Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2019, 08:25 AM

Something Is Missing!

Admitting it’s a difficult material to work with, but isn’t Ti relevant for discussion? I mean, I’ve ridden every material out there, well not quite, (never been on a wooden or bamboo frame), and quite honestly, nothing rides like a well made Ti frame; the exception being my 2011 Custom Ottrott SE, but that’s a horse of a different color. This omission has got me to thinking, if TR hasn’t work w/it, perhaps he doesn’t believe it relevant? I think Ti is the one material that will come full circle and the second time around will be huge!
Old 01-26-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
At the Rapha LA even tonight, he said something to the effect of:

'I have tried over and over again to build a steel fork, but to pass all of the testing, it would need to be very stiff. This would cause it to weigh over 1000g instead of around 300g, and I don't want to sell a fork that heavy.'
All my Ritchey bikes had steel forks!
Old 01-26-2019, 09:08 AM

Ritchey has done Breakaways in ti.

If the ti comment is specifically in reference to forks, I think there is a reason we don't see ti forks much at all. I forget what it is, but I know I've read a reason somewhere.
---
My c. 2002 Road Logic has one of the very nice unicrown forks which at one point I swapped out for a carbon Alpha Q. Much preferred the ride of the steel fork even if it did add weight so went back to it. I agree that fork is one of the biggest parts of the ride quality equation.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Too bad he seemed to forget what it was for at times.

Tim
Wrong mic for that application. It's a highly directional mic often used as a "shotgun" mic for very live events that include picking up something at a distance without picking up any audio from the side. Never meant for that purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoosy View Post
I very much enjoyed this video, very enlightening. It especially caught my attention when he mentioned the carbon fiber bike tubing diameter as compared to steel tubing diameter at 36 minutes into the video. Is this why I so much enjoy my Look 585? It's such a nice ride. Are Look 585's old school or futureristic?
Yep, enjoy looking at and riding mine as well. Marketing demands new stuff all the time, but the 585 has developed enough of a following that I wonder if they shouldn't consider bringing it back as a retro-tribute bike in some way? Special paint job and just the tiniest of updates. On the other hand, it seems that LOOK distribution in the U.S. has gotten strange. Just finding a LOOK dealer who stocks anything is almost impossible?
Old 01-26-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adampaiva View Post
Ritchey has done Breakaways in ti.

If the ti comment is specifically in reference to forks, I think there is a reason we don't see ti forks much at all. I forget what it is, but I know I've read a reason somewhere.
---
My c. 2002 Road Logic has one of the very nice unicrown forks which at one point I swapped out for a carbon Alpha Q. Much preferred the ride of the steel fork even if it did add weight so went back to it. I agree that fork is one of the biggest parts of the ride quality equation.
should have specified, my question was targeted at frames and tubesets, not forks! But since we’re on topic of forks, if made well, carbon forks have performance edge over steel, MHO

Last edited by laupsi; 01-26-2019 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-26-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witcombusa View Post
I would like to see a couple of his personal bikes though. Much like D2R2's Sandy, I'll bet those bikes are 'well sorted' and might surprise you with some of the component choices!
Which bike is "Sandy"? Is there a link to it?
Old 01-26-2019, 10:17 AM

A few years old:

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/bl...ca-california/
Old 01-26-2019, 03:06 PM
Head to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet sanchez View Post
Which bike is "Sandy"? Is there a link to it?
I'm referring to the bike D2R2's creator and rider of the highest order, Sandy Whittlesey uses for his personal use like BMB. He selects parts that might surprise some folks...

Last edited by witcombusa; 01-26-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:22 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
At the Rapha LA even tonight, he said something to the effect of:

'I have tried over and over again to build a steel fork, but to pass all of the testing, it would need to be very stiff. This would cause it to weigh over 1000g instead of around 300g, and I don't want to sell a fork that heavy.'
His presence at this event made a big difference in its quality/value.

Separately, the current 'gravel bike' thread reminded me of something else he said that resonated with me: riding varied terrain on your road bike (call it cross, call it gravel, whatever) makes you a better rider, more skilled and better able to control and feel the bike. To me that's an encouragement to take my drop-bar bike, whatever it's called, onto surfaces other than good pavement.

If someone would just please relieve me of these two Colnagos I'd be happy to put the funds toward something actually designed for that purpose.