Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowsun View Post
I'm a few weeks out of picking up my "XXL, low-trail, TA, disc, rando all-road" Bantam. I'll let you know how it goes.
Looking forward to details and pics. Do you mind sharing how long the wait has been?
Old 02-08-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Looking forward to details and pics. Do you mind sharing how long the wait has been?
12 months since I put my deposit down.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:27 PM
Daniel

Quote:
A MAP frame and fork alone would be at the high end of my budget.

There's also Cooper Cycles in PDX, 559Rando knows him pretty well maybe he'll chime in.

A few of the names mentioned "can" build low trail, but I'm really looking for "does" build low trail.
I'm a little late to the party...I have been moving back to SoCal.

I second/third/fourth Bantam, Elephant and (if he'll do discs) Fitz.

Cooper...where to begin? Brilliant builder but no longer building. I had hoped to bring a 559 BCD (Rat Traps Pass) low trail all-round bike to market with him. Fast forward 2+ years and I just finally got my hands on the prototype frameset after having to involve the Oregon DOJ. He is no longer a builder I can recommend. His framebuilding is/was brilliant and I wish it had played out differently.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2019, 05:14 AM

Wasn’t Hampsten affiliated with the Tournesol bikes project? Seems like he’d be worth a call.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowsun View Post
I'm a few weeks out of picking up my "XXL, low-trail, TA, disc, rando all-road" Bantam. I'll let you know how it goes.
fellowsun,

Any update and pics of your Bantam?
Old 04-04-2019, 02:52 PM

Not sure if you've seen my Chapman, but Brian is excellent to work with if/when you venture out of the West-Coast builders requirement. He's since done some through-axle builds.

Really curious to see Fellowsun's Bantam, too. Bob K worked at Bilenky when he was in Philly. He's a solid person and builder alike.

I've long wondered what Steve Potts would build for a low-trail bike, and the Steve Rex recommendation is a good one. Rossman and many of the others already mentioned are solid as well. Go with who you like talking to!
Old 04-04-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v531xc View Post
Not sure if you've seen my Chapman, but Brian is excellent to work with if/when you venture out of the West-Coast builders requirement. He's since done some through-axle builds.

Really curious to see Fellowsun's Bantam, too. Bob K worked at Bilenky when he was in Philly. He's a solid person and builder alike.

I've long wondered what Steve Potts would build for a low-trail bike, and the Steve Rex recommendation is a good one. Rossman and many of the others already mentioned are solid as well.
Beautiful Chapman, took another look at it and yes, I definitely need to drop my local preference and contact Brian.

I sent fellowsun a PM and he's going to post to the Gallery when he gets some good pics.

I've got a Potts, one is enough for me. I've always admired Steve Rex and may touch base with him after I hear back from two local builders I've contacted recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v531xc View Post
Go with who you like talking to!
That, unfortunately, got me into the builder trouble I'm in now. Great idea in theory, but not fool proof.

Last edited by donevwil; 04-04-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
That, unfortunately, got me into the builder trouble I'm in now. Great idea in theory, but not fool proof.
haha! well, I'm excited to see what you decide whether it be one bike or many