Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2019, 07:07 AM

Need CX Gravel Advice

I want to get into gravel rides and building up an older CX frameset with leftover Campy parts. Some questions:
- with Campy the largest cassette I can find is a 29. Using a 50/34 crankset, is that ok.
- my frameset can accept 700-34 tires. If I run tubeless at say 40 pounds is that ok?
- what rim brakeset is recommended?
- was planning to use some older HED Ardennes wheels. Any issues?

Thanks.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterPA View Post
I want to get into gravel rides and building up an older CX frameset with leftover Campy parts. Some questions:
- with Campy the largest cassette I can find is a 29. Using a 50/34 crankset, is that ok.
- my frameset can accept 700-34 tires. If I run tubeless at say 40 pounds is that ok?

Thanks.
-gear rations depend on you, your fitness, where you ride, etc..no easy answer..29t, 10s? If 10s,, Campag makes a 12-30..
-Again..probably...every cross racer that races and traines uses tires in that diameter
-Canti bosses? Mini V brakes work the best but have the least clearance between tire and straddle cable.
-Nope
Old 02-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

What the ancient tater said...

All depends on your terrain. Around DC there are several short, steep pitches that you can grunt up without tiny gears.

I find myself liking my 11-28 more than I like my 11-32 or 11-34. YRMV

Also around here, the roads are pretty buff most of the year, so I rarely ride more than a 33c tire.

M
Old 02-09-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
-gear rations depend on you, your fitness, where you ride, etc..no easy answer..29t, 10s? If 10s,, Campag makes a 12-30..
-Again..probably...every cross racer that races and traines uses tires in that diameter
-Canti bosses? Mini V brakes work the best but have the least clearance between tire and straddle cable.
-Nope
Thanks. Couldn’t find a 13/30 10speed. I guess it could be special ordered though.

Any brand, model of tires to use for general use? On my road bike I use Hutchinson or Specialized tubeless, not that it matters.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Specifically the TRP CX8.4 mini-Vs. Awesome power, plenty of clearance for 34mm tires. Good luck on your build!
Old 02-09-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Couldn’t find a 13/30 10speed. I guess it could be special ordered
Not 13, 12-30

https://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-ce...2-30-cassette/

http://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/
Old 02-09-2019, 08:53 AM

I'd consider a 1:1 gear as a goal for a good low, so if you can get a 30T max in the back maybe consider a "sub compact" of some sort for the front. 50x11 is between "plenty" and "way too big" for most people in most (even road) situations, and a 48x12 (~28mph at 90rpm per bikecalc.com) wouldn't be too bad, as an option. Of course, it does depend on your fitness, but few people ever say "I wish my low gear was higher" at the end of an all day ride especially pushing larger tires on soft surfaces..

Last edited by Davist; 02-09-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:18 AM

All depends on where you ride. I did my first season (2016-2017) of gravel grinders on a Gunnar Crosshairs with 8 speed Dura Ace STI with a 12-26, 38/44 rings, and TRP mini-V's. No issues clearing 35mm tires. If the courses had longer climbs then I might have wanted lower gearing, but the ones I was riding in North Texas had shorter punchy climbs and a 60 mile course might have 3000 total feet of climbing.

Now I have a Coconino Dirt Road Racer with mostly Ultegra with disc brakes. It's useful for more courses but I'm not any faster.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Thanks. Couldn’t find a 13/30 10speed. I guess it could be special ordered though.

Any brand, model of tires to use for general use? On my road bike I use Hutchinson or Specialized tubeless, not that it matters.
12-30/10s

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/...gaAlNMEALw_wcB
Old 02-09-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Depends on both your abilities and what the elevation profile of your regional gravel riding looks like.

One thing to keep in mind is that rear wheel traction is a problem on gravel: you need to keep your pedaling form smooth on steep loose stuff or the rear wheel just slips. So bottoming out your gearing has bigger consequences than it does on pavement.

Beyond that, recommendations are hard to give.
If your name is Vincenzo Nibali and you're planning to do pancake-flat gravel riding, then you'd be fine on a 1x setup with a 53T chainring and an 11-25 cassette.
If you're an average rider and you're planning to tackle the mountainous forest roads here in the Pacific Northwest, I'd suggest bringing a sub-1:1 gear or several along for the ride.

Quote:
Maybe. What pressure you should be running depends on your weight and the tires and the riding surface.

Whether 34mm of clearance is adequate depends on how chunky your gravel is.
There's plenty of well-maintained velodrome-smooth gravel out there that rides just fine on 25mm road racing tires.
On the other hand, there's plenty of chunky stuff out there which 34mm tires are fairly narrow for. That can pose issues for handling, and from sidewall exposure (which can necessitate the use of beefy tires with heavily-reinforced sidewalls that don't roll as well).

Quote:
If you're not using huge tires, a mini-V is a good choice. They're usually compatible with standard road brake levers without needing pull adapters, and they're easier to set up than centerpull cantilevers.

Quote:
As long as they're in fine condition, they should do fine.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:47 PM
aka RAEKWON

what part of the country are you? what kind of gravel is it? what kind of shape are you?

Everything has been covered about but if it was me (and for what I ride/shape), if I could only get a 30T in the back I would go with a subcompact crankset (praxis alba is cheap and its a pretty great crank) 48-32 works really nice with a 11-30 (I actually have this combo and really like it). As far as tires go, 32-34mm is a nice size tire for smooth gravel and great size for mixed terrain.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks.
in short, check, check, Paul Mini Motos are great, and check!

Gear choice really depends on the roads you ride. I'm using Campy and a 29 with 50/34 and this works great with our short steep gravel climbs. There are times i wish for Campy's 32t cassette because it is difficult to stand on the steepest of gravel. I like Paul products. Their cantis are highly recommended. I went with Mini-Motos which are easy to set up and great performance. I'm using Hed rims and they set up great tubeless. Have fun.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermalattorney View Post
Specifically the TRP CX8.4 mini-Vs. Awesome power, plenty of clearance for 34mm tires. Good luck on your build!
Seconded. These appear to have been designed to work with the Campy Ergo lever. I've got a couple of sets on various bikes (with Campy) and they are great!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-09-2019, 06:40 PM

I am old and not in very good shape. I've been very happy to have had a 1:1 low gear near the end of a 60 mile gravel ride. Easiest way to get that with C10 is a triple crank.

Universal has the Centaur 12-30 for $113. You can get the Veloce 13-29 there for $60. You might consider 11 speed if you want a bit lower gear. The 11-32 Centaur is $89.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=40516