Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
https://www.planetbike.com/store/alx...wide-50mm.html

Struts already attached!

Also your hammered fenders didn't rattle because they were metal or hammered :-)
+1 on Planet Bike fenders. I've had a set for about 10 years. no rattles and i've never had to readjust them. And the are very affordable.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:08 PM

Another endorsement for the planet bike slx
The cascadias are very good as well
Old 12-22-2018, 01:53 AM

Berthoud!
Old 12-22-2018, 06:24 AM

I didn’t care for raceblades at all. +1 on planet bike fenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2018, 08:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankldu View Post
bike is steel charge plug 58 cm , i had the metal hammered type before , i think i remember them rattling quite a bit .
Which ever you choose, if you intend to ride on dirt..make sure they are a 'quick release' type..to prevent this. The higher end plastic ones seem to work well, aren't noisy, aren't big buck$, MUCH easier to install.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:31 AM

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...inmann+fenders

I have these shorty fenders that might do the trick. They don't require a great deal of hardware or setup adjustment.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:02 AM

Keep in mind that the more coverage a fender has (the longer they are) the better protection from water, BUT the more noise they will make and the more difficult it is to keep them in adjustment; also if they are made of aluminium they will make more noise then plastic. The good news is with your bike is that it comes with fender mount braze ons so rattling is reduced but it will still be there if you get full coverage.

I can't say if Planet Bike is better than SKS since I've never owned the SKS fenders so I can only comment on my experiences with the Planet Bike Cascadia.

I have Planet Bike Cascadia fenders on my touring bike, they cover really nicely, but don't let anyone fool you, they will make a bit of noise, not a lot of noise but it's there nonetheless. All any fender manufacture uses are those thin connector rods you see in the pictures (and a support at the brake bridge; plus mine are also supported at the stays just before they go into the seat tube because my bike has a kickstand plate, not sure how they connect that if a bike doesn't have that plate), those rods are not stiff enough and move while riding even over fairly smooth roads which means over rough roads they will move quite a bit, all that movement will make noise, and all that noise is coming from the back half of the fender that is supported only by those rods, the front half with the brake bridge and the kickstand fasteners are quite rigid. If someone tells me theirs don't make noise may I suggest you get your ears checked. I've checked into this noise issue with mine at several LBS's and they all said there is nothing you can do about it, they all will make some noise, and it's the rear one that makes the most noise because it's longer than the front and thus moves more, in fact I don't think I've heard any noise from the front.

Also as these fenders move eventually they go out of adjustment and have to be readjusted; to give you example of how frequently they go out, I took my bike on two short tours after having them installed, and the fender in the rear shifted slowly to one side allowing the fender to be too close to the tire and would rub the tire when it flexed while riding, so I readjusted it, checked all the fasteners for tightness, 2 tours later it had shifted again, this happens frequently. The front one fender is a bit shorter than the rear so that one seems to stay in adjustment really well and only had to readjust that one once.

I do live in an area that has rough roads due to freeze and thaw cycles that makes potholes, cracks and buckles in the roads, plus I ride back country roads a lot and a lot of those are chip and seal roads which are rougher than normal roads, so my roads are rougher than perhaps the average road, so all that extra banging my bike does I'm sure plays a role in the noise factor and the frequent adjustment to the fenders.

So far after 3 years of using these fenders they have held up really nicely in the looks department and have not cracked anywhere that I could see, even the rubber flaps at the end of the fenders are in excellent condition. While 3 years is not a long time, but the way they appear they should last at least another 9 years and probably longer unless I run into a problem with the adjustment thing. The only problem I've had in materials are those rods, they are kind of fragile and can bend a bit if you make even slight contact with them, but they are easy to bend back, this is another reason why I think they should be a tad thicker. Also you have to make sure that once you have the fenders installed and adjusted that at least on the front fender that you cut the metal rods that are near the rubber flap just about 1/8th of an inch longer than the rubber end covers are, otherwise there is a good chance your feet could make contact with those rods while pedaling and turning at the same time bending one or both of the rod ends, so by making it shorter your foot should miss it. Those rubber end caps by the way do not last long, not sure why they even include them!

I think the companies that make these fenders need to add another brace to rear full fenders instead of just two on each side, or perhaps slightly larger diameter rods to increase stiffness, that would help with some of the noise and keep them from going out of adjustment as much; but they know that bike riders are weight weenies and the extra set of braces or larger diameter ones would make the bike too heavy to pedal...

I kind of wish I had gone with the Planet Bike Hardcore fenders (not sure if they are made for my bike) because they are a bit shorter in the rear and thus all that movement and readjustment mess I have would have probably been considerably reduced. But I'm also not sure how well the Hardcore attaches to the bike so my thought process about the noise etc could be wrong.

Also, if this matters, 25% of the profit from the sale of any Planet Bike product goes towards Bicycle Advocacy, I'm not sure what that organization is since there is no listing for such an organization on the internet that I could find (maybe someone can find it here and post it), I have a feeling it's a group of cycling related non profit organizations that they split their money up between.