Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2019, 03:36 PM

Any flared, carbon drop bars with holes for internal Di2 routing?

I want something like my Cowbells, with 12-16 degree flare, in carbon, with holes to run the cable connecting the shifters internally using the bar end junction box.
I bought some Easton EC70 AX bars. Sold as Di2 compatible with the bar end junction box, but they only have one hole on the right side for the Junction box.
Something like the Shimano Pro Discover flare bar in carbon would be good, or a Pro Vibe with flared drops.

Last edited by jdh; 01-27-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:37 PM

Whisky?

just guessing.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
I want something like my Cowbells, in carbon, with holes to run the cable connecting the shifters internally using the bar end junction box.
I bought some Easton EC70 AX bars. Sold as Di2 compatible with the bar end junction box, but they only have one hole on the right side for the Junction box.
Something like the Shimano Pro Discover flare bar in carbon would be good, or a Pro Vibe with flared drops.
what do you mean by this?

also, how much flare are you looking for?

Pretty sure that Ritchey makes quite a few bars (at least the carbon traditional round bar and traditional round + stem set-up) that allow internal routing. 3t Aeronova may allow the same (those are def flared)

Last edited by echappist; 01-27-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
what do you mean by this?

also, how much flare are you looking for?

Pretty sure that Ritchey makes quite a few bars (at least the carbon traditional round bar and traditional round + stem set-up) that allow internal routing. 3t Aeronova may allow the same (those are def flared)
I edited my post. Looking for something similar to Cowbells (12 degree) but would be fine with the 16 on the Eastons.
3T Aeronova doesn't have the kind of flare I want. They are going on a gravel bike (or whatever term you like). 3T Superghiaia might be a possibility but they look awkward in the pictures. The only flared Ritchey I see are aluminum.
Perhaps I have an odd set of requirements, but I want to have a single Di2 cable exiting the bars.
My current plan is to mill a slot on the left bar end on the Eastons to match the one on the right. I have some reservations about cutting into carbon bars though.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I want something like my Cowbells, with 12-16 degree flare, in carbon, with holes to run the cable connecting the shifters internally using the bar end junction box.
I drilled my Easton EC70X AX... you can look at 3T superghiaia bars
Old 01-27-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
I drilled my Easton EC70X AX... you can look at 3T superghiaia bars
Any hints/tips on doing so? Where did you put the hole? Did you just drill a plain hole? How is the cable angle exiting the bar to the shifter?
Old 01-27-2019, 06:07 PM

I personally drilled a small hole in my Easton EC90AX Carbon handlebars and all is good.

I use the Shimano Di2 Junction Box in the end of the handlebars and drilled a hole about 2" up on the underside of the handlebar end taped the E-Wire down from the hole up to the shifter.

Unless you're worried about some type of warranty drill the handlebars
Old 01-27-2019, 06:09 PM

There's a new 3T That the Rides in Japan guy used for his new Open Up build. Looks pretty sick.

Really sick.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Any hints/tips on doing so? Where did you put the hole? Did you just drill a plain hole? How is the cable angle exiting the bar to the shifter?
I used a dremel to start me a pilot hole (very small) .. then a reg drill and many bits enlarging the hole a little each time. Also dropped some freehub oil (as a lube)because it didn't want the carbon to frey.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:04 PM

Easton

Easton doesn't also have a hole on the left side?

I have a set of Zipp road bars- They have holes about 2 inches from end of drops on both sides.
What you are supposed to do is fish a DI2 wire all the way through the bars to connect the left and right sides. Then you need to use one of the splitter cables on the right side.
It is a pain to do but results in very clean DI2 routing.
I only have 1 DI2 cable coming out of the right side- It get shrink wrapped down to my brake hose- No exposed wires at all on my Open.

Quote:
Old 01-27-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Easton doesn't also have a hole on the left side?

I have a set of Zipp road bars- They have holes about 2 inches from end of drops on both sides.
What you are supposed to do is fish a DI2 wire all the way through the bars to connect the left and right sides. Then you need to use one of the splitter cables on the right side.
It is a pain to do but results in very clean DI2 routing.
I only have 1 DI2 cable coming out of the right side- It get shrink wrapped down to my brake hose- No exposed wires at all on my Open.
That is exactly what I want for routing, but with flared drops.

Yes, the Easton's only have a single hole/slot, on the right. You have to run the cable connecting the left shifter externally as-is.

Another John H.