Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2018, 09:08 PM

Think back and try to remember the things you wanted to do, but couldn't because you couldn't take the time. When you only have weekends and a few weeks of vacation, you're limited to what you can do, Now that you have the gift of time, take advantage of it.

Enjoy!
Old 12-20-2018, 09:17 PM

Some good words here.
Congrats op. Retirement seems a long way off for me so im envious. Enjoy the life youve earned
Old 12-21-2018, 09:20 AM

have been retired for 2.5 years...people cautioned me that I'd probably get bored and suggested that I should consider getting a part-time job.

hasn't been the case...I find it very easy to fill my days. get up, shower, make bfast, catch up on news / email, ride 25-40 miles, go to lunch, swim, work in the yard, cocktail hour, dinner, read, watch movies...repeat as necessary.

throw in domestic chores, running errands, house projects, and random things like happy hours, massages, doctor appts, etc. and there's really not much downtime.

traveled to FL twice this year, once for cave diving and then again to crew on a friend's motor yacht that was cruising from TX to NJ.

thought I might resume playing golf after a long lay-off, but it's way too time-consuming. would interfere with too many other things. currently toying with the idea of getting my pilot's license...

my only advice for those contemplating retiring is to do it sooner rather than later. I find that life without the aggravations of office life (pointless meetings, performance reviews, etc etc) is pretty glorious...
Old 12-21-2018, 09:42 AM

I was hoping to be retired at 40 but that didn't work out

All I do when I am at work all day is think about all the things I'd rather be doing if I didn't have to work. Not that I hate my job, I don't but I will never suffer from lack of things to do that's for sure.

My father retired and after about a month had to go back to work. So he consulted for the US Government for about a year before he finally woke up and said, what the hell am I doing commuting to D.C. every day, I'm retired... And has enjoyed his retirement ever since. He drove an ambulance for several years, does lots of volunteer work but if he wants to chill out and do nothing all day too he's happy to do it.

I guess what I am saying is, get over any temptation to go back to work. You did your time.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Congratulations! I will join the ranks of the retired on Feb. 28 of next year, right after I reach my social security age of 66. I've been a lawyer for 35 years and may keep up my bar membership and law license just in case somebody needs me to do something. Also, Nooch, if you save enough money you don't need to worry about having finished paying off your mortgage. I will still be making a mortgage payment for several more years. Don't let this supposed impediment shape your whole thinking about the future. I hope to be able to continue biking, esp with retired friends who bike just about every day, and to visit friends and siblings in other states without having to worry about using precious leave or other time constraints. I'll have more time to hike with my two Golden Retrievers too; right now doing nature hikes with them competes with doing bike rides with my recreational touring club so I look forward to having as much time as I like for both activities.
Of course, why is the market diving just two months before I am retiring???? So infuriating!
Old 12-21-2018, 10:14 AM

Congratulations!

No first-hand advice because I'm still a few years away.

My first suggestion would be, besides cycling, spend more time on your hobbies. If you don't fish, learn how. You can burn up a lot of time fishing.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:14 AM

Congrats! You must have seen a huge change in technology during your career. Good controls engineers are hard to come by and I am sure you will be missed.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:23 AM

CONGRATS!

I know quite a few retired folks (family friends) from all walks of the socieconomic/professional spectrum, from blue collar trades to high power executive. Some love it and are busy as all get out in so many ways, including athletically. Some got fat, as in really fat. Lotsa restaurants suddenly available to go to whenever they want and no self-control on the eating & drinking aspect (life's a party). No bueno there. And others are bored and regret not being in the flow, i.e., retiring way too soon. That's somewhat on them though, they could have well gotten back out to consult, mentor, etc., but for whatever reason lacked that extra personal oomph to do so.

Retirement is highly personal. I hope you enjoy yours!