Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2021, 01:33 PM

Ordering from Merlin UK--shipping charges?

Question for the hive mind--

I see the only shipping option is now DHL--and I remember bad stories in the past of people getting dinged for import duties/custom clearance charges after the order arrived.

I'm looking at parts--and not a lot; definitely under the $800 import cap.

Anyone recently order from them? Will I get dinged for extra charges? (Not sure why Royal Mail is not available as an option...)
Old 09-17-2021, 01:34 PM

DHL has never been an issue for me, but your experience may vary.. DHL tends to deliver very fast.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:37 PM

Ordered from both Merlin and ProBikeKit for under $800 USD (including shipping) without additional import fees. DHL is surprisingly fast.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:46 PM
Time & Bikes

Sometime this summer I ordered o’wise unavailable four Gravel King SS tires from them. The DHL shipping was very costly, but the tires so inexpensive that the actual shipped price was still quite good.

Took 2-3 days to get here. NP with delivery. No import duties.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:51 PM

I believe the DHL issues others have posted here about were specific to receiving shipments in Canada, not the U.S.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:54 PM

Thanks all--order placed. I added a few bits and bob necessities to get as much as I could for the base flat shipping fee.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:32 PM

Hey all. I recently ordered a CAMPY SR 12 speed crank from PBK. They charged tax and the total bill was a hair over the $800 limit. It seems to come out of Spain for some reason, took a while to reach me here on the West Coast (10 days I believe) BUT I was not hit or dinged for customs charges.

Now, I need a CAMPY wheel set which I have found from a few online European sites. My hesitation is getting hit with charges & duties. There is another option.. CRC will pay the duty BUT their price is around $150/$200 MORE. If I buy from a retailer other than CRC, and I get hit with charges, is it on the amount OVER the $800 limit? or is it on the entire amount? Does anyone have any idea or suggestions?

So ... Do I roll the dice and buy from the site that has a lower price BUT might get hit once it lands in the USA or go with the duty paid CRC price and pay the "premium" and have it sail thru customs with no issues?

Is the "premium" worth it? That $200 could be a new pair of Q36.5 or Assos bibs or a new Velobici jersey (or Isadore jersey)
So, WWYD?

Last edited by kitsnob; 09-17-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsnob View Post
So ... Do I roll the dice and buy from the site that has a lower price BUT might get hit once it lands in the USA or go with the duty paid CRC price and pay the "premium" and have it sail thru customs with no issues?

Is the "premium" worth it? That $200 could be a new pair of Q36.5 or Assos bibs or a new Velobici jersey (or Isadore jersey)
So, WWYD?
For anything less than a full bike, it's more likely than not that you won't be charged if it's just a little over the limit. The tariff rate on bike parts is less than full bikes, and it's rarely worth the effort to collect if it's only a little over the de minimis exemption. So I would roll the dice if I were you. In expectation, you'll come out ahead.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:36 PM

Noted BUT it's 2.3X the limit/ exemption. The limit is $800. The rimset is around $1650/$1700.
Appreciate all the input/ideas/suggestions.

Thanks in advance all!
Old 09-17-2021, 08:11 PM
That guy..

Here's my most recent DHL story.

Also. My last Merlin purchase were for two pairs of shoes. Arrived with zero extra duty fees. Lucky?

Anyways. Maybe this won't work for you.
But last time I was asked by DHL to pay $xxx to release my package. I requested from DHL the border customs papers. They emailed me the papers and I paid the actual duties/taxes required to clear my package. I showed proof of payment to DHL and they released my package to me. It wasn't much, but there's definitely a small fee for DHL included in there. But because I paid actual duty fees. I didn't have to pay 15-25% more to cover DHL fees.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsnob View Post
Noted BUT it's 2.3X the limit/ exemption. The limit is $800. The rimset is around $1650/$1700.
Appreciate all the input/ideas/suggestions.

Thanks in advance all!
Unless the shipper hits you with some crazy fees, you could pay the tariff and still come out ahead if this is saving you $150 over the alternative. I believe the tariff for bicycle wheels is in the single digits.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:52 PM

DHL is phenomenal. I’ve never had any issue or fees with them. I just ordered some shoes from Fizik in the early hours on Wednesday morning in Italy and they showed up today, Friday, at my door via DHL! Same with Absolute Black and La Passione DHL speedy deliveries.

Unlike the totally pathetic service from UPS where a part from TX to VA got as far as Atlanta, no status along the way, gets sent back to TX and back on route again to VA. Only a week and half. And no tracking scans. Same with another UT to VA order with no scans since the origin (4 days) and will be over a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2021, 09:54 PM

i'll chime in.
bought a frame for $1000 from the uk using DHL.
paid $65 in customs and DHL fees.

the frame was not bought from merlin but some other uk vendor.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:31 AM

I've had great experiences with Merlin and DHL. The free shipping from Merlin used to take ages to arrive but since they've switched to paid DHL items often arrive faster than they would from within the lower 48. Only downside I see is that it's not free, but their prices are usually good enough that if my order is big enough I still end up ahead.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:20 AM

I've had nothing but really good luck and quick shipping from Merlin Cycles, and lately from Sigma Sports. Last Friday I ordered several things, including parts from each of those two(over $800 from Merlin, with free shipping and no duties). I also ordered some handlebars from a shop on the East coast... The handlebars are in Hawaii for some reason(I live in CA), while I've already received my orders from the UK via DHL...