feed, i'm having a hard time finding anyone who's riding outside. i'm in there looking for routes my friends took, trying to get ideas for new places to go. here in februaryville, however, these adventuresome needles are getting lost in a haystack of zwifts and sufferfests.

i'm a software developer by trade, and yesterday when i saw 5 zwifts in a row in my feed, i decided to pick up my fingers and do something about it. so i wrote a chrome browser extension: https://github.com/kevinstuffandthings/strava-outside

it's still pretty raw right now -- enough that if you're not even remotely technical, i wouldn't even entertain trying it. i don't know if i'll ever do much more with it, but it was a fun exercise for me (the only exercise i got) on a 6 degree day here in denver.

completely free, completely safe (could be some bugs, but nothing crazy), and if anyone tries it, would love to get some feedback about your experience. if it proves useful, i might try to publish it. i figure i can't be the only person who's felt this way before.

thanks for reading!

Wouldn’t it be easier just to unfollow them ?
I’m not good at this social thing, myself Strava is just a database for training.
And or a KOM or two
JB
Old 02-24-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere View Post
Wouldn’t it be easier just to unfollow them ?
I’m not good at this social thing, myself Strava is just a database for training.
And or a KOM or two
JB
i probably only follow 15-20 people, and even though they're indoors at the moment, they're still my friends! and come spring/summer/fall, they'll all be outside riding again. once they are, i enjoy looking at and chatting with them about the places they ride, and this can help to inform/expand some of my own route choices -- which for me is what strava is all about.

i just felt like there's a very low percentage chance that while i'm riding outside, i suddenly find myself in their basements....
Old 02-25-2019, 08:30 AM

Strava seems pointless if you don't use it in some sort of social way as there are so many applications that are much better for the actual workout tracking/planning aspects.

I really like the "recon" facets of it as others mentioned. Don't really care a whole lot about the KOMs and stuff. But it's nice to see if my friends have rode some new route I haven't rode which gives me ideas about new places to ride. And also it will sometimes give me a hint about a new group ride in the area that I'm not aware of. That stuff can provide a bit of motivation.

There is no recon value in seeing the Zwift/Peloton/trainer stuff in the feed, plus in the case of Peloton 99% of the time it presents a picture of the cleavage of the instructor if it's a woman or a shirtless chest if it's a man. Why do I need to see that?

I thought we had a thread a few months ago where someone had indicated Strava did have a relationship with these trainer/spin companies.

I will maybe check out the OPs plugin or some of these others, although lately I haven't even been checking in on Strava.. still when I am riding a lot I do tend to look at it after each of my own workouts.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:37 AM

Stop following people. I only see my feeds which are Zwift this time of year because there is no place to ride right now unless I want to do circuits in my neighborhood. Once it warms up and the days get longer, I'll do long road rides on the weekend and MTB during the week. But for now, I get home an hour before dark so a 45 minute ride isn't worth the time.