Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2019, 03:54 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
This Schneider looks almost exactly like one of my Titans. Was Schneider a builder or a brand?
A few years ago I purchased a Schneider from a seller in Switzerland. My frame has the same font as the eBay one...but mine is definitely a Losa. It has the typical Losa cutouts on the lugs and several Losa pantographs on the frame.

I was told by the seller that Schneider is a bike shop in Switzerland and the link in the eBay listing seems that way. It was (maybe still is) common for shops in Europe to have bikes built for them and labeled as a house brand. Given that, it's certainly possible that the eBay bike was made by Titan.

And for the record, there is a builder in TX named Hans Schneider. http://www.hscycles.com/

Old 01-27-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
A few years ago I purchased a Schneider from a seller in Switzerland. My frame has the same font as the eBay one...but mine is definitely a Losa. It has the typical Losa cutouts on the lugs and several Losa pantographs on the frame.

I was told by the seller that Schneider is a bike shop in Switzerland and the link in the eBay listing seems that way. It was (maybe still is) common for shops in Europe to have bikes built for them and labeled as a house brand. Given that, it's certainly possible that the eBay bike was made by Titan.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I suspected. Most of the Titans were built by BIllato. I'm guessing they built the Schneider I linked on ebay.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:15 AM

Sadly, the frame cracked at the BB on mine a couple years ago. It had the same paint job as the eBay one and came from Switzerland.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
And for the record, there is a builder in TX named Hans Schneider. http://www.hscycles.com/

Interestingly, Hans is the person that introduced me to the roadie world about 25 years ago. Great person and a fantastic, under-rated builder!

Texbike
Old 01-28-2019, 03:04 PM
ZhugeLiang

Here's what my Titan frame used to look like...I say, used to, because it has got into an accident and had some structural damage. I clamped too hard on the top tube and.... which is a shame, really...

Ha!
You wish, don't you....no, that's not what happened. Something else happened but I am not gonna talked about it here.

It's a NOS Titan frame that i bought from eBay for less than $100. It has the unique "hatch" on the top and down tubes.

Last edited by weisan; 01-28-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:52 AM

Lightbulb Please help me ID! Titan Mountainbike

Dear esteemed bicycle experts of the internet,

I purchased this Titan mountain bike in Munich Germany about 5 years ago. The gentleman I bought it from didn't know much about it, and I have spent hours upon hours trying to find any information. There are a few 'Titan' bicycle manufacturers throughout the last few decades - can anyone help me pinpoint this one? I know the Swiss Titan focused mainly on road bikes - did they also build mtbs?

The components were all shimano deore lx (late 80s/early 90s from the looks of it). The frame says "Titan Professional" and "mountain-bike", i guess for clarification purposes

Thanks in advance!

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...=104358&page=2
Old 04-09-2019, 05:52 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Given that, it's certainly possible that the eBay bike was made by Titan.
I would need to do research but i'm 99% positive Titan is a brand, not a manufacturer.

Edit: My sources say mostly built in Italy at the usual suspects. Romani may have built for Titan as well. Titan never made a single frame themselves.

Last edited by martl; 04-09-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:24 AM

The guy I bought it from was German I believe and lived in Switzerland. His name was Ernest Jacob and the company was called Velomech. I believe he was just an entrepreneur who had no real interest in the bike business but somehow managed to buy a warehouse full of old quality 80's steel frames and sold them online. He must have gotten them real cheap because I paid like $40 bucks for the frame and fork. The shipping to the US was twice that!

I do remember at the time that he did indeed also have Titan mountain bikes so yours very well may come from that lineage.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:22 AM

Thanks a lot Redir - its a bit strange to me that the decal is also different from the normal Titan ones, but from the sound of it they were a bit all over the place.