Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2021, 11:56 AM

As people are saying, trail bikes (130 - 140 mm travel, let's say) pedal so well. And they are right. But, I would still say to get a bike that is 100/100 or max 120/120. The 100/100 bikes pedal much better that the trail bike and are whippets on fast, flowy, not gnarly terrain -- terrain that I feel your friend will be riding on.

people are way too overbiked these days. do not get overrbiked!

i used to own the OG Ripley. I thought it was the best bike I ever owned. But now, after owning many other FS bikes, have a BMC Fourstroke 01 with 100/100 travel.

For living in the Colorado Front range, I take this bike everywhere. It is a bullet and perfect for my needs. Have set PRs on all of the trails I ever took the Ripley (and otehr FS bikes as well). And yes, I enjoy it much better than the OG Ripley!

One bike that joostx suggested which I think you should really consider -- pivot mach 4 sl.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:59 AM

How does reach, stack, angles change with the longer setup? Curious, because I'm on a 160/140 bike right now that pedals really well but my wandering eye has me looking at shorter travel sleds.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:00 PM

I'll add my vote for a Ripley. I love how DW link bikes ride and I think Ibis is making some of the best. A used Ripley will be wonderful.

The Banshee Phantom would be another great option. I've had a couple FS Banshees (currently ride their hardtail, the Paradox V3) and I think that they're spot on in terms of geometry and value. The rear dropouts also make their frames very friendly as a used option - they can be run with 142 or 148 thru axles and built as 27.5+ or 29 all depending on the rear dropout selected.

Either way you'll have a blast!
Old 09-17-2021, 10:42 AM
Rockstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudAwkning View Post
Check out the BMC Fourstroke as well. 100 travel front/rear. I own a 2015 FS02. Still ride it today. It can handle quite a bit. I've raced it at the TT100 and ridden Rose 2 Toads on it.
Would you say the fourstroke is a pure race bike geo, or suitable for a long day on the bike.

Those Tahoe rides look are out of reach but sure look awesome.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:10 PM

Hey NHAero I ride a large Tallboy 4 and am in Falmouth if you want to take the boat over and try it. I really like SC bikes but that's me.
I think Buzzards Bay Bikes might have (theyhad) a Yeti SB115 and I think that would also work for your riding. They do a Thursday night ride at Otis in Falmouth. If you need a lift to/from the boat I might be able to help.
Like the saying about being over/under dressed.... You would be better to be over than underbiked.
Because hopefully you get to ride off island sometimes. And we're not getting any younger.
Seasports in Hyannis has the $2.5k base stumpjumper in stock which is a lot of bike for the money and I almost bought one for my son but ended up getting the teenager a hardtail.
bottom line: lots of great options, but XC FS bikes (not for racing) have evolved and are better now than 5ish years ago so I would just get a new bike given used bike prices. Unless you luck out...
Happy trails!

Last edited by jh_on_the_cape; 09-17-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:35 PM

Yeti SB115 gets a vote from me. I have one and it ticks all the boxes for a MTB that can do most things well. The quality and finish is also excellent.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:50 PM
Vendor

I'll suggest the Ibis Ripley or Exie. I have the longer travel Ripmo myself because I still like going as fast as I can. I swapped bikes on a ride with a friend who was on a Ripley. The Ripley felt like a much more efficient climber. I'm not giving up on the Ripmo and its downhill prowess, but I wouldn't have been disappointed had I ended up with a Ripley. Based on the description you provided, I think either the Ripley or Exie would be perfect. I've spent a lot of time on 90s mtbs and the stuff being put out today is leaps and bounds over what it was.