Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2018, 08:53 PM

Rudy Project optical dock

Came across this. Looks very similar to what I have on my Adidas Evil Eye Halfrim Pros.
I already have a pair of Rydons so I may even get a set of lenses as backup.
Anyone here using them? I'll have to inquire about the Rx they can handle.

https://www.rudyproject.com/ww/en/te...ical-dock.html
Old 12-15-2018, 11:14 PM
Two wheels good

Cool idea. I have a mild prescription though so I recently ordered a set of Rudy Rydons from SportRX with the prescription lenses cut to the standard Rydon shape.
I've had good luck with SportRX with prescription motorcycle glasses but this first set of Rydons they sent were really wrong. I think they literally forgot to add the script to the lenses. They the are remaking them now and I'm looking forward to getting them soon.

Last edited by avalonracing; 12-16-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 01:54 AM

That looks like a really bad experience. Hope they get it right this time.

Well they could have send you somebody elses lenses, if that was the mistake then they got a QC problem, "always check the stuff before closing the darn box."
Old 12-16-2018, 06:35 AM

I ditched contacts in 2016 and have been happy with my Rudy Project prescription Stratofly since. I had RP fill the prescription and experienced zero issues.

I'm fortunate that my correction is reasonable; unfortunately an astigmatism in each eye complicates everything.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:40 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

I have been a long time Sports Optical (Denver) customer and have always found them to be top notch and spot on.

Glad the other guys are quickly replacing the bad lenses.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:51 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Looking at the picture, I wonder how much periferak vision will be lost by the frame

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:40 AM
Two wheels good

Yeah, I think the SportRX thing was just a weird screw up. As I said I don't think there was ANY prescription in the lenses. But as I don't want to pay $550 for regular Rudy sunglasses I figured I'd send them back for the missing script.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post
Came across this. Looks very similar to what I have on my Adidas Evil Eye Halfrim Pros.

Also thinking to try this dock system. The representative from Rudy Project told me it can only handle +2.75 to -4.0. However I've found a YouTube video from a German optician where they showed they successfully made glasses with this system for people with -7.0 or even -12.0! But I think they may be using high-index (at least 1.67) for these prescription which does not have the same impact resistance as the polycarbonate lenses Rudy Project officially uses/recommends.

FYI, the size of the dock system lens would be 54 x 34mm or 54 x 35mm depending on the frame model.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloo View Post

Is this just a new version of the RX adapter? I used one of those for years with old Rudy Ekimov frames. It worked well, but the lenses could fog in humidity and in the winter. It was nice to be able to change lenses in my glasses for different conditions, and use the adapter with RX inserts. I had a pretty hefty RX.

I switched to Rydons with photochromatic RX lenses many years ago and prefer those. I got lenses that change from close-to-clear to very dark, and they work in all conditions, and in the woods when I’m on my MTB.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:30 AM

Just call Sports Optical.

My Rydons with Rx that Rudy Project says can't be done didn't cost $550, or at least wouldn't have if I had gotten one set of Rx lenses.. I got 2 sets for about $700 IIRC.

No clunky full perimeter frame, full wrap around, no issues at all, probably the toughest lenses in terms of scratch resistance I've ever had.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
Also thinking to try this dock system. The representative from Rudy Project told me it can only handle +2.75 to -4.0. However I've found a YouTube video from a German optician where they showed they successfully made glasses with this system for people with -7.0 or even -12.0! But I think they may be using high-index (at least 1.67) for these prescription which does not have the same impact resistance as the polycarbonate lenses Rudy Project officially uses/recommends.

FYI, the size of the dock system lens would be 54 x 34mm or 54 x 35mm depending on the frame model.
Sports optical will do Rydons, etc.. in that -7.0 to -12.0 range.

How often do you break lenses? I've never broken a lens, I have broken frames in crashes, I used to ride in my regular Rx glasses, but I never once had a lens shatter.

I would not be afraid at all of using high index lenses, IIRC they are still polycarbonate they're just a different type.