Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
I have a friend that has no idea how much his financial adviser is charging him.
"He's making me money. That's all I care about".

Mickey Mouse could make money in the current bull market run.
My dad told me at a young age...

Never confuse a genius with a bull market.

Over time, basically none of these people add value. They have no obligation to add value. You can’t net out their fees for tax purposes.

They also play games...they have 5 accounts, and they show you the two that won.

I’ve been a CPA for a year, and a tax guy for 2.5...and have had 5 try and make “mutually beneficial” arrangements for client referrals. No thanks.

Last edited by Aaron O; 01-28-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
You might try Clarence Beeks. He's got great tips in the commodities markets, in case you want to diversify.
This!
Old 01-28-2019, 10:11 PM

I’m in the process of straightening out our finances as retirement approaches in a year or 2. My wife and I have stocks, mutual funds, bank accounts all over the place. I did work in the mutual fund industry for a short while and held a Series 6 and 26 license. I am now moving most of my investments to Fidelity - I will not be paying any financial advisor fees, but do have access to a CFP and other Fidelity services. Why Fidelity ... mostly because my wife is “comfortable” with the person we have been working with there, they have an office close by, I already have some assets at Fidelity and a neighbor who worked at Standard & Poors for over 30 years has given them pretty high marks and keeps most of his investments at Fidelity. For me this is more about getting everything in 1 place and with a company my wife can easily work with if I go first (hopefully not for a long time ). I’m not looking for them to necessarily direct my investments, but just simplify things a bit. This is not an endorsement for Fidelity ... just how I am getting my finances in order for retirement. As others have stated - I would try to avoid paying a % for financial advice/services.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:38 AM

Some advisors to consider

Some advisors are worth considering. I recommend discussing your situation with DFA advisors who offer the DFA family of funds. See link below:

https://us.dimensional.com/

Note that you can find their advisors in your area and have a beginning discussion. Their funds are mostly passive but have typically matched or exceeded comparable managed and many Vanguard funds. DFA fees are very low. Most of them combine portfolios of DFA and Vanguard funds which have outperformed most others even after advisor and fund fees but you should ck it out on your own.

Their local advisors typically have an account minimum but there are some on-line with no minimums and my advisor has a group that services all investors. Anyone can PM me if interested.

Alan
Old 01-29-2019, 07:50 AM

A prior poster recommended the Merriman Group. Their founder, Paul Merriman, who is now retired and no longer owns the company, has authored two excellent books. One is called "Financial Fitness Forever" and the other is "How to Live It Up Without Outliving Your Money ". He also has an educational website where you can download three other books of his for free (www.paulmerriman.com). Paul has devoted his retirement years to educating investors. He no longer advises and doesn't sell anything (except his books), but rather provides education. I think he's fantastic.

If you're looking for an advisor, I recommend a fee-only advisor, which is one who simply charges by the hour and has no conflict of interest. A great way to find a properly credentialed and reputable one is through the Garrett Planning Network (www.garrettplanningnetwork.com). They only list fee-only advisors with a fiduciary responsibility.

Properly managing your money can greatly impact your standard of living, so it's important to do it right.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk