Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2019, 05:38 PM

Eddy Merckx AXM frame

I have the above frame but after a faux pass on my part I am having issues with the rear brake casing routing through the top tube. I am guessing that there is a "guide tube" incorporated in the top tube between the casing entry and exit points. Appreciate if anyone confirm this and advise how it is held within the top tube. Any suggestions on how I might route the casing through the entry and exit lugs and along the top tube with a guide tube that seems compromised would be appreciated too.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:46 PM

I have no personal knowledge or experience with this frame but will pass along a couple of general tips. Some frames are designed for the housing to go all the way through and exit out of the far end. If this is the case you will be able to pass the housing easily pretty far into the frame. Then of course the challenge is to get the housing out the other side. You might find using an old piece of brake or derailleur cable with the end cut off will work nicely as a guide wire. This will be easier to fish through the frame and then you just pass the housing over it. Remove the guide wire and voila you’re done.

Some frames, the inner cable only goes through the frame, in which case you use a ferrule at the entry and exit points for the outer cable (housing). Older steel Merckx frames are this style and I recall one of mine required a smaller ferrule. I think I ended up just trimming off the plastic part of the housing and fit it without a ferrule.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:06 PM

As he says... some have a tube inside, IMO that EM should have something, is really rare to see just in and out holes with nothing connecting them.

As for what to route, the cable of the casing, well it depends a lot. Some frames you can pass the whole casing, but IME all modern stuff you can pass through just the cable, the casing should not fit. Then you have to use ferruless and stuff at each end....

How to find out? well... pass the cable and see if it goes all the way to the other side, i mean... no other way to find out.

If you try the casing, if it stops after a few mm then you can not pass it... or does or it doesnt, always you can force it in but then you will be in really bad troubles

If the cable doesnt shows up all the way to the other side, well the answer is obvious, you have non connectig tube between the in and the out... in those cases you can use a thread and a vaccum cleaner, then use that to fish tale the new cable in.

Hope this helps.